EDC light criterion. Needs a new one

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

olbaid_dratsab

EDC light criterion. Needs a new one

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:46 pm

So I've been looking for an EDC light. I'm picky as fuck about these things. I'll just list criterion, if you have a suggestion cool. If not, thats cool too. I currently have a few already for specific purposes. Surefire Executive (the approx 5'' one) as a house light. The tiny single AAA streamlight that has hundreds and hundreds of running miles. The double AAA Streamlight, that sees some use running and hiking. Those are my main ones. The shortie Surefire woodsmen or outdoorsman looks great, but shit, man. 200 bucks?
I need/want...
1) A manual "safety".
2) Tail cap conducive to the cigar-hold or whatever-its-called method.
3) About 1'' thick or less. Less than 4'' long.
4) Simpler the better. I don't need 8 operating mods with 4 strobe speeds. On and off is best.
5) Can't be cheap, but doesn't need to be bomb proof. Like 5ft drop proof.
and just bonus criterion, but not deal breakers...
6) AA or AAA
7) Battery life
8) Best if the tail switch doesn't have a constant on mode.

Thanks for your time.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Re: EDC light criterion. Needs a new one

Post by angelofwar » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:00 pm

If you're willing to sacrifice on the AA/AAA Req., nothing beats the simplicity of the Surefire 6P. You can get bodies pretty cheap, and throw a Malkoff Drop-in in there, and your set.

Even better would be the Surefire LX2...my go to EDC forever. Nice two way pocket clip. One setting really, but defaults to bright under stress. Push a little, low, push a lot, high.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:34 am

I've got a Pelican 1910 AAA Flashlight, which is pretty similar to the Streamlight AAA.
I know Pelican has some other options though, and they keep their lights pretty basic.
Maybe there's an option there that would fit what you're looking for:
http://www.pelican.com/lights_category.php
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:02 pm

Really going to be hard to suggest AA/AAA that has some power unless it's AA form factor but uses the AA size li-ions.

A good compromise.
Klarus XT12.
klaruslight.com/plist_show.php?id=152&lge=en

Runs on 18650, 2x 123, 2x RCR123.
Has a waterproof magnetic USB charging port.
Momentary on.
Dedicated strobe.
Firearm mountable and has springs and pistons for shock absorption and protect the battery.

I have the XT11 and I love it.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:13 pm

Really going to be hard to suggest AA/AAA that has some power unless it's AA form factor but uses the AA size li-ions.

A good compromise.
Klarus XT12.
klaruslight.com/plist_show.php?id=152&lge=en

Runs on 18650, 2x 123, 2x RCR123.
Has a waterproof magnetic USB charging port.
Momentary on.
Dedicated strobe.
Firearm mountable and has springs and pistons for shock absorption and protect the battery.

I have the XT11 and I love it.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:54 pm

Thanks. Both klarus and Pelican look like good contenders. I have a Surefire L4 Luminax that I've had since 2007. Its great, but I want something just a little smaller. The Klarus P1A looks like almost exactly what I want. I'm going to shop around town here first to see just to potentially get hands on one that I like, but if not...I think the Klarus will be ordered soon.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

sventhewarrior
Favorite Zombie Movies: Anything by George Romero

Post by sventhewarrior » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:05 pm

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I carry a little 5.11 PLX.

For me it's perfect. Small, good battery life, fits easily in a back pocket. If you want something that's bright enough to turn someone to a pile of ash, this isn't it, but that's part of what I like about it. If I'm digging through my trunk or just looking for the light switch I don't want a 200 lumen combat light, I just want something bright enough to see what I'm doing without blinding myself. On the other hand it is bright enough that if I had to use it alongside my gun I could.

Plus it's cheap.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:12 am

What about a Preon 2? Price is around $55 it has 3 light output modes, one tail cap button, is the size of a pen, uses AAA batteries and can put out 192 lumens(albeit for only 45 minutes in High mode).

"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:48 pm

I broke down and just picked up another Surefire.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:20 pm

olbaid_dratsab wrote:I broke down and just picked up another Surefire.
Which one did you get?
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:05 pm

My current fave edc light is a Solarforce Z1, uses cr123 or the rechargeable equivalent. Forward clicky, slim. Just wish it had one brightness, not four. It's a $20 light, slightly bigger than a chapstick. Get a few rechargeable batteries.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

turbo6

Post by turbo6 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:29 pm

I'm pretty partial to Fenix but I'm quite happy with my simple cheap and durable E12

Return to “Other Gear”