Finnish Gas Mask question

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BrightShiningLIe

Finnish Gas Mask question

Post by BrightShiningLIe » Sat May 03, 2014 10:38 pm

I just purchased a Finnish gas mask. Now I know this isn't the best mask but I wanted to get something that I could afford now for practice purposes and some protection from tear gas or pepper spray. I live near a concert hall and things could get complicated. Also smoke and some localized, minor chemical spill could cause problems.
Now with that out of the way I also want to emphasis I don't have prior military experience so I can't fall back on that.
I put the mask on, tightened it up breathed in and the mask tightened against my face. I then breathed out. Everything all right on that front. Then I tried to breath in and no joy. I tried several times and wasn't able to bring in air. Finally I breathed out very hard and breathed in with force. I was then able to bring in some air. The only way I can breath is by breathing in hard enough to cause the mask to tighten up and collapse onto my face. Do gas masks normally require so much force to breath, am I doing something wrong? Any answers would be very helpful.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Finnish Gas Mask question

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat May 03, 2014 10:39 pm

Stupid question, you do have a filter on it, right?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

BrightShiningLIe

Post by BrightShiningLIe » Sat May 03, 2014 10:59 pm

I tried both with and without the filter. It would seem these masks have one way valves but I don't know if they are the issue or not.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat May 03, 2014 11:03 pm

If it's serviceable, it should only work with a filter on it. It will be a little difficult to use, but not as hard as you're making it sound. It should have a good solid seal though. Could just be a bad mask or filter.

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Sat May 03, 2014 11:08 pm

I like the Finnish model because the left side filter allows you to easily sight a rifle while wearing it :clap:
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

BrightShiningLIe

Post by BrightShiningLIe » Sat May 03, 2014 11:11 pm

Let me try again because I'm not sure I'm being wholly clear. I mean no offense but I know so little about gas masks its actually kind of difficult to describe the situation.
When I breath in I have to breath in strong enough the the cheeks of the gas mask get pulled in. It takes that much force to pull in a good breath. Yes I can do it without the filter in. Why would the filter be needed since it's more or less a hole in the mask to let air in through the filter mount?
By the way thanks a lot for your prompt responses I didn't expect such quick feedback.

BrightShiningLIe

Post by BrightShiningLIe » Sat May 03, 2014 11:12 pm

itzybitzyspyder wrote:I like the Finnish model because the left side filter allows you to easily sight a rifle while wearing it :clap:
Same here though I'm beginning to think I should have spent the extra money on the Israeli military mask.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sat May 03, 2014 11:16 pm

There should be some air flow through the filter.

There's usually a seal at the air intake vent, a plastic plug you're supposed to remove.
With the sealed filter attached, there should be no air coming into the mask at all, which is a good thing.

Did you take the seal off?

That little white plug on the filter.

Is there a date on the filter?
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Sat May 03, 2014 11:23 pm

BrightShiningLIe wrote:
itzybitzyspyder wrote:I like the Finnish model because the left side filter allows you to easily sight a rifle while wearing it :clap:
Same here though I'm beginning to think I should have spent the extra money on the Israeli military mask.
The m15 or the old-ass civy model?
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat May 03, 2014 11:24 pm

BrightShiningLIe wrote:Let me try again because I'm not sure I'm being wholly clear. I mean no offense but I know so little about gas masks its actually kind of difficult to describe the situation.
When I breath in I have to breath in strong enough the the cheeks of the gas mask get pulled in. It takes that much force to pull in a good breath. Yes I can do it without the filter in. Why would the filter be needed since it's more or less a hole in the mask to let air in through the filter mount?
By the way thanks a lot for your prompt responses I didn't expect such quick feedback.
It should prevent flow coming in without a filter to prevent contamination when changing filters. I don't know anything about the Finns, only the M40s, but it does require more effort than breathing without the mask. May I ask which model you have?

It certainly sounds like something's not allowing proper flow, but I'm just an end user. Maybe soemoen with more CBRN experience will step up.

BrightShiningLIe

Post by BrightShiningLIe » Sat May 03, 2014 11:40 pm

[quote="jor-el"]There should be some air flow through the filter.

There's usually a seal at the air intake vent, a plastic plug you're supposed to remove.
With the sealed filter attached, there should be no air coming into the mask at all, which is a good thing.

I took of the plastic plug which - based on later research may have been a bad idea. With the filter attached I could breath at all. Rather disconcerting so I took the plastic plug off.
The filter says SUOD 61 T at the top. Below that is Hilli: KRH ASC 12 X 30.
Immedialtly below the SUOD is stamped 270.
The only other number I see is 85. To me that suggest the filter dates back in 1985. Cold war stocks indeed.
As for the mask itself the only number I see is 1 which is at the top of the forehead. Does that narrow it down at all?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat May 03, 2014 11:42 pm

Shake the filter gently. Is there any noise?

Dasho101
Favorite Zombie Movies: Range 15

Post by Dasho101 » Sat May 03, 2014 11:46 pm

jor-el wrote:There should be some air flow through the filter.

That little white plug on the filter.

Is there a date on the filter?
Plus 1.... I have a fin mask and its given me no issues.
Jeriah wrote:
My Sig functions on Teutonic Gnome Magic, thank you very much.
Remember Nancy Reagan? "JUST SAY NO!"

BrightShiningLIe

Post by BrightShiningLIe » Sat May 03, 2014 11:48 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Shake the filter gently. Is there any noise?
I checked again. No noise at all so no particulates have broken lose. That I had heard about in the past and should have mentioned that. Sorry my bad.

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Thu May 08, 2014 7:36 am

Isn't there a separate outlet for breathing out?

You're gonna have to order replacement filters now, since you broke the seals.

Last I heard, people were ordering the gas mask/bag and pitching the mask, bag was used for misc EDC stuff.

There's youtubes about it.
The kid in one, had no problem with breathing.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

Return to “Other Gear”