Goggles

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

bgaesop

Goggles

Post by bgaesop » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:56 pm

We've all heard the night vision goggle conversation to death, but what about regular goggles, for in the daytime? Are they worth having? I would think so, especially if the disease or whatever is transmittable by fluid to eye contact as it is in 28 Days Later. This said, do you guys think it's a good idea, and what would you recommend? Personally I like these two, but I don't know which one is better, I am probably going to go with the RAF ones because the RAF rocks and they look more comfortable. The other ones are out of stock, too.
EDIT:I forgot to ask, CTD is a good site, right? Some of their things are so cheap I can't help but think it's going to be a knockoff, and would like some reassurance before I blow $50+ on assorted cool things.

Red Panda
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Red Panda » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:26 am

Aesop,

If I were you, I'd save my money & just get a cheapie plastic pair from your local hardware store.

I know this is all about zombies, but you should spend that money on supplies that could be used in other scenarios, too. Like medical supplies.

The cheap goggles will be there, if you need them.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:41 pm

Two schools of thought. Our training range sells cheapies for two bucks as an OSHA requirement and common sense. Like hundreds. Every year. I'ts like 40000 cops, 300 troopers, 100 bureau, 600 miscellaneous LEOs can't keep a simple set of goggles in the car, or people collect them, trade them with their friends.
OTOH many of those who don't buy every time they show up come in with Bolle's, Wiley's, you name it it's showed up.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

randomusername
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by randomusername » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:47 pm

I'd be looking at a slimer pair of ski goggles, you have as much peripheral as sunglasses, then strap onto your head, AND they are UV protective.

multipass

Post by multipass » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:55 am

Thoose RAF ones are pretty much just old googles used when motorbikes first came about and were used by pilots in the old biplanes. I work them when riding a scrambler once, they give you more view and such but they are unwildy in my thoughts. I would prefer some Bolle X500 goggles really.

TOGLE

Post by TOGLE » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:51 am

I favor the first pair. Looks more durable. I have a cheap Plasic mock pair of those I grabed at a navy surplus store for a friend to complete a halloween costume. I have also seen some Brit fold up goggles from ww2 on the web in the past that may fit your needs. They calapes down to about the size of a yoyo (but I think they may have been vented--more for dust, not germs)

I also saw some "bug-out rave goggles" but couldn't find the sight again. I just thought, bug out bag---bug out goggles.
"Uchi No Kaisha"

ProZombieHunter

Post by ProZombieHunter » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:53 pm

I've got a sweet pair of WWII sand-and-dust goggles which come with additional lenses for sunlight protection.

Doubt they're protective against UV rays, but they're good stuff. Plus water-proof -- Not that I'd trust them as a face mask for diving, but it's a plus.

Ideally, a pair of ergonomic, padded, strap-on goggles equipped with a flip-up or slide-in additional lens for sunlight, providing both UV protection and the nifty bonus of being polarized (I'll never buy sunglasses that aren't)...

...Yeah, boy, that's what I'm talking about... Too bad they don't exist, or if they do, they're super expensive...
If you drop a zombie, does that count as a kill?

...Think about it.

Maj.Exec

Post by Maj.Exec » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:22 pm

ProZombieHunter wrote:I've got a sweet pair of WWII sand-and-dust goggles which come with additional lenses for sunlight protection.

Doubt they're protective against UV rays, but they're good stuff. Plus water-proof -- Not that I'd trust them as a face mask for diving, but it's a plus.

Ideally, a pair of ergonomic, padded, strap-on goggles equipped with a flip-up or slide-in additional lens for sunlight, providing both UV protection and the nifty bonus of being polarized (I'll never buy sunglasses that aren't)...

...Yeah, boy, that's what I'm talking about... Too bad they don't exist, or if they do, they're super expensive...
You forgot the lasers on the ear bands and built in night-vision feature...yeah, they'll be expensive all right...
They're coming to get you Barbara...

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:01 pm

If you have the money and really want ballistic goggles, try these:
Wiley-X CQC Tactical Goggle

If you just want good quality inexpensive saftey goggles, try these:
Uvex Stealth Goggle
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

ednemo

Post by ednemo » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:40 am

I own a set of Wiley X SG-1s. I bought them because the lenses are interchangable and they look like sunglasses...so I feel comfortable carrying them around with me. That being said, they do tend to fog up a bit in the heat.

Return to “Other Gear”