Help Me Pick a Bill Hook

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Anianna

Help Me Pick a Bill Hook

Post by Anianna » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:24 pm

So, Condor Tool or Wodman's Pal? Something else?
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Re: Help Me Pick a Bill Hook

Post by Beowolf » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:36 pm

While I've never used one, I think I would prefer the straight blade of the Condor.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:35 pm

Woodman's Pal looks to me to be a tool that is primary a chopping tool with a hook,but the Condor Tool and Knife UltraBlaC2 looks more like a tool that is designed to hook and then secondary as a chopping tool. I would use the woodsman pal the same way as a machete ( standing upright and cutting limbs ) but the condor tool I would use to clear paths and fields,(bending down and remove plants close to the ground by hooking or pulling), then chopping the plants into smaller pieces. It would be ideal for clearing for a garden or camp.
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

buck85

Post by buck85 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:49 pm

The Condor Tool and Knife UltraBlaC2 , in my opinion would be a good tool for the hunt camp. It could do the duties of a light duty hatchet. I could see it used as a tool in butchering large game. Use the blade to chop through bones and the hook to gut the animal.

Black Beard

Post by Black Beard » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:05 am

Personally, I think that Yorkshire billhooks (2' long, curved blade on one side and straight axe on back, used 2 handed) are easiest to use for clearance as they are longer and designed for use with 2 hands.
The Staffordshire type billhooks (curved blade on one side, straight axe on back, one handed) are better for making hedges as they are easier to use in confined spaces.

http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/images/elwell%205.jpg

The curved forward blade is a lot more useful for controlled cutting than a straight blade. Just give it the right amount of go and it will cut every time.

The Condor Tools is made of 420 stainless steel, which is not a good tool material. The other one is a better material and handle but I don't like the shape.

buck85

Post by buck85 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:50 am

Nice!!!!!! I would take any one of them!!!!!!!
Last edited by buck85 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:02 am

Those are lovely. Thanks for the info, guys.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:56 am

Black Beard wrote:Personally, I think that Yorkshire billhooks (2' long, curved blade on one side and straight axe on back, used 2 handed) are easiest to use for clearance as they are longer and designed for use with 2 hands.
The Staffordshire type billhooks (curved blade on one side, straight axe on back, one handed) are better for making hedges as they are easier to use in confined spaces.

http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/images/elwell%205.jpg

The curved forward blade is a lot more useful for controlled cutting than a straight blade. Just give it the right amount of go and it will cut every time.

The Condor Tools is made of 420 stainless steel, which is not a good tool material. The other one is a better material and handle but I don't like the shape.
Man knows his bills. I prefer a Staffordshire Bill, (Also heard it called Roman), but they are different tools for different jobs. Laying a hedge is not brush clearance. I've always wanted to try a woodsman's pal, heard good stuff about it, but it's a not a billhook.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:56 pm

As much as I like Condor's blades and products, the Woodsman's pal has a very well mantained reputation. Though I wouldn't call it a billhook in the strictest sense, more of a modified cane knife.

I had a Fiskars billhook for awhile (sold as their brush axe) which I liked just fine for the price. I ended up trading it to a friend for a medium ALICE pack and frame though.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:48 pm

So, what would the Woodsman's Pal be good for as opposed to a billhook? Would it be ideal to have both on hand?

∩(=^_^=)

Return to “Other Gear”