Tactical Wedding Ring

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Wildeman_13
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Tactical Wedding Ring

Post by Wildeman_13 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:52 pm

Doctor Z. wrote:Just remember with Titanium - if you're injured and your finger swells for whatever reason - they can't cut it off easily.

It'd be easier to cut off your finger. :o
This supposedly applies to Tungsten rings too. They just don't have the tools in the ER to cut the metal off. I wonder if they would cut your finger off, then remove the ring, then reattach the finger. ;P
raptor wrote: Anyone know if there is an asshat gene? If so it must be a dominant gene.
Image Image

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:56 pm

I've been wearing my gold wedding band for 12 years, and my titanium ring for 2 years (a 10th anniversary present from my wife)...never had a mishap or broken finger or degloving...yet...

...and yes, the titanium ring is inscribed with my full name, my birthdate, and my cake/pie preference...for the PAW...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Pineapple Devil

Post by Pineapple Devil » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:09 am

why not just make it out of paracord like every other piece of jewelry?

i think it's taking the whole tactical/survival thing a tad too far if you're looking for tactical uses from a wedding band.

allofthemonkeys

Post by allofthemonkeys » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:22 pm

spyderco monkey wrote:
allofthemonkeys wrote:I carved mine and my wife's from a piece of coconut. Less than a buck.
Really? I'd love the backstory on that.
I carved mine when I lived in the Florida Keys, just for kicks. I taught wood carving at a scout camp years ago and wondered, "What can I carve from a Coconut?" I saw some rings at a tourist trap shop and carved my own. Own our first date my wife noticed it asked about it. When I was planing to pop the question instead of buying a ring, I carved her one too. She didn't even want metal ring.
When I was born, they told me the chance of getting out of this life alive was slim.

avenger
Location: Central Texas or, somewhere in the middle of nowhere...

Post by avenger » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:50 am

My fiance's been listening a little too well to my comments on improvised weapons...
We were wrestling around and I had her pinned. Well, she paid attention a little too well when I took her to my combatives class and broke free of the wrist lock I had her in and ripped her engagement ring along my ribcage as she broke free. It was accidental but I still lost a good chunk of flesh- and it got my attention. Had she actually been trying to defend herself she could've done some serious damage.

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:57 pm

I knew I posted this somewhere before. Here's another idea on the concept of a Tactical Wedding Ring:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... ement+ring" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Doomsayer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil 1-3 (sorry, Afterlife...), 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doomsayer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:05 am

As far as I know, they have yet to create wedding bands with picatinny rails. This post makes my dick go limp.
Marlin .22LR Model 60, Springfield XD 9MM Subcompact, Remington 870 Tactical Express 12 Gauge

khq.ms.slavinec says: why does it say your an expert next to your name
khq.ms.bozungn (Expert) says: for the same reason it lists you as a novice when i'm connecting to your shit

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:41 am

Wow I am amazed not one mention of a sundial ring. There are many different styles, but you could get one made with the basic ideas of using for a sun dial. Probably a little late for the OP, but other folks might consider this for an option of a wedding ring that has practical use. :D

"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Doctor_Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Doctor_Zombie » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:57 am

ineffableone wrote:Wow I am amazed not one mention of a sundial ring. There are many different styles, but you could get one made with the basic ideas of using for a sun dial. Probably a little late for the OP, but other folks might consider this for an option of a wedding ring that has practical use. :D

I frakking love that ring!

I immediately sent a link to my wife for it, telling her that - if we ever get new rings - I want this one. I LOVE it! :D
Doctor_Zombie was formerly Doctor Z.! I fracking changed it.

BUY MY BOOKS! NOW AVAILABLE ON KINDLE!
Read my blog!!
GunDown wrote: BRUCE CAMPBELL IS A GOD.... HE IS THE ONE TRUE LORD OF FILM. HIS HOLY TRINITY RULES ABOVE US ALL! AS RAMI STANDS TO HIS RIGHT AND ROMERO TO HIS LEFT HIS WILL IS INFORCED BY THE ANGEL OF VENGENCE KEVIN MOTHERFUCKING SMITH!

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:02 am

phil_in_cs wrote:She will pick this stuff out. You STFU and write checks. Trust me on this.

WORD IS BORN! Yes, this. I've been married 15 years for a reason. I write checks.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Ableto

Post by Ableto » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:52 pm

Interesting thread. If i ever find a woman that will accept me for the crazy person that i am and i ever get married, I would rather design and make the rings. I know jewel crafting. I know friends that have most of the tools i just have to give them the wax molds to be cast.
Life is like a box of chocolates, eventually we will all melt in the sun.

