It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brain Buckets
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:36 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

11mongo11 wrote:
Popped collar moron. Thank you, Kentucky J. I now have a label for those guys who like the FORMER, OLDER, '80's dress code. I will share gear with you, also.

Ahem.
:P
:D

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:18 pm 

Excellent. She saisd yes to the pic cause she knows him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:31 pm 

MIKE_the_MILITANT wrote:
That Russian helmet is pretty cool, but nothing says, "I CAN KILL YOU!" quite like this.
http://www.internationalbodyarmor.com/BodyArmor/HardArmor/BallisticFaceMask/#
Who would not want one. :D

That does have a Tacticool factor there but looks like it might reduce your vision a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:45 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I picked up a Bell low-profile skate helmet the other night for wearing to ZS seminars in full tac-gear. It took a few hours of work to get it where I wanted it to be, but I'm happy with the results.

I lightly sanded it to rough up the glossy enamel, then hit it with a few coats of flat black Rustoleum Industrial.

Then I stencilled my name on the back.

Like I said, I'm happy with it. It looks tacticLOL for when ZS rolls heavy into a seminar in full tac gear, but is also a useful addition to my emergency stuff.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:27 pm 

Crypto that looks cool . Get some ZS stickers and make a mowhawk on it . :D

Then it would be badass !

Anyone know much about climbing helmets ? Think they cover the ears a little more . Dont know which would be lighter between that or a skate helmet ...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:00 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

back when i was in the army (and dinosaurs roamed the plains), I wore the old steel pot in school and the K pot when I was on active duty. Both will feel heavy when wore with a LBE, but when you have a 60 pound ruck on your back, you really don't notice.

One day on a civilian range, one of the shooters had a surplus K pot obtained from a surplus store (size small). Anyway, he was gonna nail it with a 5.56 to see what happened, some of convinced him to let us try some 9mm at 25 meters before he hit it with the 5.56. Long story short, all rounds penetrated the helmet. By the end it looked like a fuzzball with all the fiber sticking out.

The K pot on the old flak jackets were never mean to stop small arms fire, they were designed to stop shrapnel, the source of 80% of all combat wounds.

That being said, if its a shooting war with mortors, artillery and grenades, I'd opt for ballistic protection, if its the zombie hordes, I'd go with the Pro-Tec

Glock Certified Armorer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:05 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I recently bought a Pro-Tec skakeboard helmet for use while riding my bicycle. I opted for the flat "Desert Sand" color, so it matches my bike, which is currently Krylon Camouflage ultra-flat Khaki. I then slipped a Rayovac headlamp over it and secured the headband to the helmet with velcro straps. It's got a red LED "safety light" on the back, and the front white LED tilts so I can adjust the angle (whether it illuminates the road in front of me, or stuff farther away) for when I ride.

I can't deny that I was thinking of Black Hawk Down and playing Seal Team Six by myself in the house when I bought it. It's a great accessory for "nude patrol."

It also came in handy this weekend, when we went up to Wisconsin to go spelunking. We didn't actually go into any caves per se, but it came in handy as a light source for our cameraperson to wear on her head as she filmed my wife for a video/performance art piece we were making. (The headlamp alone would have done as well.)

Since my bugout plan involves my bicycle, I'll probably be wearing it. If I'm driving, I'll keep it with the bike. If I'm forced to leave the bike and proceed on foot, I'll probably take the headlamp off and leave the helmet with the bike. But if I were going down into a storm drain or something, it'd be good to have.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:36 pm 

Jeriah, I hope you got a multi-sport version, as the skateboard-specific Protec's dont' protect the same.

Right now I use a Classic Skate, sprayed OD krylon. It's a skate helmet but I've been using on my bike (yeah, hypocritical of me right now) and it's taken a hit or two. HOWEVER...

I plan on upgrading to an ACE-II (authentic Pro-Tec of course). It's much more aerodynamic, and it's CPSC approved for multisport use, i.e. rock climbing, skateboarding, and bicycling all in one. The multisport Protec's use an extruded foam like what standard bike helmets have, except that after it compresses to absorb impact, it will eventually return to shape, so it's reusable.

Seriously, people.If you're gonna get a helmet, please get a CPSC-aproved multisport type. Helmet = cheap, Life = expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:39 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

SilentVectorX wrote:
Jeriah, I hope you got a multi-sport version, as the skateboard-specific Protec's dont' protect the same.

Right now I use a Classic Skate, sprayed OD krylon. It's a skate helmet but I've been using on my bike (yeah, hypocritical of me right now) and it's taken a hit or two. HOWEVER...

I plan on upgrading to an ACE-II (authentic Pro-Tec of course). It's much more aerodynamic, and it's CPSC approved for multisport use, i.e. rock climbing, skateboarding, and bicycling all in one. The multisport Protec's use an extruded foam like what standard bike helmets have, except that after it compresses to absorb impact, it will eventually return to shape, so it's reusable.

Seriously, people.If you're gonna get a helmet, please get a CPSC-aproved multisport type. Helmet = cheap, Life = expensive.

Mine makes the same claim regarding returning to shape after compression, but no, it's skateboard-specific. I've seen some others I like better, but for now, I'm rolling with the, it's comfortable, it fits me, and it's better than nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:43 pm 

Helmet of truth-->http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot29.htm

those old guys rule.

Almost complete 9mm AR for sale http://www.armslist.com/posts/215093/to ... and-loader

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:52 pm 

I own armor, thus I use armor.

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:05 pm 

You went over my helmet?

