Plate Carrier

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Plate Carrier

Post by Halfapint » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:46 pm

I know there was discussion about plate carriers but I cant find it. Maybe it was lost, maybe googlefu is weak. Either way I've upped my timeline to get armor. I acquired some level 4 hard plates able to take 7.62x63. Now I'm trying to find what kind of plate carrier I should get. I was never in the military and I've only worn soft armor once. I'm 6' 260lb and very broad, with a large chest. Most the carriers I've looked at don't seem to have sizes, I'm skeptical that "one size fits all" will actually fit me very well. Any bigger guys have experience with plate carriers?

What brands should I look at? I'm not opposed to spending money for things. I'm just tired of paying jacked up prices because they threw the words "tactical" in there and chard $200 more.

Also I'm trying to figure out what color/pattern I want. I was thinking Coyote, but I'm in the PNW and Coyote doesn't blend well. I was thinking Multicam it's by far the best looking camo and fits best, but I've never been a fan of camo. I could get OD, that's a good neutral color. I'll probably end up with multicam because it is probably be best thing to get a rig.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Plate Carrier

Post by woodsghost » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:59 pm

I'll try to stay in my lane with this one. And my lane is pretty narrow.

Do you want to live out of your plate carrier for 5 months? 5 years? Or don it a few times a year (for a weekend) for the next 5 years?

If you want to live out of your plate carrier, I don't have answers.

If you want it for a few weekends for a few years, consider Condor. If you want more use than that, I"m told to avoid Condor.

AR500 and similar companies sell a lot of plate carriers. If looking at living out of a carrier for 5 months, I would consider them. Beyond that, I really don't know. And I don't really know the lifespan of AR500's plate carriers other than to say "months of living out of it."
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:03 pm

What size and cut are your plates?
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:54 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:59 pm
If you want it for a few weekends for a few years, consider Condor. If you want more use than that, I"m told to avoid Condor.
Basically throw it in the closet, train with it a few weeks a year and hope I never have to use it
RickOShea wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:03 pm
What size and cut are your plates?
They are the medium size military style, though I'm unsure of the dimensions
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:54 pm

the plate carrier is sized for the plates, not for you; If you have medium plates you need a medium carrier. You might be better off with large plates, but you work with what you got.

Big question is whether you want a slick PC to wear under a fighting load or if you want your fighting load attached to your PC. For the former I'd recommend the Ferro Slickster:

https://www.skdtac.com/Ferro-Concepts-T ... er.121.htm

You still have lots of options to carry a few things in the cummerbund or with velcro panels, and you can dock some chest rigs to QR buckles on the face.

If you want a full featured PC for a fighting load the First Spear/SKD collab is the best value around:

https://www.skdtac.com/FirstSpear-STT-P ... r.550.htm

you can also buy quite a few cheap USMC plate carrier accessories on eBay these days, including add on shoulder pads and velcro cummerbunds in various sizes with side plate pockets.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:03 pm

Are the Lev IV plates ceramic? If so they will benefit from a padded carrier or a carrier with soft armor in it to provide padding. They will also not likely fit in to a standard plate carrier designed for Lev III steel plates. Finally if they are ceramic they should be inspected to make sure they are still good. Ceramic plates are surprising fragile. Dropping them is akin to dropping a motorcycle helmet.

If they are made out of polyethelene of some other synthetic they absolutely will not fit in most standards carriers.

Also Lev IV should stop 7.62X63AP
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:38 am

Thank you both! That’s good information. Yes, they are ceramic, and I inspected them very carefully. I got them for free. I would prefer large, if I can get them later I will, but for now the medium will do.

From what I’ve seen and what they are marked as, the will stop 7.62x63

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:55 am

It is up to you, but typically ceramic plate inspection consists of x-rays because the cracks are often too hard to see with the naked human eye. There are advantages and disadvantages to every armor material. This is ceramic's issue.

I would Google around and decide what you want to do.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:31 am

That is what I was alluding to. You should never for example buy a used motorcycle helmet for the same reason. You got them for free and there is no visible damage so you will likely be just fine since the odds of someone shooting at you while wearing them is somewhat less than winning the lotto.

