In the market for an axe--recommendations?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

In the market for an axe--recommendations?

Post by Beowolf » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:57 pm

Looking for an axe. Or two. Purposes: Felling trees and processing firewood. I'm thinking I'm good with getting an orphaned head or just an older (hopefully quality) axe. Or I could go new. I would like, in no particular order, a full-sized, 36" axe with a 3.5-4# head and a forest-type, 20-26" handle with a 2.5-3.5# head.

I could go totally cheap and buy the new $30 Husky with a lifetime warranty or go stupid and buy a $100-200+ forest axe. Or a garage sale special for $30 + a $13 replacement handle.

I've got options, but if I'm going expensive, the purchase will have to wait, which is no big deal. No rush here. Y'all got some suggestions?
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

woodsghost

Re: In the market for an axe--recommendations?

Post by woodsghost » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:38 pm

Council Tool is up there in the "quality for the money" department, IMO. They have good budget models and some premium models.

Heavier heads and longer handles get more work done, but my best luck has been with a 2.5# head on a 24-26 inch handle. I'm not really saying that is for everybody, just saying I have had my best luck with that size. If I was doing more, I would train myself to use the bigger, longer axes.

Just food for thought. Wetterlings are nice. Just more money than I want to spend now. I'm glad I got mine when I did, and wish I would have got more.

Just my subjective experiences.

Also: the square head thing is cool. I really like the more traditional curved axe heads. People feel the straight edges strike more accurately, and maybe they are right. I like the deeper bite of a curved edge and feel it is accurate enough. It is at least as accurate as I am.
Last edited by woodsghost on Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: In the market for an axe--recommendations?

Post by NT2C » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:46 pm

Beowolf wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:57 pm
Looking for an axe. Or two. Purposes: Felling trees and processing firewood. I'm thinking I'm good with getting an orphaned head or just an older (hopefully quality) axe. Or I could go new. I would like, in no particular order, a full-sized, 36" axe with a 3.5-4# head and a forest-type, 20-26" handle with a 2.5-3.5# head.

I could go totally cheap and buy the new $30 Husky with a lifetime warranty or go stupid and buy a $100-200+ forest axe. Or a garage sale special for $30 + a $13 replacement handle.

I've got options, but if I'm going expensive, the purchase will have to wait, which is no big deal. No rush here. Y'all got some suggestions?
Come by the house when you get a chance. I have a small assortment you can choose from.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Return to “Other Gear”