Tactical Wedding Ring

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

PYRO31888
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evils, 28 series,

Re: Tactical Wedding Ring

Post by PYRO31888 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:54 pm

arc_second wrote:Hey they make rings with the diamond pre-flipped.

pointy

And it's oxidized silver for that stealth black look.

-James
KI6ROV
Thats awesome ... that could really fuck someone up .. that is if you dont have your rifle on hand.

"Some of the worst things imaginable are done with the best of intentions." Dr. Grant

Havaria Information Service-Alert Map

My BugOutBag

Brendan Sullivan

Post by Brendan Sullivan » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:31 am

Wicked awesome choice of engraving, nfa. Mad props.

derajer

Post by derajer » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:38 pm

Well, I finally popped the question on Sunday (July 27). So now I need to actually buy my tactical ring. I'm actually kind of surprised this thread is still going, but thanx for all of the advice on possible rings. Anybody know anything about zirconium rings?
Check out the Zombie Squad Wiki especially the Bug-out Bag Article

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:16 pm

I recently popped the question as well. M'lady got an obscene amount of diamonds and white gold, while mine is a polished tungsten. It has a nice heft to it, at only a fraction of the cost of what a comparable weight of white gold ring would cost. A gold ring in my price range would have looked like a piece of wire on my finger. Titanium is too dull for me and is so light it feels like plastic.

My choice was directly influenced by this thread. ZS once again affects my wallet!
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

TheMechanic
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOD '78

Post by TheMechanic » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:25 pm

I used to have a kick ass solid machined Titanium wedding ring and then I got divorced. No ring no mo.

Remember Ed Harris' titanium ring in 'The Abyss'? It saved his finger from being crushed by a hydraulic door.

I've seen some bad ass tungsten rings too.
"The future is always changing, in the largest of ways by the smallest of things."

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:08 am

TheMechanic wrote:I used to have a kick ass solid machined Titanium wedding ring and then I got divorced. No ring no mo.

Remember Ed Harris' titanium ring in 'The Abyss'? It saved his finger from being crushed by a hydraulic door.

I've seen some bad ass tungsten rings too.
Yup.
DrGonzo wrote:We had a Reservist transferred to our unit in Iraq who was a jeweler in his civilian job. He traded in his regular gold band for a titanium one while deployed. It was super light, and he whacked it with a hammer several times, didn't have a scratch on it.

A burly ring can save your life. Remember Ed Harris in "The Abyss" when his ring saved him from drowning? Linky McLinkerson

cannon

Post by cannon » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:59 am

You need the Swiss Army Wedding Ring.

It's a band made of titanium and has a rough center band for lighting matches and filing. Other handy bits are a flat spot on the edge which doubles as a flat head screwdriver and a decoration on the front which is actually a phillips head screwdriver.
The Earth will survive
Save yourself

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:45 am

cannon wrote:You need the Swiss Army Wedding Ring.

It's a band made of titanium and has a rough center band for lighting matches and filing. Other handy bits are a flat spot on the edge which doubles as a flat head screwdriver and a decoration on the front which is actually a phillips head screwdriver.
Is that real, or a concept you've come up with? Seems like too many pointy bits and sharp edges for a man's ring.

resurgam
Favorite Zombie Movies: I dont do "scary movies." I'm paranoid enough just from watching the news.

Post by resurgam » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:20 am

The most "tactical" thing you could do would be to get a wedding ring tattoo instead of putting something on your finger that is a horrific accident waiting to happen.

Just sayin'.

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:27 am

resurgam wrote:...instead of putting something on your finger that is a horrific accident waiting to happen.
What, marriage? :lol:

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:08 pm

i can open beer bottles with my ring. its titanim so the finish markes but i just get it buffed for free and looks brand new again. that falls under the category usefull in my book.
Just keep livin

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:54 pm

Well, to the folks who talk about the potential of being "degloved" (that's the term for having your ring pulled off by a moving piece of machinery, and also having the skin removed with it), I carry my keys on a carabiner, which get clipped to my belt when I'm at work. So when I'm working on machinery, or hot electrical, I take off my ring and clip it to the carabiner. Then I know just exactly where it is, I can't lose it, and I can't get hurt by it. My wife knows and understands, and I usually remember to put it back on before I get home from the strip bar^H^H^H^H working extra hard.

Finch

Post by Finch » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:31 am

i think he's gotten married by now
NRA XTC High Master
CMP Distinguished Rifleman

my blog: GarandThumb.com

SwimToast
Favorite Zombie Movies: Land of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead (2k4)
Dead Alive
28 Days/Weeks

Also while not a movie, the comic "The Walking Dead"

Post by SwimToast » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Ad'lan wrote:Platinum is a Great Catalyst for a lot of chemical reactions.

However, this may be a bad thing, supposing you accidentally catalysed a reaction and produced something toxic (as I have seen happen in my chemistry class with Nickel Spatula's).

Really, I don't think you should use your wedding ring as a Tactical Aid at all. I mean, would your wife approve of you using your wedding ring as a Transistor?
First off are you crazy, hell no to the tactical ring... thats why we have tactical keychains.

As for the catalyzing something toxic, i wouldnt worry too much about it... in everyday experiance youll never catalyze enough toxic substance to worry about, and if you are in an area that your ring does that then youre already in more shit than you know. Bartering would be a great idea though. Also as for palladium, how are you planning on getting the hydrogen off the metal's surface? Not to mention palladium is ungodly rare and expensive.

