Best Stove for Gasoline?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dooms

Best Stove for Gasoline?

Post by Dooms » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:27 pm

What's the recommendation for a small backpacking stove that will run well on gasoline? I'm trying to outfit my Jeep with some gear, but unfortunately there isn't much room in a jeep so I'd prefer to stick with gas as a stove fuel since I already have plenty of that on hand.

taipan821

Re: Best Stove for Gasoline?

Post by taipan821 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:48 am

Personally, if you haven't used gasoline as a stove fuel before be VERY careful. I would recommend a safer fuel due to gasoline's tendency to flare really easily.

That said....two stoves I have used that can take gasoline include
-Coleman Peak 1 multifuel stove
- Primus Omnifuel multufuel stove

All multifuel stoves will take petrol, MSR, Primus and OPtimus all make good stoves.

just be very very careful priming and lighting your stove for the first time,
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:10 am

I have the Primus Omnifuel. I've never run it on gasoline, but I know that it can run it if need be. Obviously, the multifuel stoves may behave differently with different fuels, but they may also need to be configured differently - i.e. the Primus Omnifuel has different jets for different fuels. Make sure you are familiar with what settings may need to be changed when switching between fuels.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:05 pm

Don't know if it is "best" but the Coleman Dual fuel is a well made stove where parts are easily obtained and maintenance is also simple to perform.

Purchase of a used Coleman is less of a risk for the same reasons.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:12 pm

I always used (up to about 3 years ago) liquid fuel stoves. Any white gas stove will work for regular gasoline. I'm a huge fan of whisperlite, you can get the international version and it'll run on more fuels.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

gary83

Post by gary83 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:04 am

I also have a Coleman. It is robust and lightweight.

rooks

Post by rooks » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:47 pm

JayceSlayn wrote:I have the Primus Omnifuel. I've never run it on gasoline, but I know that it can run it if need be. Obviously, the multifuel stoves may behave differently with different fuels, but they may also need to be configured differently - i.e. the Primus Omnifuel has different jets for different fuels. Make sure you are familiar with what settings may need to be changed when switching between fuels.
I realise this is an older thread, bust since it popped back up, I thought I'd comment on this particular line regarding multi-fuel stoves.

I own both the MSR Whisperlite International and the MSR XGK EX stoves.

Both come with different jets for use with multiple fuels. Having used the Whisperlite for nearly 10 years, and recently picking up the XGK EX, I will say that Petrol (Gasoline), Kerosene, White Gas (Shellite/Mobilite) - even Jet Fuel and Diesel (from the military XGK EX) - whilst all have different jets, you will find that all the above listed fuels will work fine with any of those jets. There will be slight differences in efficiency, but so long as your system is properly cleaned and maintained, you shouldn't have a problem.

The issue you will come across is some fuels are thicker (Diesel), and also dirtier than others - so whilst they will all "work" in a pinch, outside of efficiency, over extended use, mismatched jet/fuel combos may require the system to be cleaned more frequently due to potential clogging.

The Military version of the XGK EX comes with two jets - one for Jet Fuel, one for Diesel.

The maintenance kit for the civilian version also comes with two jets, however one is for both Diesel & Jet Fuel, the other is for both Gasoline & Kerosene. So even MSR admit you can use 1 jet for multiple fuels. You put all the jets side by side, and you'd need some hi-tech micro-laser to determine hole diameter difference. Any such difference is invisible to my naked eye.

I've been running Kerosene through my Jet Fuel jet for the past month. Outside of some efficiency stats that I could only measure by water boil time, and fuel consumption, I've had zero issues.
~ Russ

Return to “Other Gear”