It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: multitool
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:48 pm 

I have had a a lot of Leathermans. The Wave is by far my favorite and you can't beat the warranty. The wave has been my go to for at least 6 years.

One I always wanted to try was the Crunch. I have never seen one in person. Looks cool though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:49 pm 

For hiking I like the Leatherman Wingman. It has one knife. Which is all I need. And the full size (not the smaller ones with don't do much) scissors for dealing with first aid issues. And just the right amount of tools. Think slimmed down but still crucial multitool tool. IT has some ounce weight savings too. I also own a Surge. But I would never hike with it. the Wingman is still fullsize. But without all the extra stuff you never use.

Having said that. Nothing wrong with the Wave at all. In fact my last favorite Leatherman was one with a pate spoon and a wine bottle opener. As I took it on every get away. And my wife loved that she never had to pack a bottle opener. lol. ;) It got confiscated by TSA in Seattle one day. Now they run $80+ used.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:57 pm 

moab wrote:
For hiking I like the Leatherman Wingman. It has one knife. Which is all I need. And the full size (not the smaller ones with don't do much) scissors for dealing with first aid issues. And just the right amount of tools. Think slimmed down but still crucial multitool tool. IT has some ounce weight savings too. I also own a Surge. But I would never hike with it. the Wingman is still fullsize. But without all the extra stuff you never use.

Having said that. Nothing wrong with the Wave at all. In fact my last favorite Leatherman was one with a pate spoon and a wine bottle opener. As I took it on every get away. And my wife loved that she never had to pack a bottle opener. lol. ;) It got confiscated by TSA in Seattle one day. Now they run $80+ used.

I wont lie, I love the wave. In a BO I will take my wave but if I'm counting calories in the pack for a dayhike or just to see how light I can get, I have a skeletool I'll switch it out with for fun.

I also like the wingman but my wife has confiscated that one and now carries it in her purse. I can't be mad! :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:32 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I actually switched from a Leatherman Wave to the smaller Wingman awhile back.

The Wingman rides on my belt and the Wave sits in a pocket on my chest rig next to my SOG Seal Pup fixed blade.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:37 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Mr. Black wrote:
I have had a a lot of Leathermans. The Wave is by far my favorite and you can't beat the warranty. The wave has been my go to for at least 6 years.

One I always wanted to try was the Crunch. I have never seen one in person. Looks cool though.

The crunch works great. I use it as an extra hand to hold stuff in position when I'm working on AC equipment.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:26 pm 

Interesting that I've only seen a few comments regarding the SuperTool 300.

I have yet to own a multitool - Wenger and Victorinox knives have been the closest I've come so far.

So I'm curious about the opinions on it vs the Wave.

Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:10 pm 

zombieapocalypsegame wrote:
Interesting that I've only seen a few comments regarding the SuperTool 300.

I have yet to own a multitool - Wenger and Victorinox knives have been the closest I've come so far.

So I'm curious about the opinions on it vs the Wave.

The Supertool is just really big. It's more like something you'd want in your glovebox than on your hip or while hiking. The Wave seems to be big enough. I got the Wingman (I own the supertool too - it was a gift) because of it's lower weight. And it just has the tools I want without any that I don't really need. I also appreciate the full size (well full size for a leatherman) scissors for first aid applications, repairs etc. etc.

My advice is to go to the store and check each out next to each other. A good place with lots of info and the cheapest prices I have seen is http://www.moontrail.com/home.php?cat=3 ... 10&flag=ok that list of specs is great.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:40 am 

I've worn a Supertool 300 on my belt since I bought it a few years ago. It came with a leather/nylon belt holster. I also keep a Maglight Solitare in the side holder of the holster. Fits perfectly in there.

There are a couple of tools that I have yet to use on it. The lanyard ring and the can opener. [Yes I have even used the ruler that is etched on the side.]

It may be big to put in your pocket, but since I wear it on my belt I don't notice it at all. When driving I have to make sure my seatbelt is UNDER the holster though. But that is second nature too now.

Image ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:53 pm 

mikevlnt wrote:
Hello everyone,
I have an opportunity now to buy a multitool... I want to have it with the knife and screwdriver

Another vote for Leatherman, especially the Leatherman Wave multi-tool
Very sturdy and with the option of changing the toolbits.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:42 pm 

Another vote here for Leatherman. A good friend gifted me a Leatherman Wave and I honestly feel "naked" when I go out without it. Which almost never happens unles I am traveling abroad (rarely) or something.

voyaginator wrote:
mikevlnt wrote:
Hello everyone,
I have an opportunity now to buy a multitool... I want to have it with the knife and screwdriver

Another vote for Leatherman, especially the Leatherman Wave multi-tool
Very sturdy and with the option of changing the toolbits.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:29 pm 

I'll necro this thread since I posted in it last year about it. Finally got a Leatherman - for Christmas this year. My wife got me a Supertool 300 including getting my name engraved on it. :)

I'm a big guy (6' 3" @ 250lbs) and have big hands so I actually prefer the 300. It just fits in my hand better and I will carry it on my belt anyway. It makes WAY more leather squeak noise than my IWB holster ever did, so I'm going to need to break THAT in more than a little bit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:09 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

A personalized Leatherman from your wife? Sounds like it was a merry Christmas for you indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:31 am 

@majorhavoc
Absolutely! I got a couple NICE presents from my family this year instead of more but not quite as nice ones. I liked their choices quite a bit. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:49 am 

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. I’m looking at buying a new multi tool and appreciated everyone’s advice. I’m going with the Leatherman Skeletool.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:48 am 

I EDC the Skeletool with the stainless blade. Clipped inside my jeans pocket. I can't stand anything bulky on my belt. Hardly know it's there. And no it doesn't have a hundred tools but I use what it has - pliers, screwdrivers, knife and yes the bottle opener in the carabiner. I really like the screwdriver setup on this thing.

I also used a gift card to get a Supertool 300. It's a beast and very heavy. I have it in the EDC backpack that is never far from me if I need on of the tools on there. I just can't see using a wood saw or a file very often.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:52 pm 

50 thanks for the input - I still haven’t purchased but I want something similar that isn’t too bulky. My EDC needs Avery tame and I have been doing well with the Gerber Dime Tool but want a slightly longer blade.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:48 am 

I'll +1 the Skeletool.

I've had mine for about a year, and I've never used a multitool as much as I've used this. I've had much larger versions, but not only were they bulky and heavy, I found myself never using anything other than the basics (knife/screwdrivers/bottle opener). Because of the heft, I found myself leaving them in my bag, or not carrying them at all, as apposed to on my person.

The Skeletool changed that. I use it almost daily - and because of it's simple access to the blade, I stopped carrying a folding knife.

My only complaint is the orange coloured one only comes with a serrated blade, which I hate - so I had to get the black.