trench coats: Just for posers or a good idea in the P.A.W

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Trench coats?

Hell no.Zombies grab!!!!!
35%
Hell y3ah I want to be just like ne0 from the matrixs
12%
I would wear a russian cold weather one, but ONLY if it was winter
52%

Total votes: 209

Sage

trench coats: Just for posers or a good idea in the P.A.W

Post by Sage » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:13 am

I am sure some of us here have a trench coat. When the shit hits the fan would you be keeping yours at home or just be caught dead in one.

Raccoon City Survivor

Post by Raccoon City Survivor » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:18 am

I don't, and I wouldn't want one. Tight clothes and short hair.

Andrew Sad

Post by Andrew Sad » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:27 am

I personally feel that wearing a trenchcoat (unless you're a detective :wink: ) is just a ploy for attention. I can't think of a reason to wear one, ever, especially in a situation with the undead.

However, it might (to certain individuals) give a psychological boost of somesort. Maybe.
I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it.

Matias

Post by Matias » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:42 am

Raccoon City Survivor wrote:I don't, and I wouldn't want one. Tight clothes and short hair.
Yep. Trenchcoats are for action movies. They'd be a nuisance in any PAW.
Steel yourselves.
Resident tinkerer/inventor

GhostTiger

Post by GhostTiger » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:01 am

Here is an idea, put on your trench coat and walk through the woods at night. Don't stay completely on the trail either, walk between bushes and such, and see how often you get snagged, even for a second or two.
The only time I wear my duster is when it is raining and I have to walk somewhere.

will
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by will » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:21 am

i have about a dozen and i almost never wear any of them.

in very cold weather when you are standing around (guard duty?) they are great. thats why the military uses them but i wouldnt want to run in the darn thing.
Truth is what stands the test of experience.
-Albert Einstein

Only 2 People Can Say They Went To Every Z-Con And Wintergheddon Ever, I'm One Of Them!!

Sam

Post by Sam » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:02 am

If its not a quality coat and you aren’t on a occasion where it wouldn’t be out of the ordinary (rainy funerals come to mind) trench coats are pretty stupid. All a trench coat does is tell others that you are hopelessly insecure and are liable to be annoying if one spoke to you. Or at least that’s what I feel when I see one.

Bad for any sort of survival related purposes, obviously. You’ll be better off with a coat or vest.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:51 am

That's funny. I wore one yesterday, with my sweet stetson hat, and a silk shirt. I didn't feel like a badass matrix-poser, but I DID get told I looked very nice several times. So if getting hot girls at the coffee shop to notice one-self is the ONLY use of a trenchcoat, I'm cool with that. Oh, and it's warm.
Obviously it stays in the closet during the PAW.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Matias

Post by Matias » Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:04 am

Trenchcoats are for funerals and casablanca.
Steel yourselves.

JMalone

Post by JMalone » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:13 am

I'm sort of ambivalent here. On one hand, the trenchcoat might slow me down, might get tangled in a bush or grabbed by a zombie, and might make me look like a matrix clone. On the other hand, it can hold useful equipment in addition to my vest, it can provide minimal protection against falls, hits, and the weather (if it is leather, anyway), and, like Andrew Sad said, it would provide me with a boost of psychotics, or something.

So I'd wear one. Bah.

bgaesop

Post by bgaesop » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:17 pm

I like my trenchcoat! Of course, it is a Humphrey Bogart style one, not a Matrix one, and I probably would switch to my leather jacket in the PAW, but I think it's cool. It also is functional in bad weather/winter, which is pretty much the only time I wear it.

Am I a poser? sniffle

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 2004
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:25 pm

Trenchcoats rock in the rain. I also tend to like them. In a zombie PAW, hells no... in a regular ol' PAW? maybe. It's certainly something i wouldn't mind having just sitting at my bug out location with any other clothing i would have stashed there.
Winter driving guide: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=82858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zimmy wrote:Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

-Jason-
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by -Jason- » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:11 pm

I like mine and wear it in the cold. In a zombie PAW they would grab it all the time. So its a stupid idea.

Hunter for Hire

Post by Hunter for Hire » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:06 pm

Andrew Sad wrote: I can't think of a reason to wear one
Duh, to hide your sword of course.
Hunter for hire with no plans to retire

"Stop abortion! Fetal Zombies are Tiny and Hard to Kill!" <---noncyr (one of the funniest things i ever read)

Andrew Sad

Post by Andrew Sad » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:50 pm

Hunter for Hire wrote:
Andrew Sad wrote: I can't think of a reason to wear one
Duh, to hide your sword of course.
Change sword to gun, and I see your point.
I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it.

Djinn

Post by Djinn » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:13 pm

I get annoyed by those of you who view trenchcoats as a "ploy for attention" or an "Attempt to boost self esteem." How would it boost self esteem?...hmm..maybe if someone said, "hey man..nice coat." In which case....so frickin' what? That's just like you wearing a nice shirt.

I like trench coats. I do not currently own one, however I do like them. Whatever coat you wear is a matter of fashion, not always a matter of "look at me! look at me! I think i'm neo!" I have news for you. Trench coats have been around for years before the Matrix, and before the Columbine crap. I liked them before that crap, and I will continue to like them regardless.

Finally, no a trench coat would not be a good idea for a PAW. I have a short, fairly durably leather coat that would be much more sensible for use during a PAW. Leather is a good idea for a zombocolypse, harder for the bastards to bite through.

Addendum: Are there people who wear trench coats and "think they're oh so cool because it's in the movies 'n such." Yes. However, I find that these people are in the minority of people who wear trench coats.
"Sit, Shit, and Get Ready!"

http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:18 pm

Okay, this topic is dumb. So to it, I say:
"GRANNYBALLS!"
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Matias

Post by Matias » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:10 pm

Jamoni wrote:Okay, this topic is dumb. So to it, I say:
"GRANNYBALLS!"
Right click> Save as> yes.gif
Steel yourselves.

Malambis

Post by Malambis » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:07 am

Anyone who is wearing a trench coat because they think it makes them look cool won't last long during the Zombocalypse. There are much more efficient clothing options, fashion is of the lowest priority when your life is on the line.

P.S. Grannyballs!

Ephek+

Post by Ephek+ » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:42 am

I wouldn't wear a trenchcoat because they scare me.

I WOULD wear one of those longer leather coats, like maxpayne styles.

Zombie hands would slide off of it so it wouldn't be too bad, but normal fabric is to frictionous.(is that a word?)
:(

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:16 pm

Ephek+ wrote:I wouldn't wear a trenchcoat because they scare me.

I WOULD wear one of those longer leather coats, like maxpayne styles.

Zombie hands would slide off of it so it wouldn't be too bad, but normal fabric is to frictionous.(is that a word?)
I don't know what the hell you mean.

SlingsVaqueros

Post by SlingsVaqueros » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:34 am

I think he means the 3/4 style leather jackets, they only come down to mid calf or the back of the knee.

There are lots of different long coats, each developed for differant reasons. My over-coat, for example, is a wool/cashmear blend that is designed for warmth and to be worn over a suit. It has never and will never be introduced to a harsh environment, it is ment to look professional and stay warm, think "Italian funeral..."

My old duster was designed to keep the rain off me while I ride the horse, and yes, I wore it whil on horse-back. The little cape-like extention is to lead the rain that falls off your hat, off your shoulders.

The trench coat is another form of over-wear that is meant to protect you from the elements, but not the cold, which is why it's great to wear layers. The classic WWI trench coat (named for trench warfare) is oil-treated canvas that will repel the rainfall and other moisture that filled the trenches on a near constant basis.

I loved the look and the practical application of all of these caots, and I have worn them all, but since the whole Coloumbine Tragedy, I have given up the black trench-caot in favor of more friendly looking garb. I know there are folks who still proudly wear whatever they want in an effort to prove that what you wear doesn't affect who you are, but that's not what other folks see and I have to make a living.

That's why I changed from this:

To this:

I know It's a little washed out, but it took me from making $8.00 an hour to 45K-50K per year with no change in training or experiance...
I Survived Zombie Con 05', 06', 07'!!

I Survived Wintergheddon 06', 07'!!

Red Panda
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Red Panda » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:49 am

Ok, is this one of those Highlights for Kids puzzles where we have to spot the differences?

Next question: Why don't you put a copy of this in the "What you look like" thread?

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by kyle » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:55 am

Red Panda wrote:Ok, is this one of those Highlights for Kids puzzles where we have to spot the differences?

Next question: Why don't you put a copy of this in the "What you look like" thread?
:)

You guys are starting to make the Panda mad. You better start posting in the Hot or Not thread.
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

Return to “Other Gear”