Tactical Wedding Ring

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ant69
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days

Re: Tactical Wedding Ring

Post by ant69 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:17 pm

They probably won't cut off your finger unless "not" removing the ring is somehow life threatening. On the other hand severe swelling could make it quite uncomfortable for about a half hour or so while they remove a titanium ring to save your finger. I have a titanium ring because I can't stand gold or jewelry in general. The light weight and "The Abbyss" indestructability were selling points for me. I had my eye on the Black titanium rings for stealth. (Hint, if you have a mind to get one of those don't call it the "Black Ring of Death" in front of your fiance!) :roll:

I like the Fire steel Idea though. Maybe a custom option for a three piece interlocking ring made from Magnesium Flint and Steel?
Ant
I have no signature so that I will not offend anyone by exercising my freedom of expression or by bringing to light the follies of the less informed! Thank You. Ant

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:35 pm

Mine's titanium. Bead blasting would be ideal, as titanium, although very hard, scratches easily. Mine had a bright finish but is dull with scratches now. Might see what a Nyalox wheel does to it...

Tungsten is supposed to be very similar to Ti in this application but is more scratch resistent.

I don't plan on using my wedding band for anything, BTW. I just like everything to be titanium.

Tactical Raccoon
BANNED

Post by Tactical Raccoon » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:33 pm

Jeriah wrote:Mine's titanium. Bead blasting would be ideal, as titanium, although very hard, scratches easily. Mine had a bright finish but is dull with scratches now. Might see what a Nyalox wheel does to it...

Tungsten is supposed to be very similar to Ti in this application but is more scratch resistent.

I don't plan on using my wedding band for anything, BTW. I just like everything to be titanium.
The problem with titanium rings is that they cannot be resized. I know that from experience. :(
Forum nazi's control in effect...

Organdonor

Post by Organdonor » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:00 pm

DrGonzo wrote:We had a Reservist transferred to our unit in Iraq who was a jeweler in his civilian job. He traded in his regular gold band for a titanium one while deployed. It was super light, and he whacked it with a hammer several times, didn't have a scratch on it.

A burly ring can save your life. Remember Ed Harris in "The Abyss" when his ring saved him from drowning? Linky McLinkerson
That clip was exactly the reason I thought "titanium" when it was time for a wedding band. And to think, he almost flushed it away!

In terms of tacticool.... a buddy of mine has a titanium ring that has a less-rounded edge that mine. He's able to use the edge of his to pop the caps off of beer bottles.

NapTime

Post by NapTime » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:09 pm

Organdonor wrote:In terms of tacticool.... a buddy of mine has a titanium ring that has a less-rounded edge that mine. He's able to use the edge of his to pop the caps off of beer bottles.
The first thing I thought of was this ring, but obviously you'd be crucified if you tried to use it as a wedding band.

Tegyrius

Post by Tegyrius » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:10 pm

Titanium, black synthetic diamond coating. I considered the tungsten carbide, but I didn't like the finish under most light. YMMV. Weight and comfort were factors for me, as I spend 8-12 hours a day at a keyboard and I didn't want anything that would interfere with typing.

- C.
Clayton A. Oliver, Writer of Fortune

I'm putting tinfoil up on the windows/Lying down in the dark to dream
I don't want to see their faces/I don't want to hear them scream

- Warren Zevon, Splendid Isolation

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:38 pm

Here's my two suggestions:

Practical:
http://www.bewild.com/beboopri.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Precious!
http://www.extrasformovies.com/lord_of_the_rings.16.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

luctus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 04
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by luctus » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:40 pm

I once dated a girl who claimed to be allergic to all metals, except platinum. I never called official BS on it, but I was always suspicious.

--luctus
sic transit gloria

praharin

Post by praharin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:38 pm

my ring is tungsten. as such quite heavy for its size. attach it to some 550 and youre on your way to cracking mellons and chipping teeth
Biggin wrote:praharin can be an insufferable dick

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Hardened titanium could be used as a belay device in an emergency, using 550 cord as your life line. :D

tilt

Post by tilt » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:09 pm

My ring is Titanium, I keep it on a piece of 550 cord as a necklace and leave it at the house. I can't really wear it most of the time as I spend too much time around electricity, fast moving parts and machinery and have a high risk of condcuction and ESD damage to components. I think I've worn it four times in the last year, for really special occasions.

For what it's worth, a cutoff wheel will cut a titanium ring... that's about the only thing that will...
Murphy is my Co-Pilot

derajer

Post by derajer » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:02 pm

I hadn't thought about the weapon or the belay ring, both great ideas.
Check out the Zombie Squad Wiki especially the Bug-out Bag Article

PHMadness
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by PHMadness » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:55 pm

I am here to tell you that if you want titanium you need not worry about getting it off in an emergency. The nice folks in the ER cut through mine like it was butter, although he commented it was tougher. I don't know if the alloy jewelry makers use is harder or not but I doubt it. I made mine from the head of a bent valve. I bead blasted it then tumbled it for quite a while in steel media. I have never seen a tungsten carbide ring in person but I imagine if you smashed it like I did it would probably break, maybe a good thing maybe not.

