Alternative Dutch oven cooking pit buildouts

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 7932
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Alternative Dutch oven cooking pit buildouts

Post by TacAir » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:31 pm

On another board, several folks had opined that they would live to try dutch oven cooking, but had no place at home to even try.

Well, how about thinking outside of the box?

Image

Image

Use a cheap metal oil pan to hold the charcoal.

Image

Use two - to protect your deck/lawn.
OR
Use some bricks or even a flower pot holder -- everything will stack for storage

Image

Image

Not as pretty or small - but a flowerbox sort of thing will work as well.

Image

Hopefully, this will give you some out-of-the-box ideas on how you really can cook in a dutch oven with minimal impact to your property.
Last edited by TacAir on Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

User avatar
CG
* * *
Posts: 759
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Middle of a Haboob, Texas

Re: Dutch oven cooking spot at home

Post by CG » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:02 pm

Thank you for showing me something to do with the stack of bricks in the backyard. Making my husband twitch is just an added benefit.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 7932
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Dutch oven cooking spot at home

Post by TacAir » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:58 pm

CG wrote:Thank you for showing me something to do with the stack of bricks in the backyard. Making my husband twitch is just an added benefit.
LOL

Make him cook the bread or at least some biscuits for dinner....

Just was hoping this would give folks a push to add to their cooking tools and skills.

Image

Here is a rough guide for charcoal briquette count to oven temp . Using a real (but smaller) oven thermometer inside will help when first starting. Once you get everything dialed in, you can cook by eye...

Have fun!
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

50 Mission Cap
*
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:32 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Alternative Dutch oven cooking pit buildouts

Post by 50 Mission Cap » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:14 pm

I finally got some time off work last week so actually found the time to cook in a DO in the garage/barn. Made a chicken pot pie. Nice guilty pleasure. I too use a steel oil drain pan (not easy to find these days). I'm not uptight about the concrete in the barn or driveway so I just set the pan on the concrete, but those are some great ideas for urban/suburban folks.

Looking forward to the car camping season I think I'm going to make a DO table to mount to the side of the teardrop camper. Has to be removable and above all not melt the side of the camper. Got a little thinking/engineering to do.

Thanks for posting and getting me thinking about the upcoming season.

taipan821
* * *
Posts: 522
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:58 am

Re: Alternative Dutch oven cooking pit buildouts

Post by taipan821 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:54 am

I use a gas cylinder that has had the top cut off and a little access door added to the side, works great and with care leaves very little scarring.
The issue is that first cut with the angle grinder
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 7932
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Alternative Dutch oven cooking pit buildouts

Post by TacAir » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:13 am

50 Mission Cap wrote:I finally got some time off work last week so actually found the time to cook in a DO in the garage/barn. Made a chicken pot pie. Nice guilty pleasure. I too use a steel oil drain pan (not easy to find these days). I'm not uptight about the concrete in the barn or driveway so I just set the pan on the concrete, but those are some great ideas for urban/suburban folks.

Looking forward to the car camping season I think I'm going to make a DO table to mount to the side of the teardrop camper. Has to be removable and above all not melt the side of the camper. Got a little thinking/engineering to do.

Thanks for posting and getting me thinking about the upcoming season.
Sounds like a plan. Please take some photos and post 'em. I like to see what others folks come up with to support their habit - cooking!
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

User avatar
The Twizzler
* * * *
Posts: 936
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:47 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: Alternative Dutch oven cooking pit buildouts

Post by The Twizzler » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:14 pm

Just a side note. If you buy a cast iron dutch oven then buy one with the tiny legs at the bottom like the OP. I bought one sans legs and this makes things difficult, I found out later that this type is best for brick oven cooking. Live and learn I guess.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

User avatar
SCBrian
* * * * *
Posts: 1152
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:56 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Alternative Dutch oven cooking pit buildouts

Post by SCBrian » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:06 pm

The Twizzler wrote:Just a side note. If you buy a cast iron dutch oven then buy one with the tiny legs at the bottom like the OP. I bought one sans legs and this makes things difficult, I found out later that this type is best for brick oven cooking. Live and learn I guess.

Hey Twizzler - still plenty of options. I have ones with legs, and a single I ended up with without. You can always buy a lid stand and use that like a trivet to keep your oen off the coals, or forge one yourself... :)

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Original-F ... TPN7P77P5K

Image

Image
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.
Image

Post Reply

Return to “Other Gear”