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:35 pm

"Tactical" wedding ring can mean different things. I hadn't seen this thread when I made this one:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=42270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think the most tactical use of a wedding ring is as a valuable piece of jewelry or junk gold to barter with if you don't have any cash on you, or in your nation anymore.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

cemeteryman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dellamorte Dellamore

Post by cemeteryman » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:45 pm

Couldn't read the whole thread, because as a former bench jeweler, must shout

DO NOT BUY TUNGSTEN!!!!!!!!
IF YOUR FINGER SWELLS OR GETS BROKEN YOU CANNOT CUT OFF TUNGSTEN, IT MUST BE SHATTERED OFF.
THIS MAY SHATTER YOUR FINGER AS WELL
DO NOT BUY TUNGSTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, Titanium is safe and tacticool, will scratch easily. Platinum is soft, useless and overpriced, but only silver turns black in the presence of cyanide!
"More than at any time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction. Let us pray that we have the wisdom to chose correctly."
-Woody Allen

Vuducow
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: I can't think of any! Ack! =(

Post by Vuducow » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:08 pm

Bek een old cuhntry, vee sey: separate flies from hamburgers.

Most women won't appreciate a "tactical" wedding ring. A wedding is a wedding. Even in the worst of times you must maintain some normalcy and luxury. Even condemned concentration-camp Jews tried to make or smuggle candles for makeshift menoras. Not tactical candles, just candles to create some normalcy, to try to live their normal lives.

So just give 'er gold. Be a man that can afford both a gold ring with a quality rock, and all the gear you need. You'll make a woman lose a lot of confidence if even her wedding ring is used for something mundane. It's your duty as a man to ensure, at all costs, that her life doesn't reach that point.

And this post is absolutely dead serious.
Vudu-moo.
feuer wrote:Well of course they drive pick-ups, have you ever tried putting 800lbs of cash in a sedan, it'll bust the shocks!

tilt

Post by tilt » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:19 pm

I gave my wife a white gold engagement ring and a white gold band. I have two wedding bands. One is titanium and gets worn a handful of times a year, usually on her birthday, valentine's day both of our anniversarys, etc. The other is tattooed on... I like it better and it only ran me $175.

The tactical aspect of her rings are that they are nice and well crafted, yet are not a $3000 ringset. I understand girls wanting a big fat rock and a heavy ring to show off to their friends or whatever, but it serves no real purpose other than flash (which is the last thing you want in a contingency). Something practical that doesn't scream out "Hey, come try to mug/rob me so my husband has to draw his CCW and shoot you in the street!" seemed like the way to go at the time.

Some would argue that buying her a big-damn-ring would show how much I care about her... my argument is that I cared enough about her to tattoo my wedding ring on. There is no way to take it off (even if I wanted to, which I don't). She didn't even do that...
Murphy is my Co-Pilot

Doctor_Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Doctor_Zombie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:21 pm

tilt wrote: The other is tattooed on... my argument is that I cared enough about her to tattoo my wedding ring on. There is no way to take it off (even if I wanted to, which I don't). She didn't even do that...
Just curious (b/c I'm thinking about doing this for mine and Mrs. Zombie's wedding anniversary)... pics?
Doctor_Zombie was formerly Doctor Z.! I fracking changed it.

BUY MY BOOKS! NOW AVAILABLE ON KINDLE!
Read my blog!!
GunDown wrote: BRUCE CAMPBELL IS A GOD.... HE IS THE ONE TRUE LORD OF FILM. HIS HOLY TRINITY RULES ABOVE US ALL! AS RAMI STANDS TO HIS RIGHT AND ROMERO TO HIS LEFT HIS WILL IS INFORCED BY THE ANGEL OF VENGENCE KEVIN MOTHERFUCKING SMITH!

tilt

Post by tilt » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:59 pm

I think that can be arranged. Let me see if I brought my camera with me. If I didn't, I'll post them when I get back in town.
Murphy is my Co-Pilot

mtnfolk mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the omega man..

Post by mtnfolk mike » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:26 pm

this is a great thread... :)

here's my bling... :D it's damascus and platinum... here's a link to the makers site http://www.studionamu.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

my wife's ring is a little bit different.. hers has the damascus recessed in between the platinum, it also has 4 small diamonds...
>>>>-----LIFE IS A KNIFE----->

allofthemonkeys

Post by allofthemonkeys » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:31 pm

I carved mine and my wife's from a piece of coconut. Less than a buck.
When I was born, they told me the chance of getting out of this life alive was slim.

Bricks of the Dead
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
28 Days Later

Post by Bricks of the Dead » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:18 am

Organdonor wrote:My second wedding band (my second wife wouldn't let me re-use my first wedding band... dunno why) is titanium. It's aircraft grade, whatever that means. Cost me $189. Would have cost be about $50 less, but I had them make me one with a platinum inlay in it, rather than the normal white gold one. I figured it made sense to match the frigging thousands I spend on the wife's platinum wedding set. No one would have known it was white gold instead of platinum, but why fuck with karma? Burned me the first marriage.

Mine looks like this one, but instead of a gold inlay mine's platinum.

That's my exact wedding ring.

spyderco monkey
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by spyderco monkey » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:31 pm

allofthemonkeys wrote:I carved mine and my wife's from a piece of coconut. Less than a buck.
Really? I'd love the backstory on that.
“Few will understand me, but I write for the connoisseurs, trusting that they will not be offended by the confidence of my opinions.” Field Marshal Maurice Comte de Saxe, My Reveries, 1732

For honest, in-depth gear reviews, please visit:
http://www.good-kit.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Other Gear”