Ive been told by various members to get a "bliss" kit for my pasgt. They look real comfy, but it makes my cheapo kevlar surplus a lot more expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:28 pm 

There are a number of surplus riot helmets (complete with face shields) pretty cheap on eBay right now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:15 am 

MIKE_the_MILITANT wrote:
That Russian helmet is pretty cool, but nothing says, "I CAN KILL YOU!" quite like this.
http://www.internationalbodyarmor.com/BodyArmor/HardArmor/BallisticFaceMask/#
Who would not want one. :D

Okay, common courtesy please, if in the unfortunate chance of events you get bitten by a zombie take the kevlar mask covering your face off, please.

Anyways, I figure a helmet would be a sensible thing right along with body armor (I already own several sets of both) Humanity is a violent thing, so if the world fell apart sure there will be plenty of good people like the ones here on ZS, but it only takes a few people who get a hold of a National Guard armory to really ruin your day. I vote yes on kevlar protection in general.

What should you do? You should look the world in the face and spit in it's eye. Die with your finger on the trigger and a curse on your lips. Realize your damned but try anyways.

"Stack on me"

Last edited by Oni on Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:29 pm 

I'm pretty happy, I found a decent deal at a local surplus store.

So I fixed it up a bit with some painters tape and some flat black spray paint.
It's no pro job, but it works for me.

http://wraa.deviantart.com/art/Hard-Cover-100638060

W'raa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:30 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Bought a used USGI Kevlar helmet, size XL, at Knob Creek this weekend. Paid $125 because the XL size is rare and I have a giant noggin. This thing is heavy and I really feel for our troops who have to wear them; the neck strain must be intense. But, if I was being shot at, I'd want to have it on.

On my personal armor front, I've now got Level IIIA body armor and this helmet; both need MultiCam carriers and I'd like to get a set of rifle plates for the vest. Those are more of a long-term luxury, though. I don't expect to be involved in any situation where I'll need body armor...but you never know.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:43 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

swiftytheavenger wrote:

those old guys rule.

They certainly do.

You know, it would probably hurt like hell, getting shot in the helmet with that .45, but it sure beats a perforated brain.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:22 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

farblue wrote:
swiftytheavenger wrote:

those old guys rule.

They certainly do.

You know, it would probably hurt like hell, getting shot in the helmet with that .45, but it sure beats a perforated brain.

+1.

Hey farblue, off topic but, what's the story on your avatar? It looks like an Ed Pashke painting. (I like it.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:47 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Jeriah wrote:
farblue wrote:
swiftytheavenger wrote:

those old guys rule.

They certainly do.

+1.

Hey farblue, off topic but, what's the story on your avatar? It looks like an Ed Pashke painting. (I like it.)

It's a Charles Atlas animation from Monty Python. No story, I just like those crazy British loons.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:13 pm 

I just dug out a bunch of old east german army crap ive got, i compared the NVA helmet to an old ww2 stahlhelm.

that east german one realy sucks compared to the ww2 one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:25 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Wore my new K-pot as part of my Halloween costume last night. Heavy enough that I'd definitely leave it at home if I were bugging out on foot, unless lead was actively flying at the time I left. But, I wore it for about six hours, got a feel for it. I could wear it for a while if I had to. Sure sympathize with the guys who have to wear 'em day and night, though. Someone ought to start a "back, neck, and shoulder massages for the troops" campaign.

Wore the body armor, too. That shit gets pretty warm, and it was a cool night out (not cold, but pleasantly cool). Another item I'd definately not want to be wearing while walking long distances, and again, I feel for the guys who don't have a choice. Must suck. (But beats a perforated lung or whatever.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:48 pm 

The level111 tactical face mask wearer can easily be defeated. You just shout "get back in the box" then lock it.

I'm not sure about the skater helmets but the polystyrene the bike helmets are made from is designed to self destruct under a sever impact. I read labels and a lot of the premium helmets will send you a replacement if that happens. But that doesn't help after the apocalypse. They can take a lot of abuse and knocks but something real hard, something that wouldn't just leave a nasty bump will end the helmets usefulness.

I'm a mountain biker and have done a lot of falling off at low speeds, bouncing into rocks and trees etc. Also had a high speed major tumble (45mph) and fractured my helmet. That cracked the helmet.
The big advantage to these helmets is, they don't block your line of sight, your hearing, and weigh practically nothing. There designed to be aero-dynamic so don't whistle either.

Soon I'll be asking the old old old often asked questions about pistols...USP, P226(very sexy), SR9 (sexy), Glock 17, 92fs, FN9 etc and ammo choice (but not caliber, I want a 9mm so I can practice more)....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:18 pm 

That's why mentioned the CPSC multisport helmets. They do everything and are reusable.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:08 am 

I say have both, a sport helmet, pro-tec, multi-use...whatever. And a kevlar that can stop III-A. Sure it's a little pricey but it's not a bad idea to have one. It won't stop rifle rounds but since we face a lot of pistol threats more than rifle threats in a domestic situation, it's not a bad idea. You can always stash the damn thing if it turns out to be useless.

I will say this... spend the money for a good suspension. If you get an old pagst style helmet, get the aero-tek or whoever upgrade. That standard army suspension sucks balls and hurts the fuck out of your scalp. Yeah I"ve worn em plenty and yes you can harden your head a bit. But it blows, if you don't have to do it, don't.

the new mich/ach helmets have the padding style suspension and are much more comfortable. So... make sure it's sized right, and get the best suspension for it that you can.

-D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next