It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:34 am 

So I have to replace my purse about once or twice a year because my purses get beat to hell. I don't necessarily abuse them but it's not a $2,000 Louis Vouiton (sp?) either. Also I read and write so usually have a book or notebook which sometimes doesn't always fit in my purse.

I was thinking of switching my EDC to a backpack. My son has one, my husband has one. It would fit all my stuff. I guess I'm just asking because I'm so used to having a purse cause I'm a chick. So I was just wondering if any other ladies use a backpack instead of a purse.

Also what would a good backpack be that isn't necessarily tacticool. I'm good with a durable school backpack type deal for now.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:58 am 

I've never carried a purse. I've always used backpacks or messenger-ish bags and pants with pockets.

The best school-type backpack I can suggest that won't break the bank is a Jansport Big Student. I used one for community college and another one for driving a cab. They both held up beautifully. They come in a few dozen different colors and patterns, and can often be found at local sporting goods stores if you don't want to wait for one to be shipped. Best of all, Jansport has a lifetime warranty.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:20 am 

I am not much of a lady, but have carried a man purse for most of a decade. my maxpadition versipack has weathered it well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:05 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I recently switched back to a backpack for EDC. I tested my purse on a hike with the family a couple of months ago. Though it had everything we needed, and I felt prepared for our worst case scenarios, I HATED the single shoulder strap after a mile or two. Rather than downsize the contents, I switched to a backpack and now the load is really comfortable for longer distance treks.

I'm currently using a simple, pretty inexpensive Broadstone pack from Canadian Tire. I think it's 20-25L. I've used it as a day pack for a few years and it's holding up pretty well to daily use.

EDIT to add a link to the pack I'm using. (Mine's the olive and brown version): http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/broad ... p.html#srp

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

Last edited by bacpacjac on Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:37 am 

If you need a new purse every six months, then you're carrying too much for a purse.
I've used the same cheap purse for the last seven years. Had to fix the strap last year but that's all.

Sorry I can't help you with a choice of brand/type, but it sounds like you have the right idea.

oh - keep in mind there are places that make you surrender a backpack to their care, but not a purse.
Unless they put it under lock & key, nobody gets my purse.

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:51 pm 

bacpacjac wrote:
I recently switched back to a backpack for EDC. I tested my purse on a hike with the family a couple of months ago. Though it had everything we needed, and I felt prepared for our worst case scenarios, I HATED the single shoulder strap after a mile or two. Rather than downsize the contents, I switched to a backpack and now the load is really comfortable for longer distance treks.

I'm currently using a simple, pretty inexpensive Broadstone pack from Canadian Tire. I think it's 20-25L. I've used it as a day pack for a few years and it's holding up pretty well to daily use.

This is mostly why I want to switch to a backpack because purses only have one strap.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:52 pm 

ZombieGranny wrote:
If you need a new purse every six months, then you're carrying too much for a purse.
I've used the same cheap purse for the last seven years. Had to fix the strap last year but that's all.

Sorry I can't help you with a choice of brand/type, but it sounds like you have the right idea.

oh - keep in mind there are places that make you surrender a backpack to their care, but not a purse.
Unless they put it under lock & key, nobody gets my purse.

I have cheap purses so even though the strap is still good and it holds all my stuff. The pleather starts to peel off. So it's not like it's broke it just looks horrible.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:17 am 

I have a Handbag of Holding from ThinkGeek as my main purse right now. I just got it, but it has a pocket that's perfect for concealed carry (a zippered pocket inside the main zippered compartment, so I can zip it up if I'm going to be around kids) and plenty of room for everything else. Heavy duty canvas-type material. A bit heavy, but that could also just be because my gun weighs a freakin' ton. I usually use my carabiner for my keys to clip it onto the cart while I'm getting groceries and such. Has a nice, wide crossbody strap that you can clip on or not. Hardware seems like it will last a while.

I also have this one, which is a one-strap backpack, and liked it well enough that I'm on my second. I can fit my tablet (10.1"), a large-ish but not textbook size book, a pouch or 2, and an umbrella in the main compartment. Water bottle fits well in the side net pocket, phone fits in the velcro one. It's mainly used if I'm going to be doing a lot of walking now that I no longer have a scooter/motorcycle. My first was green, my second is brown because they don't seem to be doing fun colors anymore. Not really convenient for carrying a handgun so much, but useful for everything else. Kept a multi-tool in the section on the strap. Never had any place tell me I had to leave it up front because it was a backpack.

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:38 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I carry a small purse with the essentials-wallet, keys, cell all the time. If I also want to carry more I put it inside a tote bag with wide straps. That way I can carry my tablet, a book and a water bottle comfortably. Just depends on my plans for the day.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:27 am 

I've used a Timbuk2 Maya for over a year as my purse. They apparently don't make those anymore. Before that I used Timbuk2 messenger bags which have all been beaten and abused for years with nothing but some slightly faded nylon to show for it. The extra small messenger would hold a tablet, small book, and normal purse stuff. The medium will hold most laptops and a textbook or two. I'll switch back to the messenger for the day if I need the extra space, but that's pretty rare lately. They make backpacks, too, but I've never tried them out. The material is the same so I imagine they are quite sturdy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:32 pm 

Most of what I need is attached to my carabiner or in my pockets, but when I do have to carry something more, I have this backpack purse thing and my daughter carries this one which is almost exactly the same thing except hers has a zipper with two zipper pulls and mine has only the one zipper pull per zipper. Both have been decently durable, though I don't carry mine every day. My daughter stuffs the everloving stuffing out of hers and carries it frequently. They're not exactly fancy as purses go, but they are practical and look a bit more lady-like than a tactical leg bag.

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:50 pm 

I usually carry a purse - or more accurately something like a hobo or a tote. But about 5 years ago I needed something bigger and sturdier for holding my laptop and essentials when doing field work and I settled on a bag called Pico2 from Etsy (idk if I'm breaking a rule here, I get nothing from suggesting this bag or seller!).

I don't use it every single day, but when I do it's packed pretty full and has held up beautifully. I went back about 3 years ago and asked the seller if they had one in waxed canvas that would be waterproof and they put one up for sale for me. I've still got both, and they are still in great shape. I use the older one as an overnight bag and keep it in the car and the waxed canvas still does field work duty.

Other than that I'd also maybe suggest a messenger bag?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:19 pm 

dont kow if they are any good i just googled handbag pack pack.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:59 pm 

I second the Handbag of Holding, if you are okay with the geek reference and small label (also the pull for the zipper is a D20). It has a lot of great compartments if you want to separate things...I don't like to keep my pens near my hairbrush or my book/work files next to my snacks, etc. Bought mine fairly recently, but my friend who has used hers for about a year and it is still in great condition.

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:23 pm 

Ellywick wrote:
I second the Handbag of Holding, if you are okay with the geek reference and small label (also the pull for the zipper is a D20). It has a lot of great compartments if you want to separate things...I don't like to keep my pens near my hairbrush or my book/work files next to my snacks, etc. Bought mine fairly recently, but my friend who has used hers for about a year and it is still in great condition.

Geeky doesn't bother me in the least. I will have to check that out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:15 am 

I have a backpack. I don't think purses are that practical, and like you said, they get beat up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:42 pm 

I require pants with pockets, and all I EDC is phone, wallet, knife with a few tools, pen, keys. (My flashlight fell off the keychain a week or two ago, haven't gotten a low-bulk replacement yet.) So usually, no dedicated bag. School bag has more stuff (cordage, fire, leatherman) and often travels with me, or I'll carry a smallish messenger bag when I don't have good pockets or want more supplies. (Edit: Yay, have penlights. One is in the pocket.)