It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:04 pm 

I have some Seventh Generation multi-surface disinfecting wipes. The packaging says that they are safe for "food preparation surfaces." In a situation where water is limited, would it be safe to clean off dishes and eating utensils with these wipes and then rinse them with a water-dampened paper towel or cloth?

Here's a list of what the wipes are made with, copied directly from the Seventh Generation site:

Quote:
Active ingredient: thymol (present as a component of thyme oil). Other ingredients: Aqua (water), sodium lauryl sulfate (palm kernel or coconut-derived cleaning agent), copper sulfate pentahydrate (bluestone) (mineral derived water mineralizer), citric acid and sodium citrate (cornstarch derived water softeners), essential oil fragrance† (origanum vulgare (oregano) oil, cymbopogon nardus (citronella) oil, cymbopogon schoenanthus (lemongrass)) oil. Wipe substrate: polyester, rayon. †Citral is a component of these essential oils.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:22 pm 

Towanda wrote:
I have some Seventh Generation multi-surface disinfecting wipes. The packaging says that they are safe for "food preparation surfaces." In a situation where water is limited, would it be safe to clean off dishes and eating utensils with these wipes and then rinse them with a water-dampened paper towel or cloth?

Here's a list of what the wipes are made with, copied directly from the Seventh Generation site:

Quote:
Active ingredient: thymol (present as a component of thyme oil). Other ingredients: Aqua (water), sodium lauryl sulfate (palm kernel or coconut-derived cleaning agent), copper sulfate pentahydrate (bluestone) (mineral derived water mineralizer), citric acid and sodium citrate (cornstarch derived water softeners), essential oil fragrance† (origanum vulgare (oregano) oil, cymbopogon nardus (citronella) oil, cymbopogon schoenanthus (lemongrass)) oil. Wipe substrate: polyester, rayon. †Citral is a component of these essential oils.

I'm not seeing anything in there that I'd consider especially harmful or unsafe, especially if you're also rinsing. I'm also not a chemist.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:30 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Interesting idea, Towanda.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:12 pm 

KJ4VOV wrote:
I'm not seeing anything in there that I'd consider especially harmful or unsafe, especially if you're also rinsing. I'm also not a chemist.

That's exactly why I'm asking. I'm not a chemist either, but I do have sense enough not to try this with something like Clorox wipes.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:31 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

7th Gen would be safe in a pinch but I personally wouldn't use them too often for it. I'm not a fan of sodium laurel sulfate (sudsing agent) in anything I use though. It's why we make so many of our own products. I wouldn't use anything other than 7th Gen for dishes though. The other brands have far too many chemicals in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:08 pm 

goofygurl wrote:
7th Gen would be safe in a pinch but I personally wouldn't use them too often for it. I'm not a fan of sodium laurel sulfate (sudsing agent) in anything I use though. It's why we make so many of our own products. I wouldn't use anything other than 7th Gen for dishes though. The other brands have far too many chemicals in them.

SLS irritates some people's skin at the concentrations it is typically found in soap. It isn't the horror substance that quacks like Mercola try to make people believe it is. Far more people find all-natural poison ivy to be an irritant than SLS.

SMoAF wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:09 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Oh I meant myself specifically. I've dealt with severe chronic pain issues since 2007. Found that when I removed most commercial products from my home that the pain pretty well went away.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:13 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Towanda wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:

That's exactly why I'm asking. I'm not a chemist either, but I do have sense enough not to try this with something like Clorox wipes.

Wipes like these (including the clorox wipes) are used to clean food prep surfaces, and restaraunts use a liquid clorox/water rinse to disinfect dishes when they wash them. My only concern would be them leaving a bad taste on the dishes. As KJ said, ripe - rinse - eat.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:12 pm 

I do it a bit. but then I grew up eating dirt.

