It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brain Buckets
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:57 am 

Well at the very least if you have any kind of guard duty at night at your bol it could help if someone tries to knock you in the head so they can get in quietly and get there hands on your coveted supply or reesescups.And has no one considered the brain eating zombies ? human teeth can't bite through a helmet.Plus all those years the steal helmet was in use it served a lot of purposes the didn't include wearing it on the head.You can cook in it,wash in it,shave and I remember a couple of stories I heard where the steal pot was used as a last ditch weapon.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:23 am 

I can tell you this.

Wearing a K-pot on a hot day, with the rest of your gear on, makes everything seem twice as heavy.

Don't know why that is. Don't care.

It wouldn't hurt to have one around if you were expecting a fight, though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:27 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Wolfhvnter wrote:
I can tell you this.

Wearing a K-pot on a hot day, with the rest of your gear on, makes everything seem twice as heavy.

Don't know why that is. Don't care.

It wouldn't hurt to have one around if you were expecting a fight, though.

They get hotter than shit depending on what they're painted with too. I've burned my ears.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:04 am 

Kentucky J wrote:
If anyone here has any first hand experience contrary to my observations, I'm more than willing to change my outlook on this subject.

Boredom, a range day and a platoon's worth of K-Pots that were over their expiration date lead us to the following conclusions:

1) K-Pots bounce nicely when nearly hit by 40mm HEDP.
2) 7.62 from a G3 and MG-3 goes out the other side at 500m most of the time.
3) 5.56 from a G36 penetrates one side at 500m, and sometimes the other.
4) 9mm shot out of an MP2 (Uzi to you non-Germans) will not reliably penetrate. It will dent the inside, but we only observed three holes in eleven rounds. Ranges were 25-200m.
4.1) Our MP2s still really show their age (quelle surprise). We had two that fired FA all the time, and went off when dropped. Also the safety did not work.
5) 9mm from a handgun will never penetrate. Even at two feet.
6) At a different occasion, it was demonstrated that detonating a DM51A1 frag grenade under the helmet will send it flying very high, but not put holes in it.

edits: I forgot, all this is steel (tungsten in case of the 7.62) core ammo, standard Army issue.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
No one on ZS worth their membership would be in a frozen forest, alone, without being loaded out like they've got Les Fucking Stroud himself in their enormous and ergonomic backpack.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:43 am 

Yeah, I think that about the only thing that's going to reliably protect from a rifle round or a dedicated AP round is a half inch of titanium. But then, who wants to wear a 40-pound helmet all day?

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:06 am 

Maeklos wrote:
Yeah, I think that about the only thing that's going to reliably protect from a rifle round or a dedicated AP round is a half inch of titanium. But then, who wants to wear a 40-pound helmet all day?

The Russians.

Ive worn one. It sucks balls. Even with the ballistic shield removed, it feels like you have a toddler duct taped to your head. With the shield in place it is actually a bit better balanced, but weighs more.... sooooo... yeah.

The steel models are rated to stop all pistol ammo, even AP. The ti models will supposedly stop 7.62x54R.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:36 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

KeepItSimpleStupid wrote:
Maeklos wrote:

The Russians.

Ive worn one. It sucks balls. Even with the ballistic shield removed, it feels like you have a toddler duct taped to your head. With the shield in place it is actually a bit better balanced, but weighs more.... sooooo... yeah.

The steel models are rated to stop all pistol ammo, even AP. The ti models will supposedly stop 7.62x54R.

You're not a real man unless you can perfectly execute a backflipping hatchet attack while wearing one of those.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:42 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Even if it stopped the 7.62x54R, I bet the impact would break your neck.

Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:04 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

That German Guy wrote:
Kentucky J wrote:
If anyone here has any first hand experience contrary to my observations, I'm more than willing to change my outlook on this subject.

Boredom, a range day and a platoon's worth of K-Pots that were over their expiration date lead us to the following conclusions:

1) K-Pots bounce nicely when nearly hit by 40mm HEDP.
2) 7.62 from a G3 and MG-3 goes out the other side at 500m most of the time.
3) 5.56 from a G36 penetrates one side at 500m, and sometimes the other.
4) 9mm shot out of an MP2 (Uzi to you non-Germans) will not reliably penetrate. It will dent the inside, but we only observed three holes in eleven rounds. Ranges were 25-200m.
4.1) Our MP2s still really show their age (quelle surprise). We had two that fired FA all the time, and went off when dropped. Also the safety did not work.
5) 9mm from a handgun will never penetrate. Even at two feet.
6) At a different occasion, it was demonstrated that detonating a DM51A1 frag grenade under the helmet will send it flying very high, but not put holes in it.

edits: I forgot, all this is steel (tungsten in case of the 7.62) core ammo, standard Army issue.