Yeah, it's all moot. Let her pick. :D

GeneralDiscontent

Post by GeneralDiscontent » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:00 am

PHMadness wrote:I have never seen a tungsten carbide ring in person but I imagine if you smashed it like I did it would probably break, maybe a good thing maybe not.
Yep, tungsten carbide is actually much more brittle than titanium - it'll crack before it'll bend.
Some of my write-ups you might find useful: My FAK, poncho mod, my BOAT, pressure canning, bulk food storage

slc
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by slc » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:48 am

I've never thought of using a wedding ring for anything. In my experience, they aren't really practical. I wear mine because it feels like something is wrong without it, but I understand why lots of people don't wear one at all.
-When I paint, or cook, I have to take them off to avoid getting gunk in between the diamonds and setting. It's a bitch trying to get oil paint out of there.
-If your wife decides to wear 2 rings, get them soldered. My finger gets pinched when I lift weights, or anything heavy that I have to grip.
-When I gained weight during pregnancy, the ring got too tight, and I had to wear it around my neck.
-My dad's cracked a few times, and he would get his skin broken when it pinched him. Once it almost looked like it was going to pierce his finger. So whatever you get, make sure it's durable. Cracks are bad.
-Hawk's wedding ring is in a box somewhere. He doesn't wear rings because he got a sterling silver one stuck in a scaffold at work. If the ring were stronger material, he could have ripped his finger off while he fell. Or at least broken it. I wore it around my neck for a while but it kept hitting me in the face every time I bent over, or thumping me in the chest while I ran.

Loquinho
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead 2004, Zombieland

Post by Loquinho » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:02 am

Most metal allergies in jewelry are an allergy to Nickel - my wife is very allergic. While that metal is present in gold, it's in a quantity that usually isn't going to cause a problem, especially if it's a high quality gold.

If you're looking for an engagement ring to stand the test of time, just make sure to get one that has a bezel setting. My wife likes to garden and has an active job, and this was a necessity for her. Personally, I think this setting looks better, it keeps the ring tighter to the finger so it's less likely to catch on something, and it secures the diamond better so it won't fall out under any circumstances.
"[Girl], don't you ever stand for that sort of thing. Someone tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
- Malcom Reynolds

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:44 pm

Our wedding bands are titanium . Mine is plain , my wife's has a small Moisinite stone in it , which is a synthetic diamond , that is more brilliant than a real diamond , and theoretically nobody's life was ended or ruined for it.

I prefer to say that my ring is made of Space Titanium as that is what Mecha Godzilla is made of

:D
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

TheFishinMagician

Post by TheFishinMagician » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:37 pm

derajer wrote: OK, so I'll proposing soon and that got me thinking about my own inevitable wedding ring and making it serve some practical/tactical purpose. For instance what metal (or ceramic?) would have unique and useful properties?
How about a powerful neodymium magnet disguised as a ring?

Neodymium magnet rings ....scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Image Image

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:19 pm

I went with Titanium, another "Abyss" victim here, but also because I found that they are really really cheap. I think I paid like $40 for mine.

Hers on the other hand was much more expensive. I insisted on a conflict diamond :).
ImageImage

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:04 am

I love all of you guys, but this section is for Bug Out Gear (hey, it's in the name!). Lets keep it to that kind of gear kay?

[Moved to Other Gear]

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:59 am

molawns wrote:
derajer wrote: OK, so I'll proposing soon and that got me thinking about my own inevitable wedding ring and making it serve some practical/tactical purpose. For instance what metal (or ceramic?) would have unique and useful properties?
How about a powerful neodymium magnet disguised as a ring?

Neodymium magnet rings ....scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page.
Somehow I think it would make using your computer or credit cards an interesting learning experience. *ZAP, fizzle*
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

MrAcheson

Post by MrAcheson » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:02 am

my wife's has a small Moisinite stone in it , which is a synthetic diamond
Nope, although it does look a lot like diamond. Moissanite is a synthetic silicon carbine gemstone. It's hard and tough and quite pretty. When I was shopping for the engagement ring, I looked into green moissanite as a hardier alternative to emeralds. Unfortunately they didn't offer the cut I wanted in green.

My wedding band is simple beaten white gold. Not especially flashy and I can resize it later. At the time everyone was being warned off titanium for the debunked ring-cutting reasons or I probably would have bought one.

If you want something tactical, you might also consider engraving information on it. I had my wedding date engraved so I can't forget my anniversary. That's an important tactical consideration once you're married, let me tell you. Keep in mind that space is limited so you probably won't have room for much more than a few numbers or words. Maybe GPS coordinates of a cache or an emergency rally point location?

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:18 am

MrAcheson wrote:
my wife's has a small Moisinite stone in it , which is a synthetic diamond
Nope, although it does look a lot like diamond. Moissanite is a synthetic silicon carbine gemstone. It's hard and tough and quite pretty. When I was shopping for the engagement ring, I looked into green moissanite as a hardier alternative to emeralds. Unfortunately they didn't offer the cut I wanted in green.

My wedding band is simple beaten white gold. Not especially flashy and I can resize it later. At the time everyone was being warned off titanium for the debunked ring-cutting reasons or I probably would have bought one.

If you want something tactical, you might also consider engraving information on it. I had my wedding date engraved so I can't forget my anniversary. That's an important tactical consideration once you're married, let me tell you. Keep in mind that space is limited so you probably won't have room for much more than a few numbers or words. Maybe GPS coordinates of a cache or an emergency rally point location?
Note the slightly different spelling. Perhaps Mr. Acheson is referring to a different type of synthetic stone? One, perhaps, made by melting down old Mosin Nagants? :wink:

Dr. Quickdraw McGraw

Post by Dr. Quickdraw McGraw » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:29 am

after two pages i would just like to be the first to say congrats to derajer :D

I have the privilege to be acquainted with the happy couple and think that (soon to be) Mrs. derajer would be very cool with a Tactical wedding band.
"A man can live on processed food from here till judgement day if he has enough Rosemary" - Shepherd Book

For the record I am, AR, .45, pie.

Return to “Other Gear”