If it is for your house. Disposable plates are a bit better.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:52 pm 

I've done the same thing, used those to get the food residue off them then wipe them off. I also have a habit of throwing utensils in my water as I boil it. If the utensils are clean its just an extra precaution that doesn't involve any extra work.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:28 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Since you're rinsing them afterwards I don't see why it'd be a problem. (And if it works please post, on short camping trips I don't want to deal with washing dishes but also don't like paper plates/bowls, this seems good...)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:10 pm 

Thanks, Duo! Your opinion is enough for me to try it. I'll do an experiment next weekend and eat all my meals from aluminum mess kits with stainless German surplus utensils, cleaned with Seventh Generation wipes and damp paper towels. Results and ill effects to be posted in this thread.

SMoAF wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:28 pm 

No ill effects so far.

Breakfast: coffee and cereal. The coffee was made with my camping one-cup filter cone. Cereal with rice milk was eaten in the smaller pot from a Trangia 27-2UL cookset, and the spoon from a German four-piece utensil set. The filter cone, coffee mug, Trangia pot and spoon were all wiped down with a Seventh Generation wipe, left for ten minutes, and then rinse/wiped with a paper towel moistened with tap water. The paper towel was more than damp but not so wet that it lost its structural integrity and became useless. All dishes and utensils were wiped and rinsed again after eating.

Lunch: a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and cold water. The peanut butter and jelly were retrieved from their respective jars and applied to the bread with the knife and spoon from the German utensil set. Water was drunk from a stainless steel 40-ounce Klean Kanteen bottle. After use, the knife and spoon were wiped with a Seventh Generation wipe, left for ten minutes, and rinsed with a wet paper towel in the same manner as the breakfast dishes. The Klean Kanteen still had water in it, so was not cleaned.

Dinner: a can of Progresso lentil soup to which I added a generous amount of Sriracha, two sticks of string cheese on the side, and more water. Dessert was three slices of crystallized ginger because I'm addicted to the stuff. The soup was cooked on the Trangia kit and eaten with the German surplus spoon. The pot and spoon were Seventh Generation'd, left for ten minutes, and rinsed after eating.

SMoAF wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:33 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Towanda wrote:
No ill effects so far.

Breakfast: coffee and cereal. The coffee was made with my camping one-cup filter cone. Cereal with rice milk was eaten in the smaller pot from a Trangia 27-2UL cookset, and the spoon from a German four-piece utensil set. The filter cone, coffee mug, Trangia pot and spoon were all wiped down with a Seventh Generation wipe, left for ten minutes, and then rinse/wiped with a paper towel moistened with tap water. The paper towel was more than damp but not so wet that it lost its structural integrity and became useless. All dishes and utensils were wiped and rinsed again after eating.

Lunch: a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and cold water. The peanut butter and jelly were retrieved from their respective jars and applied to the bread with the knife and spoon from the German utensil set. Water was drunk from a stainless steel 40-ounce Klean Kanteen bottle. After use, the knife and spoon were wiped with a Seventh Generation wipe, left for ten minutes, and rinsed with a wet paper towel in the same manner as the breakfast dishes. The Klean Kanteen still had water in it, so was not cleaned.

Dinner: a can of Progresso lentil soup to which I added a generous amount of Sriracha, two sticks of string cheese on the side, and more water. Dessert was three slices of crystallized ginger because I'm addicted to the stuff. The soup was cooked on the Trangia kit and eaten with the German surplus spoon. The pot and spoon were Seventh Generation'd, left for ten minutes, and rinsed after eating.
Good post. Thanks for keeping us informed. :)

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:44 pm 

If I'm still not feeling any ill effects after dinner tomorrow night, I may continue the experiment into the week and see what happens if I go for a full eight days, which is the duration of the festival I go to every summer.

SMoAF wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:52 am 

Good write up! Thanks for the update.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:42 pm 

For this experiment, my Trangia cookset is set up on top of my regular stove. Today while I was boiling the coffee water, I forgot to turn on the exhaust fan. About five minutes after I had finished brewing my coffee and while I was still waiting for the stove to cool down enough for me to put the lid on it, my CO detector started giving three little chirps, each series of chirps a minute or two apart. I turned on the exhaust fan and the CO detector quieted down after about five more minutes.

