Body Worn Camera

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Body Worn Camera

Post by Neptune Glory » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:00 pm

I'm considering purchasing a body worn camera. I think it would be useful for documenting situations where unfortunate encounters might happen, like walking to my car in a parking garage at night, walking the dog, etc and so on.

I found one that records audio and video, including low-light situations, with a 170 degree point of view, for about $300.

What do you all think?
-Neptune

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Body Worn Camera

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:28 pm

I carry plastic baggies for those unfortunate things that happen when I'm walking my dog. :crazy:

Serious answer: If I had a serious concern about unfortunate things happening to me while walking to my car in a parking garage at night, or while walking my dog, I would not invest my $300 in technology to record it as it happens.

I'd spend it on things that might prevent the unfortunate things from happening in the first place, or at least mitigate them. Things like a practical self-defense class, situational awareness training, or defensive equipment that comports with my local laws.

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:18 pm

majorhavoc wrote:I carry plastic baggies for those unfortunate things that happen when I'm walking my dog. :crazy:

Serious answer: If I had a serious concern about unfortunate things happening to me while walking to my car in a parking garage at night, or while walking my dog, I would not invest my $300 in technology to record it as it happens.

I'd spend it on things that might prevent the unfortunate things from happening in the first place, or at least mitigate them. Things like a practical self-defense class, situational awareness training, or defensive equipment that comports with my local laws.
And... if you'd already done all of that, and wanted backup in litigation if the fit hit the shan?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:14 am

It all goes back to the easiest way to avoid getting shot in a gun fight is not to be in one.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:43 am

Stercutus wrote:It all goes back to the easiest way to avoid getting shot in a gun fight is not to be in one.
No reason to carry a gun then, right?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:53 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Stercutus wrote:It all goes back to the easiest way to avoid getting shot in a gun fight is not to be in one.
I'd say going somewhere at a time that you believe a place to be unsafe is a bad reason to carry a gun and you should reexamine things.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:55 am

Stercutus wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
I'd say going somewhere at a time that you believe a place to be unsafe is a bad reason to carry a gun and you should reexamine things.
The world is unsafe. That's why I carry a gun and wear my seatbelt.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:05 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
The world is unsafe. That's why I carry a gun and wear my seatbelt.
What kind of body camera do you wear?
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

TheZone
Favorite Zombie Movies: The new Dawn of the Dead

Post by TheZone » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:16 pm

If you want the best, L-3 is coming out with a body cam in November. $500, very rugged. I took part in the test and evaluation program, and it is cutting edge. L-3 products as a whole are extremely high quality and the tech support is first rate.
My Zombie novel. The Zone.

My Second Zombie novel. Payload, YGAT Book 1

My Third Zombie novel. Rolling Hunger, YGAT book 2

My Western zombie novel. Sunstone

My alien invasion novel.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:21 pm

What do your state laws say about recording others without their knowledge orconsent?
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:25 pm

Personally I wear the Taser Axon. I am not crazy about it. When I have my weapon out my hands and the weapon (or arms depending upon weapon) cover a good portion of the FOV. Quality is good in the day time but at night/ very low light it is very limited. Audio quality is good unless it is windy in which case there is tons of rush. Battery life is very good and the 30 second loop feature is very useful.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Neptune Glory

Post by Neptune Glory » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:44 pm

yossarian wrote:What do your state laws say about recording others without their knowledge orconsent?
It's fine in my state, only need one party consent to record (and as I'm one of the parties, it's perfectly legal).
-Neptune
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

Neptune Glory

Post by Neptune Glory » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:45 pm

TheZone wrote:If you want the best, L-3 is coming out with a body cam in November. $500, very rugged. I took part in the test and evaluation program, and it is cutting edge. L-3 products as a whole are extremely high quality and the tech support is first rate.
Thanks, I'll look into that one!
-Neptune
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

Neptune Glory

Post by Neptune Glory » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:46 am

I think this...

http://www.eyespysupply.com/pv500evotou ... oC2rjw_wcB

plus this...

http://www.lawmatequebec.com/en/cmd-er1 ... amera.html

For the win. Can be worn with a baseball cap on, might be mistaken for a blue-tooth device from a little bit of distance away, and unlike the ones worn on the chest, it will always record what I'm looking at when I turn my head and look around.

I haven't ordered it yet, but I'm considering making the purchase a little later this year.
-Neptune

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:12 pm

I'm curious what you do for a living? I know personally I have a dash cam because people drive like turds but IDK if you would really get that much use from a body cam. A good cellphone might be more use, that way you'll always have it on you.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:17 pm

I like to film inside the home more than outside the home.... if you know what I mean.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

TheZone
Favorite Zombie Movies: The new Dawn of the Dead

Post by TheZone » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:52 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:I like to film inside the home more than outside the home.... if you know what I mean.
Of course we do: you have cats.

:mrgreen:
My Zombie novel. The Zone.

My Second Zombie novel. Payload, YGAT Book 1

My Third Zombie novel. Rolling Hunger, YGAT book 2

My Western zombie novel. Sunstone

My alien invasion novel.

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:11 pm

I don't think that the cost justifies the utility, at least when we're referring to its use in a self-defense situation. For law enforcement agencies, it can provide a defense for departments when the family of the "victim" attempts to take the city and department to court for possible civil rights violations. It also shows important parts of critical incidents from the perspective of a law enforcement officer, which despite what you might think, isn't taken very seriously by those who would scrutinize said officers for personal gain (sharky attorneys with political ambitions love to burn cops.) These don't apply so much to those who choose to lawfully retain their armaments outside of their homes.

That said, I don't think a worn camera would cause you any harm. However, that's provided you're altering your habits to minimize "situations," avoiding, defusing, and de-escalating conflicts, maintaining a good reputation and clean criminal record, and seeking training to employ your tools legally, effectively, and responsibly. Then again, you could always have a P.A. attempt to play you out as if you're some sort of vigilante wanna-be cop; it wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

Sooo... if it were me? No, I'd stick the money elsewhere.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Neptune Glory

Post by Neptune Glory » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:09 am

manowar1313 wrote:I'm curious what you do for a living? I know personally I have a dash cam because people drive like turds but IDK if you would really get that much use from a body cam. A good cellphone might be more use, that way you'll always have it on you.
I'm a registered nurse. I don't have any use for this on the job, it's just for when I'm not at home, and not at work, out in the world where random things occasionally happen.
LJ126 wrote:I don't think that the cost justifies the utility, at least when we're referring to its use in a self-defense situation. For law enforcement agencies, it can provide a defense for departments when the family of the "victim" attempts to take the city and department to court for possible civil rights violations. It also shows important parts of critical incidents from the perspective of a law enforcement officer, which despite what you might think, isn't taken very seriously by those who would scrutinize said officers for personal gain (sharky attorneys with political ambitions love to burn cops.) These don't apply so much to those who choose to lawfully retain their armaments outside of their homes.

That said, I don't think a worn camera would cause you any harm. However, that's provided you're altering your habits to minimize "situations," avoiding, defusing, and de-escalating conflicts, maintaining a good reputation and clean criminal record, and seeking training to employ your tools legally, effectively, and responsibly. Then again, you could always have a P.A. attempt to play you out as if you're some sort of vigilante wanna-be cop; it wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

Sooo... if it were me? No, I'd stick the money elsewhere.
I hear ya. My situation is... I don't really have anyplace else that needs money thrown at it. I'm carrying every day, and doing my best to avoid confrontation. If it happens, though, the way Missouri law works?

If I get charged with something in criminal court, and beat it, I'm then immune to civil liability. If I don't get charged with anything in criminal court, I'm wide open to civil liability.

Darren Wilson is feeling the effects of this exact situation right now, with his civil "wrongful death" lawsuit in the shooting of Michael Brown, because he never got charged with a criminal offense. Civil proceedings are easier to prosecute than criminal ones. I would just as soon avoid *both* by having footage of the (potential, but I admit not likely) incident on my side, reviewed by and presented by my attorney if the shit ever hit the fan while I was out and about living my life.

Bad things can happen to good people in nice places. I don't see the downside of a body worn camera, other than the initial expense. If that's not a problem... well, why not?

-Neptune

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:59 pm

Hey, if you've got the money, again, I don't see any harm in an emergency camera. It could be very beneficial for other situations, like car accidents or *workplace situations, provided you get one of the models that records the 30-seconds+ prior to pressing the power button.

*Some places of business prohibit employees from using recording devices of any kind while they're at work. I've worked in several different facilities that carry steep penalties (with potential for criminal charges) for unauthorized recordings and photography. I'd be really careful to avoid ending up in that situation.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Leif3141
Favorite Zombie Movies: I like fast zombies! I like the infected!

Post by Leif3141 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:03 am

If you walk a dog a lot, no matter how "safe" an area you might live in or choose to walk, you will eventually run into dumb encounters. I've had a few to make me consider a camera like the OP. One thing I always thought tho - what about just strapping your smartphone to your arm with one of those armbands and just recording that way?

Neptune Glory

Post by Neptune Glory » Fri May 01, 2015 7:02 am

Leif3141 wrote:If you walk a dog a lot, no matter how "safe" an area you might live in or choose to walk, you will eventually run into dumb encounters. I've had a few to make me consider a camera like the OP. One thing I always thought tho - what about just strapping your smartphone to your arm with one of those armbands and just recording that way?
I think that would sorta work... my issue with smart phone recording (and even with the chest-worn or belt-worn cameras) has to do with legal crap: the judge / jury / et al are asked to put themselves in one's shoes. If they had seen / heard what the person on trial had seen / heard, would a reasonable person have reacted in the same way, i.e. lethal force justified or non-justified.

The head-mounted camera always looks where one's eyes are looking, to give that information 100% accurately (unless it gets knocked off in a scuffle or something, which would probably be further justification for a lethal force response). A chest mounted or arm mounted camera isn't going to stay in alignment with what the person in question is looking at, creating a discrepency that could raise questions later.

That's my thoughts, anyway.
-Neptune

Neptune Glory

Post by Neptune Glory » Sat May 02, 2015 12:42 pm

Somebody on the forum (you know who you are, thank you!!!) pointed me at this innovative device:

http://www.deluxecctv.com/catalog/hidde ... aQodMVMABQ

It looks exactly like a little bluetooth headseat, but it's actually a 1080 pixel covert camera. It can take up to a 32 gigabyte mini-SD card for recording. I wrote the company to make sure it also records audio, waiting to hear back.

It would cost much less than the one I posted above. Lighter, too, and easier to tuck into a shirt pocket when not in use.

Hopefully this is the one!
-Neptune

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Sun May 03, 2015 2:12 am

I always thought it was silly to have a dash camera...
Then I got into a car accident where the guy in front of me lacks brake lights and slams on his brakes, after I hit them and get rear ended as well, they take off and I failed to memorize their license plate numbers while they sped off.
I know see how useful they can be.
I can come up with quite a few situations where this would protect yourself, if I had the money, I'd jump on it.

Return to “Other Gear”