It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:02 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Vallyn wrote:
A PAW D&D game wouldn't be out of the question, though.
Do you game the Serenity RPG?

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:20 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Cards. The countless hours I have spent playing spades seems to have got me this far. (Plus - thrill of running a Mo).
Books. Good ones. Thinking is a good way to travel.
Writing. A number 2 pencil and some paper. Make it good. Then someone can read it.
Needle and thread. You have time; time to patch the holes.
Sharpen blades. It will keep pencils sharp and you can write more so that people have more to read.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:20 pm 

MPMalloy wrote:
Vallyn wrote:

These days, it's mostly 5th edition D&D. Some Pathfinder, and we're talking about doing something FATE like Harry Dresden to change it up, but most of time time it's the continuing murderhobo saga. (I do miss the alternate murderhobo saga, in which I played a klepto sorcerer with 7 Int and 7 Wis.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:26 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Vallyn wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
Vallyn wrote:
These days, it's mostly 5th edition D&D. Some Pathfinder, and we're talking about doing something FATE like Harry Dresden to change it up, but most of time time it's the continuing murderhobo saga. (I do miss the alternate murderhobo saga, in which I played a klepto sorcerer with 7 Int and 7 Wis.)

Things have changed since I last gamed. :)

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:34 pm 

MPMalloy wrote:
Vallyn wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
Vallyn wrote:

Big D&D change recently was that they switched to this advantage/disadvantage system of rolling 2 d20, instead of floating modifiers. Unless it's been a long time since you gamed, and now having a high AC is a good thing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:40 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Vallyn wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
Vallyn wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
Big D&D change recently was that they switched to this advantage/disadvantage system of rolling 2 d20, instead of floating modifiers. Unless it's been a long time since you gamed, and now having a high AC is a good thing.
It has been over 20 years since I gamed D&D. You wanted high stats & a low AC. An AC below zero was real good. I remember the original book. It had chits instead of dice.

I should go to the game shop. :)

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:02 am 

Vallyn wrote:
Our bug-in plans have gone toward making sure that we have plenty of paper books. More knowledge and entertainment on the shelves than can fit in the head.

I keep a dozen blank character sheets and and a bag of dice in my BOB. On mock bug outs, we always try to get in a game towards the end.

I've even toyed with the idea, for the homestead, of premade wax tablets similar to those used in the 18th century to practice writing, which would be a sustainable source of sheets.

The trick with gaming, though, is it requires a steady light source-gaming by candlelight can be tough although it's easier with systems that you don't have to crack the books a lot for though. So either you're burning daylight to play or you're burning fuel. Still, in "Farnham's Freehold" it is mentioned that their nightly game of bridge was one of the things that help keep them sane and I'm inclined to believe that-it proves that you are more than just animals trying to survive, but intelligent animals who are going to thrive!

Also worth noting-any form of music or storytelling or performance art is a good investment for grid-down entertainment. Musical insturments would be hard to carry on a bugout, but that depends-a harmonica fits in your pocket and is relatively easy to learn, and drums can be improvised out of a lot of common items. Communal singing, dancing and storytelling is a tradition that goes back farther than recorded history, so that is definitely something that works in the absence of shiny electronic toys.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:29 am 

I have a low whistle in D made of PVC pipe. I bought mine from Ethnic Wind. It's like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MK78OY
Someone clever could make one cheap.

It's pretty, easy enough to self-learn, and it's quiet enough to play the low octave while someone is sleeping in the next room. It doesn't fit in your pocket, but it's light enough to be worth carrying out in the field. I highly recommend it as an instrument for camping, since it doesn't dent, scratch, or get ruined by water. Only downside is that you can't sing while playing it.

People tend to not know what they are, so lots of interest when you pull one out around the campfire. Not as grating as a harmonica. Learn some celtic-y tunes in minor keys and suddenly you're the bard of Camelot. Hours of fun.