It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:40 pm 

First, I want to make it clear that I am not an expert, not even close, just a guy who played with some rope and figured out how to wrap a handle. With that said, let me also be clear that this tutorial is intended for a reasonably logical person with at least some critical thinking skills, i.e. “If I pull this, then this will happen.” I will take it through in the least number of steps possible while still conveying what I believe to be a clear depiction of how to make a neatly wrapped paracord handle for your (blank).

Let me begin by giving a few pointers:
1.)
    Expect to rewrap your handle at least once, because you will either have too much cord or too little. I suggest you make a guestimate but don’t cut any cord off your spool to begin with. Start wrapping until you get half way down your handle (or a third), then pinch or mark the extent to which you’ve used the cord and unwrap to use that length as a guide for how much to cut from the spool (I’m assuming you have a spool of paracord).
2.)
    Make everything tight as you go. It might be difficult to get the start of your wrap tight, but once you’ve make several passes around the handle, try to work the cord at the start tight by pushing along the path you’ve already done (follow?). After you’ve made that reasonably tight, keep the cord tight after each pass around the handle (I’ll go into more detail later). Keeping it tight will stop it from unwrapping or slipping under your grip.
3.)
    Be consistent. You’re just creating a pattern, as long as you repeat it, it will look good. If you keep changing it, it will look bad. Simple, right?
4.)
    Have patience, it took me a couple hours to wrap the 14 inches of my tomahawk.

(figure 1)

Let’s get started.
1.)
    Take one end of your cord and hold it at the bottom of your handle. At this point you’ll have to decide if you want a lanyard or not. If you DO want a lanyard for your wrist, let the end of the cord hang down from the bottom of the handle 8 to 12 inches or more, depending on how long you want the lanyard to be.
    (figure 2)

Pinch the cord against the bottom of the handle and extend the loose, long side of the cord toward the top of the handle. Once you’ve reached the top, pinch the cord against the top of the handle, letting go of the bottom. Now, the short end of the cord should be dangling from the top of the handle, down the length of the handle and several inches past the bottom which will become the lanyard. Position the cord you’re pinching against the back of the handle, pressing it firmly against the handle with your thumb. This will become the “spine” and the “looped braid” will be on the front of the handle
    (figure 3)

2.)
    With your other hand, make a loop with the long side of the cord, bending it to the right or left side of the handle, take your pick, whatever feels natural.
    (figure 4)

The loop should be small enough that when wrapped around to the front of the handle, it extends a little past the center point.
    (figure 5)

Bring the loose end of the loop back the way you came, OVER the dangling end of the cord which your other thumb is securing. Now reposition your thumb to press the overlapped cord against the handle FIRMLY. This will be the basic action of the rest of the wrapping.
3.)
    With the loose long section of cord, create another loop in the opposite direction as the one you just did, wrapping it around the handle THROUGH the previous loop.
    (figure 6)

Bring it through enough that it will hold itself in place while you continue wrapping.
    (figure 7)

THIS IS THE HARD PART. There are several points you will have to press against the handle to keep it all from coming undone, and you may wish you had more hands, but it is possible if you have patience. Make sure you always keep the loose end of the loop toward the bottom of the handle and when you put the current loop through the previous loop, make sure the previous loop hasn’t become twisted or it won't look right.
4.)
    Bring the loose end back the way you’ve come, this time going UNDER the dangling short “spine” section of cord. This over-under pattern will create a simple “basket weave” on the rear of the handle. You will likely have to reposition your thumb again to hold the over-under section in place while you wrap
    (figure 8)
    Image.

Once you get several passes done, it will stay in place on it’s own, as long as you’ve gotten everything tight enough.
    (figure 9)

5.)
    At this point you simply repeat the action. Put the new loop through the old loop but you will now have to begin tightening the previous loop.
    (figure 10)

Tighten the previous loop over the new or current loop by pulling on the not-loose, or “fixed” side of the current loop.
    (figure 11)

It helps to make the current loop larger enough to get a good grip on the “fixed” side of the loop. All the while, you will have to use several fingers to hold everything against the handle, so when you pull, it won’t all just come apart.
    (figure 12)

This will get easier the further you get.
6.)
    The loose end of the loop goes back around the handle again the way it came, over or under, depending on the last movement, and then loop around the other side and repeat, keeping everything as tight as possible.
    (figure 13)

(figure 14)

7.)
    I won't go into much detail on finishing the wrap, as every handle is different, so that's for you to figure out. Below are two options.