I will say that the smoke and CO detectors in my apartment seem to be extremely sensitive. Candles have set off the smoke detectors before. Still, if you're going to use an alcohol stove indoors for an extended period, you should crack a window. I doubt that burning the amount of denatured alcohol needed to boil 16 ounces of water would produce nearly enough CO to harm an eight-pound cat or an adult human, but it's something to keep in mind if I ever have an extended power outage and have to run my alcohol boat heater overnight. Time to go to Google and read up on denatured alcohol and CO emissions.

SMoAF wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:32 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Towanda wrote:
For this experiment, my Trangia cookset is set up on top of my regular stove. Today while I was boiling the coffee water, I forgot to turn on the exhaust fan. About five minutes after I had finished brewing my coffee and while I was still waiting for the stove to cool down enough for me to put the lid on it, my CO detector started giving three little chirps, each series of chirps a minute or two apart. I turned on the exhaust fan and the CO detector quieted down after about five more minutes.

I will say that the smoke and CO detectors in my apartment seem to be extremely sensitive. Candles have set off the smoke detectors before. Still, if you're going to use an alcohol stove indoors for an extended period, you should crack a window. I doubt that burning the amount of denatured alcohol needed to boil 16 ounces of water would produce nearly enough CO to harm an eight-pound cat or an adult human, but it's something to keep in mind if I ever have an extended power outage and have to run my alcohol boat heater overnight. Time to go to Google and read up on denatured alcohol and CO emissions.
Good call Towanda. Thanks for the post.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:24 pm 

After a lot of reading, I have concluded that my CO detector is a fussbudget and I am in no danger from my Trangia stove. I shall heed any future warnings it gives me because the source will be far less obvious.

Today's menu:

Breakfast: same as yesterday. No detectable cleaning wipe flavor in/on anything I used to eat with. Cup, aluminum pot/bowl, and German stainless spoon all wiped down and rinsed afterward.

Lunch: Cheese sandwich, canned peaches, water. Everything prepared with stainless German utensils. No detectable cleaning wipe flavor. Utensils and aluminum pot/bowl wiped and rinsed afterward.

Dinner: Knorr noodle side with a 6-oz can of salmon mixed in (I'm not entirely vegetarian anymore), water to drink, crystallized ginger. Cooked on the Trangia with German stainless utensil set. Everything tasted fine.

I have learned that two wet wooden chopsticks are fine Trangia simmer ring adjusters.

Still no noticeable ill effects. I will continue the experiment into the week.

SMoAF wrote:

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:40 pm 

Before wiping, scrape excess food off with a rubber spatula. reusable and may extend the life of each towelette.

As for the chemicals used,
in the boyscout kitchen, we use a bleach/water mix to sanitize.
In the kitchen where I work we use a mix of Ammonium chloride/water.
In the troop trailer, I keep a bottle of Steramine.

raptor wrote:
...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:
... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:03 pm 

I'm not going to keep typing out the day's menus.

Experiment continuing, still no noticeable ill effects.

SMoAF wrote:

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:53 am 

Still no ill effects.

SMoAF wrote:

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:59 am 

In the RV we have an 8 gallon gray water tank. We wash with a spray bottle filled with water and a bit of Dawn. Some foods need to have soap to clean.
We rinse the soap with water with a bit of bleach mixed in. A second rise with just water completes the cycle.

We either dry with a towel or sit things on the rack if we leave to stove up...

Thanks for the continued follow up.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:22 am 

It's been a week. I have survived, and felt no ill effects. I'm going to say that Seventh Generation cleaning wipes are safe to use on dishes and eating utensils, as long as you're not allergic or sensitive to anything in them.

SMoAF wrote: