MOLLE Water Bottle Pouch

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

MOLLE Water Bottle Pouch

Post by ManInBlack316 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:12 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking for a decent MOLLE pouch for water bottles. I just bought myself a 3 day assault pack from LAPolice Gear and need pouches to put on the sides for my Klean Kanteen (27oz) and Nalgene bottle (16oz). I could carry the bottles inside the bag, but I prefer to keep them on the sides out of personal preference.
I use to have this Condor one:
http://www.amazon.com/Condor-H2O-Pouch- ... ttle+pouch
But I found it be rather "floppy" and don't need the zipper pouch.

What water bottle pouches do you guys like? Looking for something in OD green that isn't as much as the bag itself.

zero11010

Re: MOLLE Water Bottle Pouch

Post by zero11010 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:41 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:Hey guys, I'm looking for a decent MOLLE pouch for water bottles. I just bought myself a 3 day assault pack from LAPolice Gear and need pouches to put on the sides for my Klean Kanteen (27oz) and Nalgene bottle (16oz). I could carry the bottles inside the bag, but I prefer to keep them on the sides out of personal preference.
I use to have this Condor one:
http://www.amazon.com/Condor-H2O-Pouch- ... ttle+pouch
But I found it be rather "floppy" and don't need the zipper pouch.

What water bottle pouches do you guys like? Looking for something in OD green that isn't as much as the bag itself.
You want something that isn't as expensive as the bag itself, but you don't specifically provide the price of the bag. So, to help you I have to also go look up the current price of that bag and assume that you paid the same amount?

The Condor pouch is basically the standard. Maxpedition offers a super similar one at a higher price point (likely built to a higher standard). There are also some molle pouches that are for bladders rather than bottles and these tend to be flatter.

Here's a video from a reputable source that you may enjoy about a kit made solely with that pouch you don't care for:

There are some small adjustments you can make to that kit to reduce weight or reduce cost or slightly increase capacity, but, it's a great starting point.

If you want to carry something heavy like a water bottle on the side of your backpack you're going to get the thing flopping around, or you're going to have a heavy system to retain it. A water bladder inside your pack is likely the easiest solution to avoid flapping.

Murph

Post by Murph » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:48 pm

If you're happy with the LAPG Pack, you'll be happy with the Condor Pouch.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Nomad_Medic

Post by Nomad_Medic » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:52 am

I've got the same Condor pouch and have been happy with it. I turned the whole thing into a cooking kit. Part of what I did may remove the floppy issue you have (though it will add weight).

I purchased a SS canister that is just slightly larger than a Nalgene bottle that makes it fit perfectly inside the pouch.

I first place the lid into the pouch, then the canister, then a Glacier DuKJug Stainless Steel Water Bottle, and then I invert a GSI SS canteen cup onto that. This all fits inside the Condor pouch and zips close.

Incidentally, eating utensils, small spice jars or even a full sized rat trap will fit in the outside pocket f the pouch.
The living are higher than the lifeless, and the thinking are higher than those that can merely draw breath.
Marcus Aurelius

Mechanical Issues

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:51 pm

I have a Nalgene with a carabiner and 2 camo cozies... Tacticool for the ladies ;)
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:56 am

My apologies zero, I did not realize that I didn't.put the price for the bag, I paid around $32 for the bag including.shipping. Maybe I'll try the condor again, my experience with it may have been partly to blame on the backpack it was attached to.
I could always stuff a water bladder in there, but this will mostly be my everyday bag which usually entails it sitting on a desk while I'm working, so the water bottles are more useful for me.

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:48 pm

I have several rollable plastic pouches that fit perfectly on my sawyer water filter. They store easy and when full can slide into just about anywhere. One pouch came with the filter, one from walmart and the last from thinkgeek. I just don't like the large space that the bladders take up.
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:35 pm

Does the pocket HAVE to be a molle pocket? There are a lot of products on the market for holding water bottles.

Many dump pouches can hold a water bottle (though, they may flop around with aggressive movement).

A google search showed me a handful of different pouches with and without molle connections that were under $15. Basically what you want is a bag with an attachment point. Your list of needs isn't very high, and can pretty readily be met!

A lot of people will use shock cord or bungee cords to hold a bottle to their chest. It doesn't get much smaller/lighter/cheaper than that! You could certainly do the same thing on the rear/sides of a pack.

ITS tactical makes this one

Can't stress this enough. You do not NEED to have a water bottle attached to the side of your pack because you see other people who have that set up. I imagine the pack you got has a bladder compartment. You can use that for it's intended purpose and keep the dense water weight along your spine instead of off on one side and potentially throwing off your pack's weight.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:17 pm

You are correct that water bottle pouch on the side is not a need zero, but it's just a personal preference of mine, I've always had my water sources on the sides of my pack when I had a choice, just something the army got me into. I've done some more thought on it and maybe it would be more useful to have something like a 200 round SAW pouch on the side, this would be plenty big for my water bottles, and also big enough to have other uses.
http://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-S-T-R-I ... lity+pouch
This Blackhawk pouch seems like it would do fairly well in that role, although it's price means I'll wait a bit so the wife doesn't get too mad.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:15 pm

Let us know what you go with, and how you like it!

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:16 pm

I've got a couple of the condor pouches, I like them lots.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

streetshark1966

Post by streetshark1966 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:49 pm

just get a camel pack and you wont need them. But you should always have a ss water bottle in you pack

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:15 pm

I broke down and bought two of the Blackhawk pouches, figured since it's after Christmas and I've spent the last few months spoiling others that it's okay I splurge on my things a little. I'll post results and review when I receive them.
The bag does have a spot to put a hydration bladder, but this is my everyday bag and everyday consists of working at an office and sitting on my desk, so the bladder is not really useful for me unless I'm hiking or camping. I do carry a nalgene bottle and a Klean Kanteen in the bag.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:16 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote: this is my everyday bag and everyday consists of working at an office and sitting on my desk, so the bladder is not really useful for me unless I'm hiking or camping. I do carry a nalgene bottle and a Klean Kanteen in the bag.

Just something to think about. I'm assuming you don't carry 74 oz of water with you at all times (both containers filled). If your plan is to carry one container with water, and another container to be useful as a fillable option, try foldable bottles instead of the nalgene.

I believe a 1L Vapur bottle weighs 1.6oz empty. Platypus makes a foldable 1L bottle with fewer features that weighs 0.6oz empty. The Nalgene weighs about 6oz empty. I've been using both a platypus foldable bottle and a Vapur foldable bottle for a while (including bringing them on backpacking trips) and they're awesome. No issues with them.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:22 pm

The nalgene is currently a 16oz one, was thinking about upgrading to a wide mouth with a stainless steel cup for extra utility, this will add weight though. But I've always been the "mule" in any of my social groups that always carries extra supplies for others, I often used only water bladder while in medic training and let others take the water from my canteens (they were my personal new ones and never had anything nasty in them). I always keep my containers filled, empty them and fill them up whenever possible.
I do have a Platypus "bottle", but I need to find the regular cap for it.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:12 pm

Had a little difficulty with USPS getting my pouches, but I finally got them and have attached them to the bag. Will post a review and pictures during this weekend hopefully. So far, I really like them.

Return to “Other Gear”