Ammo can love (and hate)

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jnathan
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

Ammo can love (and hate)

Post by jnathan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:10 pm

Hi everyone,

Lately I've been using some of the "Fat 50" (aka linked 5.56) Ammo cans that I picked from ammocanman.com for a very reasonable price. I clean them, lubricate the seals with Super Lube synthetic grease and install a lock kit in them.

I noticed some dinged paint one one and some rust on another and went about trying to match the dark green of the ammo cans with various shades of Aerovoe green camouflage paint. I tried both shades of OD Green (the lighter 34087 and the darker 34088) as well as forest green (34099) and dark green (34102). Of these, the closest match is forest green, but it's still not the actual color my ammo cans came in. I may try a few other options, but in the meantime I wanted to share this information in case anyone else is interested (and a little compulsive) about getting the paint right. :)

-Jeff
My name is Jeff, not Jonathan. Jonathan would fit...

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Re: Ammo can love (and hate)

Post by Beowolf » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:10 pm

That's good info--thanks! I've got a few that could use either touch up or repainting.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:54 pm

If you have some tools, you can use clevis pins for the hasp, so you don't have much sticking into the can. Here's an Instructable with the basic process; I used a pin without the existing holes, and instead of an o-ring (which I didn't think about) I just JB Welded it in place.

I really should finish repainting and modifying my other ammo cans.

jnathan
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

Post by jnathan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:29 pm

I'm a fan of the lock kit I linked to earlier because it includes a neoprene washer, a lock nut, and it's made of steel. It allows one to use a padlock with a shackle diameter up to 9/32 inch / 7mm. If you add another washer and add some silicone gasket sealer, you can be sure the hole you drilled won't leak. The kit includes a large washer for ammo cans that come with a big cut-out in the latch.

Here are some pictures of the parts before installation (click for a larger image):

Image Image Image Image

-Jeff
My name is Jeff, not Jonathan. Jonathan would fit...

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

pmcjuryny

Post by pmcjuryny » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:56 pm

jnathan wrote:Hi everyone,

Lately I've been using some of the "Fat 50" (aka linked 5.56) Ammo cans that I picked from ammocanman.com for a very reasonable price. I clean them, lubricate the seals with Super Lube synthetic grease and install a lock kit in them.

I noticed some dinged paint one one and some rust on another and went about trying to match the dark green of the ammo cans with various shades of Aerovoe green camouflage paint. I tried both shades of OD Green (the lighter 34087 and the darker 34088) as well as forest green (34099) and dark green (34102). Of these, the closest match is forest green, but it's still not the actual color my ammo cans came in. I may try a few other options, but in the meantime I wanted to share this information in case anyone else is interested (and a little compulsive) about getting the paint right. :)

-Jeff
Honestly your best bet is probably just to paint the whole thing if you don't want it to not be two tone

Murph

Post by Murph » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:49 pm

Why not put some acetone on a cotton ball swirl it on a spot to get some paint, and then swirl it on the spot that needs paint?
You could even have a designated paint "donor" can.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:21 am

My answer to Murph: because I had no idea you could do that.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Return to “Other Gear”