It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:14 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. I've spent the last few hours researching ways to store water in an apartment. I can't do anything more than about 5 gallons in size, so those big 55 gallon drums and so on are out of the question. Right now I just have bottled water, but I'd like a cheaper option that I can just fill from the tap, transport, reuse, store longer, etc.

I've been using Amazon because that's the only site I trust bad reviews aren't getting deleted from. A lot of the manufacturer websites have perfect 5 star reviews, which contrasts quite a lot with what's on Amazon, and makes me think they're just deleting anything negative.

It seems like every product on Amazon has some gaping flaws. Reliance do some water containers, but apparently a significant number of people are having issues with them leaking or breaking due to the thin plastic and seal issues. Some people have mentioned that Reliance used to use thicker plastics but are now going thinner to save costs.

Scepter seem to have three major issues: rather expensive at $40 per 5 gallon can, some instances of leaking, and a really nasty plastic smell/taste that some reviewers claim even vinegar and baking soda isn't getting rid of after many washes.

WaterBricks are apparently a leaky mess.

I could go on... bottom line is, wherever I look, there's flawed, low quality products, for pretty high prices. I don't mind paying a reasonable amount, but I want it to last for the next 20 years, not leak, and not leach plastic taste into the water.

Any ideas? Have I missed some manufacturer?

"Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying."
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Selling some stuff here | Preparedness Carry System | Ultralight list of tips

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:31 pm 

I'm running about 0 for 4 on reliance cans, all have cracked lids or otherwise leaky.

I have two LCI cans (just like Sceptors) but you can get two for $50 with free shipping if you time it right and buy from them directly:

http://www.buylci.com/ItemDisplayF.aspx?D1=SKILCRAFT-Water-Can-Desert-Tan--5-gal--5-gal&ItemID=906396

(can't remember how I got free shipping, better google it).

The do "leak" a tiny bit out the vent cap, but it is a slow drip I don't worry about, perhaps getting rowdy with some channel locks would fix it, but I just keep them upright and drive on.

I do like the size and look of the waterbricks, I might get a few when I decide to go beyond my current stock of water.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:43 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Unless you are in a hurry I recommend staying on the lookout for the 5 gallon 'jerry' cans you can often find in military surplus. Depending on where you live, it can be problematic. If you live close to an operational base, for instance, it is likely that they are abundant in surplus type stores. I mention 'hurry' because in a quick look online I found some averaging around $40 once s/h is added.(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-Jerry-Cans-Military-water-can-5-gallon-water-can-green-/271891351257 - Note the location and proximity to Bragg, Pope, Lejeune)
If you are not in a hurry, you can often find them at flea markets and yard sales and gun shows for $5 - $10. I suppose this idea goes for just about everything these days: if you need it now you are going to have to pay more. I have 8 of them I have maintained and used since Desert Storm. Paid $5 each. They sit out of the way under a workbench until I need them and are easily transferred to our vehicles. If you want something much less durable then the possibilities are endless on Amazon and Walmart.

The containers I mention work for long term storage as well. I've stored in them a month and would still drink after a year by simply adding about 4 drops of unscented bleach per gallon and waiting 30 minutes. For people that do not like the plastic taste I suggest you let them get real thirsty or encourage them to find water elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:37 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'd like to avoid the plastic smell/taste in the water if possible. Obviously if I come upon plasticky water in an emergency and I'm about to die of thirst, I'll drink it. But it's not an emergency yet - that's the whole point of preparing early. I'd like to be able to store water in a container that doesn't leach plastic, especially since these aren't cheap to buy. Plus, I'm more likely to end up using this on road trips, car camping trips, RV'ing, etc. than in an actual emergency.

I wrote Scepter an email asking for some advice on how to clean them, and also what their recommended storage time is, and here's what I got:

"Good day
As far as odor I do not recall receiving any complaints.
All our containers (including water) are designed for short term storage; therefore we cannot comment on how long they can be stored.
Kindest regards"

Not very helpful at all! Half the bad reviews out there are because of the plastic smell/taste in the water, including the ones on Amazon, so either they're pretending that's not an issue to try and sell it to me, or they're actually unaware, either of which are a bad sign. The fact they can't commit to any kind of recommended storage time is also a big red flag in my mind. If I buy store bought bottled water, it's fine for about 1-2 years. They're telling me their $40 can can't even match that?

"Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying."
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Selling some stuff here | Preparedness Carry System | Ultralight list of tips

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:32 pm 

I will say neither of my LCI cans have a smell or taste, and I was pretty half-assed in cleaning them when new. I honestly haven't heard many complaints from folks using them regularly, they are in pretty common use with the overlanding community.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:04 pm 

I'm keeping an eye out for additional options on storing water as well, ever since a few of my Reliance cans ended up cracking a few months ago.

The Reliance cans worked great for a few years, with just a few modifications to the seals to keep them from leaking around the caps. Kept full and standing up seemed to put too much stress on the bottom edges and they eventually gave out though. I think they are supposed to be stored lying on their side if you are going to keep them full for long-term storage though, so it could be my fault for misusing them. I am considering the Water Bricks, as the size and form factor is right, but they are very expensive for the volume stored.

I've found that most plastic containers do start with some plastic smell/taste, but they will eventually lose it over time. I think hot water washes with soap and/or baking soda help speed along the break-in, but also a few cycles of just leaving them full for a few days and draining helps outgas whatever is going to outgas.

Colin Wilson wrote:
There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:42 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Agree. Soap, baking soda, vinegar...there are a lot of suggested remedies with time being a good one. The "plastic" taste often seems lessened by being chilled I've found. The "leaching" effect has grown in importance as well with the handheld computers that everyone carries allowing them to become instant scientists after minutes of careful research. I think some "bottle" distributors may have an eye toward market share but I'll add that I become increasingly skeptical about anything that includes "profit" as I age. Heck, last week I wanted to take a long walk around some bean fields with some dogs and thought to put together a snack in my pockets. On one side I put two hardboiled eggs in a ziplock bag full of blueberries, raisins and granola. In the other I put a pack of hotdogs that I like to carry and break up into small snacks as a reward to the dogs that check back in with me frequently as they use their olfactory skills to determine who and what has occupied that area. About halfway through the event I reached into my snack bag for a handful of granola and fruit. It was then that I noticed a powerful egg smell/taste had "leached' into my snack. The dogs, noticing that I had stopped, returned to see if I was eating so I broke up a few of the hotdogs and rewarded them. Hungry, they wolfed down those hotdogs with no complaints. I suspect that even if the dogs knew what crushed animal slime, pus bags and by-product went into those hotdogs they would still be grateful to eat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:29 am 

To elaborate on the leak issues in the reviews of nearly any container: Unfortunately, most all products these days are lacking in the quality finishing department, unless you are willing to pay big bucks (and even then it can still be a problem). I find that you'll have to either go to the store and hand-pick the cream of the crop, or plan on doing some fine inspection of the seals and sealing surfaces, and then some trimming of flash etc. to get things to seal properly. I sometimes add or swap-out O-rings to the factory seals. The investment can be few minutes and some cents of materials, but it will make a world of difference on a cheap container. Just sad that lots of products no longer receive this kind of attention before leaving the factory.

Colin Wilson wrote:
There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.