Seriously Waterproof Sunscreen.

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Night Errant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shock Waves (1977), Noche De la Terror Ciego (1971)

Seriously Waterproof Sunscreen.

Post by Night Errant » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:20 pm

I'm going to be doing some beach-hunting this summer; can anybody recommend a sunscreen that will remain effective even after hours of sweat and an occasional aqueous excursion?
"He becomes happy at night
who trusts his journey-provisions;
a ship's sailyards are short;
an autumn-night is changeable.
The weather changes in many ways
in five days,
and more in a month."

- Hávamál

echo83

Re: Seriously Waterproof Sunscreen.

Post by echo83 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:53 pm

My vote is for Coppertone Water Babies SPF 50. It works really well for my family.

https://www.amazon.com/Coppertone-Water ... reen&psc=1

It's designed for kids, a segment of the population that hates wearing and applying sunblock, so it makes sense that each application lasts a long time. They recommend applying every 80 minutes, but I'm fair skinned and apply once a day. It's highly water resistant, blocks a ton of sun, and isn't too expensive. It also comes in a spray, but the lotion is superior.

Bonus points for the high visibility pink bottle, too.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:24 pm

Safest plan: Only go out at night.

I spend some time in boats, or waist deep with a rod casting flies/lures. I have had cancers removed probably due to growing up on hay wagons without a shirt and being a right handed shooter having spent a goodly amount of time in the prone. Additionally, I was resistant to the wearing of creams and lotions and was unaware of the damage until I had stood outside for over 30 years. I don't have the olive pigment. I get screened every 6 months now by a Derm.

My Doc tells me not to trust any of them but to wear a hat and choose good clothes to protect me from UV rays. I found an old lady's gardening hat that protects my head and shoulders at Hom De Pot. I hope to one day add a red velvet sombrero and I am open to suggestions about other lightweight, large hats.

In addition to opinions here, I recommend looking to Consumer Reports or opinions from surfers.

My opinion: Big hat. I use Coppertone Sport (30) and Banana Boat Sport Mist (100) in sort of a heavy layer combo when I am in or on the water. Let us know what you use, how it worked, etc. Best of luck.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Get a good hat - it beats any sunscreen.

Wear SPF proof clothing as well.

Man is a beast of prey

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:20 pm

Back in the day , when I was much thinner and my life revolved around surfing . We used zinc oxide when we absolutely could not recieve anymore sun. Very water resistant ( wore it while surfing ). Of course it's quite bright white.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:29 pm

Clear zink.

And fishing polos.

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:36 am

I'm very fair-skinned, so I usually use sunscreen, hat, and if I'm going to be out a long time, light long-sleeved shirt over my short-sleeved one. Some areas of the body are really hard to apply sunscreen on no matter what, like the part in your hair, so hats and clothing are really great for protection.

I'll second the Coppertone Waterproof. Neutrogena also makes some long-lasting, high SPF (75 and 100+) sunscreen that isn't hard on your skin from an oil/sensitivity to chemicals standpoint.

I'll also second the SPF clothing. They make them now for all kinds of purposes, so you can get swim-appropriate gear in SPF as well. Looking into gettnig some for my littles.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri May 11, 2018 8:54 am

It's time again to remember that the big, bright yellow sun can hurt you and your tribe.
2018 Consumer Reports ranks best sunscreen
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Other Gear”