Dude. You are so fucking money.

Really. That is awesome. Someone get this man a beer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:37 pm 

phil_in_cs wrote:

This is Russia we're talking about! Life is cheap, equipment is not. If the helmet survives...great! If the soldier dies, there's always another one. :)

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:46 pm 

Kentucky J wrote:
Dude. You are so fucking money.

Really. That is awesome. Someone get this man a beer.

Want pics? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: We keep those things in the basement somewhere to show to recruits, the lesson being "your helmet is a Good Thing (the ones that held up are shown), but keeping your head down is a Better Thing (they get to see the other ones).

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
No one on ZS worth their membership would be in a frozen forest, alone, without being loaded out like they've got Les Fucking Stroud himself in their enormous and ergonomic backpack.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:48 pm 

phil_in_cs wrote:

Maybe, but I dont think so.

The helmets are really well lined and really heavy. The impact would be absorbed really well internally and the bullet would have A LOT of mass to move before it pushed the helmet anywhere, let alone with bone snapping energy.

It would definitely put you on your ass though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:49 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

That German Guy wrote:
Want pics?

On the behalf of myself and everyone else here, we'd love to see some pics!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:27 am 

Maeklos wrote:
This is Russia we're talking about! Life is cheap, equipment is not. If the helmet survives...great! If the soldier dies, there's always another one. :)
Exactly. In Soviet Russia, helmet wears you!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:31 am 

where's the pics?????

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:34 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

MRbungle wrote:
where's the pics?????

He's German. He has to organize them, and fill out the proper paperwork before he can post them. 8)

Vicarious_Lee wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:18 am 

I'd probably go with one of the Skate helmets you can buy from Amazon. They come in various colours including Camo, and they're designed to protect against bashed skulls rather than bullets so they're not too heavy or hot. If it's raining then it'd probably get strapped to the outside of my ruck while I don my wide-brim to keep the water off. Especially in an urban situation when you could get knocked down by a cyclist or hurrying pedestrian... Or hit on the head by falling debris for that matter, I think they're worth it. Getting shot in the head... Well, if you're that unlucky then a helmet isn't going to save you.

This is an interesting helmet related story, just a shame it's a Hoax. Still, the helmet must have stopped the bullets for it to be believable at all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:25 pm 

Popped collar moron. Thank you, Kentucky J. I now have a label for those guys who like the FORMER, OLDER, '80's dress code. I will share gear with you, also.

I do live in an Urban area. I will probably pick up a helmet. I would like to see one of the newer Kevalar helmets. I missed out on a Bike/skate helmet at a Sports store that was marked down. I'm considering a helmet for, if things fall apart, when I moving, it will be at night. If I gotta get out of an area immediately, I don't want to have a problem brought on by a preventable injury.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:53 pm 

That Russian helmet is pretty cool, but nothing says, "I CAN KILL YOU!" quite like this.
http://www.internationalbodyarmor.com/BodyArmor/HardArmor/BallisticFaceMask/#
Who would not want one. :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:22 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

MIKE_the_MILITANT wrote:
That Russian helmet is pretty cool, but nothing says, "I CAN KILL YOU!" quite like this.
http://www.internationalbodyarmor.com/BodyArmor/HardArmor/BallisticFaceMask/#
Who would not want one. :D

Damn, that is pretty cool. Level IIIA. I'm sure getting shot in the face would still suck a LOT, but better than having nothing between your forehead and a bullet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:13 am 

I think anyone living in an earthquake prone area should have some type of head protection. I have one I use and would take with me if I left the house. In general I think having something to protect your head is a good idea.

DK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:33 pm 

I wear a hard hat about 60 hours per week. You don't realize how often you bump your head until you see all the scratches and nicks your hat develops over time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:43 am 

Czechnology wrote:
MRbungle wrote:
where's the pics?????

He's German. He has to organize them, and fill out the proper paperwork before he can post them. 8)

in triplicate , hahahaha!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:02 pm 

If I learned anything from Home Alone 2, it is that a helmet is always a good idea. You can actually get Pro Tec helmets that are already OD or matte brown. You can even get ones with rails pre-mounted on the sides.

http://www.protechelmet.com/products.asp?cat=14

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next