(figure 15)

(figure 16)

(figure 17)

This is another way to finish the wrap
    (figure 18)

A very simple way to tie-off the end of the lanyard (there are many other ways)
    (figure 19)

And the finished product.
    There's about 50 feet of paracord here (had to cut some off the end, so maybe more like 48')
    (figure 20)

Variation 2:
    To create a more "masculine" (in my opinion) wrap, you're basically using the same technique, except that you're working with two lengths of cord (still one continuous piece), halfed in the middle and wrapped around the top of the handle. You just loop one side, then the other through the first loop. Pull the first loop tight and use the loose end of the first loop to bring around the handle, through the second loop. This can become complicated, so pay attention to what you're doing. It's easy to accidently use the two lengths out of order, and create a reversal that you'll probably only notice once you're done wrapping (which, if you're like me, will drive you insane and you'll have to start over). Just play with it and see what you come up with. You can also create a double spine (which I don't have pictures of yet) but that's for you to figure out.
    Cold Steel Bushman with Variation 2. The handle was already pretty wide, so id didn't work with a spine, it made it too large for my grip.

CRKC Stiff K.I.S.S. using Variation 1

I also have several links to include here for further reference material:
Another Wrapping thread
My originalthread on this topic
Bracelet/band tutorial... kinky though
Cool "keychain," hard to see though

Last edited by scottiej on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:55 am, edited 8 times in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:06 pm 

+1 for another great wrapping thread!! =-D

(*Thinks we need a cordage subforum...mwuhahahaha!!*)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:37 am 

Very cool tutorial. I always wondered how to do stuff like this, now I just need something to wrap on cord!

TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:48 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

THANK YOU!!!!!

(Bookmarking this!)

>>> Join Zombie Squad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:35 pm 

Looks good!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:52 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Ok I know allot about 5-50 wrapping and knots but that's cooler'n'shit and a new one to me even. Thanks a bunch!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:22 am 

Nice write up. Thanks.
DK

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:07 am 

Wrapping your tool handle with a daisy chain, like this, is probably the best way to wrap a handle if you're counting that cordage as stuff to use in a survival situation, because its insanely easy to un-wrap it. Most other forms of wrapping still technically allow you access to the 50' or whatever of cord, but it would take half an hour to un-wrap it. Here, you just have to back-track to fig. 15, and pull on the loose end and it will all come unraveled nice and quick like.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:50 am 

Great post and one of the best tutorials I have ever seen.

Here's a pic of some covering I just did on a walking stick.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:47 am 

Must resist urge....put down the paracord.....
I can't do - I gota wrap something!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:28 am 

Thanks for the How To. I'm not putting paracord on anything yet. I asked for some from a friend and she gave me 100ft of NEON PINK paracord, when the hell did they start making that!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:23 pm 

I can barely tie my shoes and that confused the shit out of me. I wish I could do that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:18 pm 

I can't imagine how it happened :wink: but there is now a Neon Pink cord wrapped Pulaski sitting in they bay right now. I wish I was on tomorrow to see the reaction. Hehe.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:55 pm 

OP send me a PM if you're interested in making this article into a ZSS Feed submission.
You're right, Gunny. I agree that this topic would be an excellent addition to the feed!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:16 pm 

Do it! =-D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:08 pm 

Damn nice work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:35 am 

glad to be of use. if anyone has any questions or problems with the second method of cord wrapping i describe, let me know. i'm currently engaged in weaving myself a belt out of about 75' of 550. the prototype is OD, but the next one will likely be black and could be coupled with a nice buckle knife for those 007 black-tie events.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:46 am 

I really cannot wait to get my hand on some more paracord and go on a wrapping frenzy. Though I don't think my girlfriend will like it very much if she came home and found everything in our bedroom somehow wrapped in paracord...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:12 am 

sworbeyegib wrote:
Though I don't think my girlfriend will like it very much if she came home and found everything in our bedroom somehow wrapped in paracord...

Oh posh, sure she would. It's all artsy right? Or something?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:37 am 

Squirrley wrote:
sworbeyegib wrote:
Though I don't think my girlfriend will like it very much if she came home and found everything in our bedroom somehow wrapped in paracord...

Oh posh, sure she would. It's all artsy right? Or something?

I can see the conversation now

my gf- "Hun, do you think you went a little overboard with the wrapping thing?"

me- "It's practical, its a great way of storing cord in case of an emergency and help keep a grip on things when they are wet and slippery"

my gf- "Is that why you wrapped every bottle of beer in the fridge?"

me- "Yes"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:38 am 

MJS8725 wrote:
Thanks for the How To. I'm not putting paracord on anything yet. I asked for some from a friend and she gave me 100ft of NEON PINK paracord, when the hell did they start making that!

About the same time they did neon green. :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:28 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

and theres glow in the dark too.... great for tent lines... so you dont trip on em when you pee....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:58 pm 

I think this would be an excellent addition to the feed!

Zoltan wrote:
Chimps are fucking dangerous

Don't ever forget your DBP's!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:53 pm 

Great thread - getting plenty of ideas for future projects now!