Kidney warmer/Wool Back Warmer To Stay warm in cold weather?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

knightoftheroad

Kidney warmer/Wool Back Warmer To Stay warm in cold weather?

Post by knightoftheroad » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:49 pm

There is a piece of clothing floating around that is referred to by various terms such as Back Warmer or Binder or Kidney warmer or even Belly warmer!

I believe the Japanese term for it is Haramaki..

What it is is basically a wool mix cloth belt that wraps around your midsection/kidney area worn directly against the skin to assist in keeping the wearer warm.

Has anyone here ever used these items to help in staying warm? Any ZS members from cold climates ever hear of this item?

I thought it was an interesting piece of clothing to run across.

knightoftheroad

Thorne
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead

Re: Kidney warmer/Wool Back Warmer To Stay warm in cold weat

Post by Thorne » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:49 pm

I've seen the Japanese version.. It's basically a short tube top and often combined with a disposable 'stick on heat pad.
Education on the value of freedoms reserved by the Bill of Rights should be a prerequisite for being a citizen of any nation. If we can't think for ourselves, then we're just putty in the hands of those in power. If citizens are educated and form their own opinions, then those in power work for us.

Carl Edward Sagan (9 Nov '34 – 20 Dec '96)

HorseSoldier

Post by HorseSoldier » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:41 am

The German military apparently issued something similar in WW2 and the Bundeswehr kept that going after the war -- At the Front sells surplus Bundeswehr ones for $3.00 (plus s/h). I haven't looked, but I'm guessing they must exist on eBay and other places as well.

http://www.atthefrontshop.com/ProductDe ... ode=gupibw

No idea on how well they work, but seems like a good idea -- unless you've got a good overlap between top and bottom, seems like that's where I feel cold seeping in with a shorter jacket a lot.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:15 pm

knightoftheroad wrote:There is a piece of clothing floating around that is referred to by various terms such as Back Warmer or Binder or Kidney warmer or even Belly warmer!

I believe the Japanese term for it is Haramaki..

What it is is basically a wool mix cloth belt that wraps around your midsection/kidney area worn directly against the skin to assist in keeping the wearer warm.

Has anyone here ever used these items to help in staying warm? Any ZS members from cold climates ever hear of this item?

I thought it was an interesting piece of clothing to run across.

knightoftheroad
News to me. I wear a proper length parka or Anorak - both have a drawstring at the hem and the waist.

There is a local shop that sells a "Classic Alaska" parka with what I can only describe as a cummerbund to prevent wind blowing into the garment. They sell a lot to North Slope workers, so that must work.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:36 pm

HorseSoldier wrote:The German military apparently issued something similar in WW2 and the Bundeswehr kept that going after the war -- At the Front sells surplus Bundeswehr ones for $3.00 (plus s/h). I haven't looked, but I'm guessing they must exist on eBay and other places as well.

http://www.atthefrontshop.com/ProductDe ... ode=gupibw

No idea on how well they work, but seems like a good idea -- unless you've got a good overlap between top and bottom, seems like that's where I feel cold seeping in with a shorter jacket a lot.
This, I bought one from Sierra Trading Post back in the mid 90's when I was a year round bicycle messenger in Chicago.

Yes it is like a halter top for your gut but man, when you are scrunched over your bike pedaling into -10 to -20 degree winds it helps a lot.

I used mine as sort of a buffer between my riding wind front tights (Bellwether or Pearl Izumi) and my Gore-Tex shell parka. Regardless of how well sized and properly strapped and bound the parka was, the high activity level and odd body geometry that riding a bicycle creates, made this garment a very valuable accessory.

I wonder now what did I do with mine? I cannot remember what happened to it.
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:13 pm

Interesting. I torqued up my back during the spring and bought one of those Ace back brace/wraps that wrapped around your lower back and your belly. It kind of helped but on a mid 70's day I find myself sweating. Maybe there is something to it. Your belly is part of your core, and I guess its helping to keep your core warm. I think I will dig that wrap out to test it in the cold. Its been in the single digits the past few days.

Return to “Other Gear”