DementedDigital

Post by DementedDigital » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:03 pm

Regular Guy wrote:
phil_in_cs wrote:She will pick this stuff out. You STFU and write checks. Trust me on this.

WORD IS BORN! Yes, this. I've been married 15 years for a reason. I write checks.
I did that, and mine is ending after 15 years! Doh!

strm_trpr
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Evil Dead, Dawn of the dead

Post by strm_trpr » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:01 pm

My wife had me pick out my own wedding band, I went with Tungston carbide, it never scratches and it has a satin finish in the middle and polished edges.
"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." ~Ayn Rand~

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:20 pm

This topic has me looking at tungsten rings for a personal reason...Looked at the black coated ones, was right in assuming they scratch off like every other black finish on the planet. Any opinions on how laser engravings hold up on pure, uncoated tungsten?
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

AK_Stick
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead
28 days/weeks later
Shaun of the Dead
Zombie Land

Post by AK_Stick » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:47 am

cemeteryman wrote:Couldn't read the whole thread, because as a former bench jeweler, must shout

DO NOT BUY TUNGSTEN!!!!!!!!
IF YOUR FINGER SWELLS OR GETS BROKEN YOU CANNOT CUT OFF TUNGSTEN, IT MUST BE SHATTERED OFF.
THIS MAY SHATTER YOUR FINGER AS WELL
DO NOT BUY TUNGSTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, Titanium is safe and tacticool, will scratch easily. Platinum is soft, useless and overpriced, but only silver turns black in the presence of cyanide!

I've never seen a tungsten ring shatter a finger when it was broken off, and I've probably seen close to two dozen rings shattered.

Most ambulences/FD's, atleast up here in AK, and all hospitals have the ability to safely break tungsten rings. Its really not a big issue.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go

fourpaws
ZS Member
ZS Member
Location: Worcester in the rolling green countryside.. or up to my eyes and ears in sand and dust..

Post by fourpaws » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:38 am

Being a biker AND getting hitched next year at some point, I started doing some research on rings for me.. then I saw this thread... of course I had to show my doris this one that I found.. black, zirconium (good / bad ??) AND its bike related... win/win all round as far as Im concerned.. and its tacticool black - sorted !!

Somewhere, somehow, someones going to be smashing zombies.....

Wildeman_13
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Wildeman_13 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:33 am

AK_Stick wrote: I've never seen a tungsten ring shatter a finger when it was broken off, and I've probably seen close to two dozen rings shattered.

Most ambulences/FD's, atleast up here in AK, and all hospitals have the ability to safely break tungsten rings. Its really not a big issue.
I'm guessing it shatters like old cast iron then? Interesting nonetheless. Thanks for the clarification and confirmation on Tungsten.
raptor wrote: Anyone know if there is an asshat gene? If so it must be a dominant gene.
Image Image

AK_Stick
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead
28 days/weeks later
Shaun of the Dead
Zombie Land

Post by AK_Stick » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:47 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poM423pewRE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go

Chirpy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Dead Snow

Post by Chirpy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:55 am

Absolute truth written right there...
"And I prep not because I'm scared of someone coming to take from me, but rather because I fear not being able to render help to those who have helped me. "

phractal - 4/2/13

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:35 pm

Wow, old ass thread that a bot drudged up, but since it's up front again...

I made this for the wife a few months ago. We both have tats because our jobs aren't ring friendly, but she's still a chick and likes nice things.

5 strands of silver, and a 1/3 carrot sapphire. Easy to make, cheap to practice making, and she likes it.

smokinbunta
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days/weeks later, dawn of the dead(new version) RE 1, 2 & 3, night of the living dead, zombie land, the walking dead

Post by smokinbunta » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:35 pm

Im kinda disappointed that no one has mentioned this yet....

Practical AND MAGICAL! :P

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:08 pm

crypto wrote:If your reason for not wanting a normal wedding ring is that you think they look too frivolous, get a bead-blasted titanium one. They're only about $150 and completely indestructible.
YE GODS!!! I actually agree-and furthermore have already have done something- that Crypto has suggested? :shock:

How long before I am posing with my black Katana and tactical silver banana hammock on the Interwebs...Help me, help me please! :gonk:
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:18 pm

My wife got me a Tungsten Carbide ring online from the BX for $50.......... then I continued to lose weight and now it slips right off my finger..... :(
-NREMT-P
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

Seakers

Post by Seakers » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:08 am

Just a thought metals could become vaulueable if it gets nasty, like all my old rings and wedding bands can be used for weapons and barter if it comes down to it. Even my old dog tags can be as well. But that is my opinion.

Return to “Other Gear”