Mr. Heater Buddy question

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

designerchick

Mr. Heater Buddy question

Post by designerchick » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:20 pm

Hi all! We're adding some extra padding to our emergency heating supplies for the house, which is all electric (blech). Does anyone have this model (it's the smaller one) of the Mr. Heater: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G5 ... UTF8&psc=1
and if so, can you give me an estimate of how long one of the small 1lb. tanks would last? I'm thinking 2-3 hours? Can't find any specific info though.

Thanks!!

Flathead

Re: Mr. Heater Buddy question

Post by Flathead » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:03 pm

you are better off with a bigger heater than that. run time is short with 1 lb bottles.Cruise the pawn shops and find a good used Rennai. I picked one up for $30 that keeps my gun shop warm. Run time with a 20 lb tank is over 30 hours and rated at 30,000 btu's. It also has a fan on it that can circulate the air, but isn't needed to keep the shop warm.

designerchick

Post by designerchick » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:21 pm

The plan is to use this in one of the smaller bedrooms if we need heat. With all 5 of us piled in there, there wouldn't be much room for anything bigger, plus the big ones make us a bit more nervous with the kidlets running around. From our tests we think it will be sufficient heat for what we need. We've just never had an occasion to actually use it longer term, so we're not sure how much propane we would go through. And yes, we can crack the window and we have battery operated CO detectors.

majorrath

Post by majorrath » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:13 pm

Responses to similar question at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/long-heater-propa ... B002G51BZU

Their answers vary - I'd say your best bet would be do a test run and see how long a can burns on your specific unit.

designerchick

Post by designerchick » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:31 pm

majorrath wrote:Responses to similar question at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/long-heater-propa ... B002G51BZU

Their answers vary - I'd say your best bet would be do a test run and see how long a can burns on your specific unit.
Thanks! I didn't even think to check the Amazon questions. :oops:

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:57 pm

I have that heater. It kicks out a remarkable amount of heat for such a small unit. But make no mistake about it; it's designed to be a back up heat source.

I purchased the regulator and hose kit so I can run it off a standard 14lb propane tank. That solves the run time issue presented by using the 1 lb disposable bottles.

nolongpork

Post by nolongpork » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:04 am

I got about three hours per bottle out of mine and I second the big tank adapter. you do need venting though because the sensor is quite good.

Another low cost method for small room heat is a flower pot heater and it has a bonus of being a night lite. if you are interested. FYI I do not use tea lights I use 8hr restaurant candles (same as sterno long burn but 1/3 the cost)

HeldTheAncient

Post by HeldTheAncient » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:38 am

I have the big buddy unit and I love it! Definitely worth the investment to get the hose and adapter to hook up a larger propane tank (think grill tanks). I use it to supplement heat in the house when it's on low but if I turn it on high it easily heats up my living area which is about 700 square feet and has vaulted ceilings.

Black November

Post by Black November » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:21 pm

I recently picked up a big buddy, and 12' hose for a 20 lb propane tank.

In a few weeks, I plan to use it truck camping during Wintergeddon.
"I guess you broke into the wrong goddamn rec room, didn't you" -Burt- Tremors
WINTERGEDDON: IX, X, XI, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI, XVII
SUMMERGEDDON: IX, X, XII, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI
SUMMER BUG OUT: XIII

designerchick

Post by designerchick » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:46 pm

Thanks everyone! I'll budget the hose and filter for next month's to-do list.

azrancher

Post by azrancher » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:22 pm

designerchick wrote:Thanks everyone! I'll budget the hose and filter for next month's to-do list.
I tend to run mine on the low setting just to heat my back corner computer room/study. I'm thinking the 3-4 hours that are being quoted are low, but I've never timed it, I would guess 8 hours continuous on low. I would also just buy the adapter to refill the 1Lb containers from the 20Lb jug, the reason you want to use it on the smaller containers is for portability. And I'm not sure what you mean by filter?

Rancher

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by mystic_1 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:06 pm

azrancher wrote:the reason you want to use it on the smaller containers is for portability.
There are also safety implications to bringing a 20lb propane cylinder into your house. Almost all fire safety literature specifically warns against doing this.

I use a Mr Heater Big Buddy in my one-car uninsulated garage during winter. It takes two of the small bottles.

At a guess I would say I was getting at least six to eight hours of run time out of two bottles, using High (18000 BTU) to bring the temperature up, and then Med (9000) or low (4000) to maintain temperature.

If runtime is your main concern I think the Big Buddy using two one-pound bottles and running on low would be the best compromise between heat and safety for your stated scenario.

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:48 pm

mystic_1 wrote:
azrancher wrote:the reason you want to use it on the smaller containers is for portability.
There are also safety implications to bringing a 20lb propane cylinder into your house. Almost all fire safety literature specifically warns against doing this.
mystic_1
I have a styrofoam insert that fits in my window sash. It has a hole for the fuel line. This is the reason I opted for the longer 20' hose versus the shorter lengths.

The propane tank stays outside.

designerchick

Post by designerchick » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:54 pm

We already have the smaller heater, so we can't buy a larger one just now. We've just never had to use it continuously before, so I wasn't sure how long a small tank would last. We have about 16 tanks now, and we'll just stick with those until we have a chance to research the hose/larger tank issue better.

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate all the input.

Return to “Other Gear”