Even medium plates will be substantially thicker than steel plates. You will either have to buy a carrier designed for cermaic plates or go to a shop and try them out to see what fits. Whatever you do you want to make sure they are in securely.
You go over and under
I go through

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:52 am

Agree with these guys. But you say that the plates say, that they will stop 7.62X63 ? and they are military ? Green or black with SAPI on them? I've only seen X39, or X54, or X51..........when you hold them, is there a black like-rubber edge to them? I've just never seen any plates that say they'll stop basically 30/06 on the back of them. If you you got them though, cool. keep 'em, BTW, if you just have the plates, learn to shoot icosoles (sp?) , your upper body is a turret, but your feet are not rooted to the ground. Never , ever "blade" yourself....unless you got side plates with the rig, hell, I don't know, maybe you did.

TheContractor

Post by TheContractor » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:28 pm

On the topic of carriers, I am a big fan of the PIG PC (Patrol Incident Gear Plate Carrier). It's well designed, very durable, keeps the plates higher where they should be, and really does fit a wide variety of people. You're probably going to have to drop $325 or so to pick one up, but it's worth it.

https://www.patrolincidentgear.com/

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:37 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:55 am
It is up to you, but typically ceramic plate inspection consists of x-rays because the cracks are often too hard to see with the naked human eye. There are advantages and disadvantages to every armor material. This is ceramic's issue.

Good to know, that's why I came here. I'll have to look into getting them scanned by an xray. I wonder if they can be scanned by a regular xray?

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:48 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:37 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:55 am

Good to know, that's why I came here. I'll have to look into getting them scanned by an xray. I wonder if they can be scanned by a regular xray?
I'll take a WAG and say "yes, if the technician knows what to look for." I doubt it is similar to looking at bones. But then....I am neither an x-ray technician nor an armor examiner. So this really is a WAG and a hunch. Nothing more.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:41 pm

Here is an X-ray of one. It would have obvious damage from the bullet holes but the X-Ray shows how the cracks spread. I have no idea what to look for. I know that when everyone went on mid tour leave we left all of our armor at Buehring. They checked and repaired/ replaced it while we were home. On one particular tour I came back and my plates were changed out. So that made me wonder; How long had they been "bad"? It was kind of a sobering thought as that tour was a bit more active than others but till then I had no idea.

You go over and under
I go through

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:57 pm

Well this isn't encouraging, I have a friend that is an xray tech I'll see if she can sneak them in to xray them and see if anything noticeable. If not then maybe i'll keep them for emergency use. Now I'm mad, not really because the price is right, but I was hoping I got some good plates or cheap and everything was kosher.

Damn you captain buzzkill

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:15 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:57 pm
Well this isn't encouraging, I have a friend that is an xray tech I'll see if she can sneak them in to xray them and see if anything noticeable. If not then maybe i'll keep them for emergency use. Now I'm mad, not really because the price is right, but I was hoping I got some good plates or cheap and everything was kosher.

They might be fine. The buzz lives. For now.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:49 pm

Halfapint wrote:

If not, you can always look for my idea of good plate carrier....

It stops 7.62 also
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:13 pm

Halfapint wrote:

It is just like the whole ZPAW thing. Sure it sounds good on the surface but once ZS dissects it for you, you get the idea it may not be fun after all.
You go over and under
I go through

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:06 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:13 pm
Halfapint wrote:

It is just like the whole ZPAW thing. Sure it sounds good on the surface but once ZS dissects it for you, you get the idea it may not be fun after all.
LOL ain't that the truth! HAHA I told the gf that I want armor once we get settled on to the property. After the other night (long story) she said she wouldn't mind having some sort of protection if something happened. I maybe just use these for testing, I mean the price is right. I have some pretty damn powerful homebrew .308s I'd love to see what they'd do at some range.

Who knows, the plate carrier information is still valid, as I do plan on getting some sooner or later!

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:44 pm

Here is my thoughts on the whole crack issue:

nearly all these plates are multihit rated. One hit most assuredly causes cracks, yet the plate continues to take hits just fine. You can find youtube videos of issue SAPIs spewing ceramic dust as guys try to stack rounds right on top of each other, and even with a noticeable reduction in thickness the plates continue to function.

Beyond this, even if a crack is a glaring weakness, it still has to be hit fairly precisely for that weakness to work against you. So in the world of stacking odds, you have:
the odds of being shot at in anger>the odds of being hit>the odds of being hit in a 12.5"x9.5" portion of your body>the odds of that hit finding a tiny crack in your armor.

If the plates have no noticeable flex I'll take that deal any day of the week, and twice on sunday. Hell, even if they did flex and I'd still wear them if it was the only armor I had. Hell, if you want to sell them hit me up.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Return to “Other Gear”