Which Shotgun Scabbard?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ednemo

Which Shotgun Scabbard?

Post by ednemo » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:15 pm

I did a search and didn't see any threads comparing shotgun scabbards. I am looking for one to attach to a backpack for hiking. It would need to fit a Moss 500 18.5 with heat shield.

I have checked the reviews on the Condor, Explorer, NCStar, Ultimate Arms, and a few others but am looking for one that will survive bouncing around on a trail. (I am not planning on doing any sort of quick draw, I just want to carry it comfortably without a sling.

Does anyone have a preference or recommendation?

Stercutus

Re: Which Shotgun Scabbard?

Post by Stercutus » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:34 am

You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

nolongpork

Post by nolongpork » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:22 pm

Get one with a top flap for protection consealment....I know they are out there I had Tactical Tailor make mine...I have since seen that design done by lower makers. Can't find one on the WWW right now but it exists.

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:29 pm

ednemo wrote:I did a search and didn't see any threads comparing shotgun scabbards. I am looking for one to attach to a backpack for hiking. It would need to fit a Moss 500 18.5 with heat shield.

I have checked the reviews on the Condor, Explorer, NCStar, Ultimate Arms, and a few others but am looking for one that will survive bouncing around on a trail. (I am not planning on doing any sort of quick draw, I just want to carry it comfortably without a sling.

Does anyone have a preference or recommendation?
For a short time, I owned a Condor scabbard, within which I carried a 20" Mossberg 500. I did exactly what you have stated you wish to do - attach it to the side a larger backpack for hiking, and take it out. I will NEVER do that again.

First of all, the shotgun was basically inaccessible to me. There was no way to mount it on my pack so that it could be accessed without completely dismounting first. Sure, I could've crouched or bent over and allowed someone else to remove it, but I think there are some safety issues at play. ("Hey dude, can you grab my shotgun out of my backpack for me?") Additionally, with a heavier load that's easier typed than done.

Second, the heel of the stock protruded over the top of my head, occasionally grabbing tree limbs. Anyone walking behind me was at risk of being whipped in the face. After this was realized, I occasionally envisioned the heel smacking dangling wasp nest, and while this may or may not have been a plausible occurrence it definitely ran through my mind.

The Condor scabbard was okay - I mean, it did the job but wasn't anything really fancy. More tacticool than functional.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:33 pm

If you're trying to have a long gun accessible, Eberlestock is the way to go. If you just want to carry it not in your hands, a side-scabbard will work, but you'll need to watch how you load your ruck to make sure you're not too heavy on one side or the other.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:49 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:If you're trying to have a long gun accessible, Eberlestock is the way to go. If you just want to carry it not in your hands, a side-scabbard will work, but you'll need to watch how you load your ruck to make sure you're not too heavy on one side or the other.
I'm not super familiar with Eberlestock; is there a way to access your long gun (unrelated: I accidentally typed "loin gun" the first time 'round) without taking off the backpack? I'm could see myself in the market for something like that.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:28 pm

LJ126 wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:If you're trying to have a long gun accessible, Eberlestock is the way to go. If you just want to carry it not in your hands, a side-scabbard will work, but you'll need to watch how you load your ruck to make sure you're not too heavy on one side or the other.
I'm not super familiar with Eberlestock; is there a way to access your long gun (unrelated: I accidentally typed "loin gun" the first time 'round) without taking off the backpack? I'm could see myself in the market for something like that.
The Gunslinger series of packs and a few others put a scabbard between the body of the ruck and the wearer. I've got a video here of me drawing an AR from one. I'm on Tapatalk or I'd link it.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

LJ126

Post by LJ126 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:08 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
LJ126 wrote:
The Gunslinger series of packs and a few others put a scabbard between the body of the ruck and the wearer. I've got a video here of me drawing an AR from one. I'm on Tapatalk or I'd link it.
Cool, I'll search around for it. Thanks.

EDIT: Found it. Linked for reference.
http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/doc_t ... 5.mp4.html

And that is definitely quick.

ednemo

Post by ednemo » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 pm

Thanks for the responses. I really like the Eberlestocks, but I am not willing to pay 400+ for one. As this is just a convenient way to carry it while hiking to a camp, I think I am going to start looking for one with grommets at the bottom in case any water gets in it.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:25 pm

Thanks for the scabbard question and reference. I found one of the eberle packs priced nicely on Ebay.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:31 pm

Henry David Thoreau

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:44 pm

What about adding a Kifaru Gunbearer to your pack?

https://kifaru.net/holsters.html

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:27 pm

Thanks. I will give that a try. I may have priced myself out of the other one.
Henry David Thoreau

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:43 pm

Ha. It does not pay to post a good deal if there is only one item available.
Actually, I am trying to create my own using the Kifaru pictures as an example. I have the webbing from several safety belts from tree stands.
Thanks again.
Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Other Gear”