does anyone else carry a milti-tool?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Acquisitor
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: does anyone else carry a milti-tool?

Post by Acquisitor » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:35 am

Unorthadox, When you duct-tape the SOG power assist to your chest, is that over or under your second SAPI plate? /sarc

At work, I carry a SOG power plier or a Gerber 600 Basic. The Gerber has the same tools as the GI, but doesn't have the replaceable wire-cutter blades. At home, I'll carry a Gerber GI or the power plier; maybe a Gerber Clutch if I have no room at all.

In a box I have a Palladin 540 telecom tool that a friend added a C4 punch to while he was in Iraq, a Gerber Diesel, and a couple Gerber MPT's that date back to Desert Storm.

Ex-wife got the Leathermans (Leathermen??) in the divorce, but it's only fair; she brought them into the marriage.

ednemo

Post by ednemo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:54 pm

I carry a Leatherman Skeletool CX everyday. I like the size and that I can open the knife one handed. Now I want the new Leatherman OHT. That will probably be my next purchase.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:27 pm

spyderco monkey wrote:Image

I can't say enough good things about the Leatherman Squirt. Even though I have a Surge in my gear bag and my BOB, the Squirt handles 98% of my multitool needs.

It's like the Iphone or the Atom bomb - ludicrously powerful for its size:
http://www.good-kit.com/leatherman-squi ... -on-earth/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I, too, adore my Squirt and keep it on my keychain much the same way spyderco monkey does. I also have and love that same flash drive. I keep a Swiss Army knife on my keychain, also, but haven't used it since I bought the Squirt several years ago. I keep a Wave in my pack and use it on occasion, but I have small hands and it's a bit clunky for me for general use.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri May 09, 2014 9:20 am

And, for all you folks who think these things are a modern invention...

Ancient Roman folding multi-tool device. The tool features a knife, a spoon, a three-tined fork, a spike, a spatula, and a small pick.2nd century AD.
Read more at http://izismile.com/2014/05/09/fascinat ... GoaDDmB.99
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Chirpy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Dead Snow

Post by Chirpy » Fri May 09, 2014 11:08 am

I carry a Leatherman Kick on my briefcase, and I honestly can't remember where or how I got it...Christmas maybe?

"And I prep not because I'm scared of someone coming to take from me, but rather because I fear not being able to render help to those who have helped me. "

phractal - 4/2/13

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri May 09, 2014 12:58 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:And, for all you folks who think these things are a modern invention...

Ancient Roman folding multi-tool device. The tool features a knife, a spoon, a three-tined fork, a spike, a spatula, and a small pick.2nd century AD.
Read more at http://izismile.com/2014/05/09/fascinat ... GoaDDmB.99
Really cool KJ4VOV, thanks for sharing this. I had to do some more research about this after seeing your post. For more pictures and stats about this, follow this link http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/opac/se ... iref=70534

*edit to add, Looks like someone made a reproduction of these. But I haven't found it for sale anywhere, yet.

http://www.mambri.com/CosasArmillum/Cuc ... iusos.html

These ancient predecessors of the Swiss Army Utility knife were composed by one knife blade, one fork which could be unfold into a spoon and several more tools, such as a nail cleaner, an ear cleaner and one punch. They used to be made in silver which makes us suppose that they were used basically by the higher classes. Armillum’s model is made in brass, with copper rivets. The knife blade is made in steel. It is inspired in a model that can be found in the Fitzwilliams Museum in Cambridge. In the different pictures you will see how the different tools can be opened.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Siggy01

Post by Siggy01 » Fri May 09, 2014 6:08 pm

I have several of the larger leathermans, but usually I just edc a folder knife. I have a leatherman squirt ps4 in red on order.
"What do you mean pass the salt!? Just eat me and get it over with!"

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Sat May 10, 2014 5:34 pm

Leatherman Mini Tool is always on my belt so I'm so used to it being there that sometimes I forget that I have it.
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Mon May 12, 2014 5:29 pm

I hate it when I take it off my keyring to use it and then forget to put it back on. I should get another so I always have one on the keyring and one I use.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

prepper7
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD

Post by prepper7 » Mon May 12, 2014 8:48 pm

SAK (SwissChamp) FTW, baby!
Where will YOU Appleseed?
phil_in_cs wrote: Get your rice and beans now, when you don't have to pay for them in blood.
squinty wrote:You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

Badger24
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

Post by Badger24 » Mon May 12, 2014 9:52 pm

Could you change the tittle to Multi-tool?

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon May 12, 2014 10:06 pm

Badger24 wrote:Could you change the tittle to Multi-tool?
That has been something of a mild annoyance since this thread started. Milti-tool, lol.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue May 13, 2014 7:25 am

ineffableone wrote:
That has been something of a mild annoyance since this thread started. Milti-tool, lol.
Would that be a mil-spec multi-tool? :clownshoes:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

JerryOnly
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, ahhh zombies, omega man

Post by JerryOnly » Tue May 13, 2014 9:09 am

Had the squirt and broke it after a year. Tip of the plier broke off. Went with the leather mut (not eod) and use it quite a bit. The pouch and wrench is on my backpack so when I carry it on me without pack I use the carabiner on my belt loop.
HorrorBusiness

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Tue May 13, 2014 12:15 pm

JerryOnly wrote:Had the squirt and broke it after a year. Tip of the plier broke off. Went with the leather mut (not eod) and use it quite a bit. The pouch and wrench is on my backpack so when I carry it on me without pack I use the carabiner on my belt loop.
How did you manage to have the Squirt break? I've put mine through so much crap and still haven't broken it.

Regardless, it has a 25 year warranty. If you weren't specifically abusing it, you should take advantage of that.

∩(=^_^=)

JerryOnly
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, ahhh zombies, omega man

Post by JerryOnly » Tue May 13, 2014 12:42 pm

Anianna wrote:
JerryOnly wrote:Had the squirt and broke it after a year. Tip of the plier broke off. Went with the leather mut (not eod) and use it quite a bit. The pouch and wrench is on my backpack so when I carry it on me without pack I use the carabiner on my belt loop.
How did you manage to have the Squirt break? I've put mine through so much crap and still haven't broken it.

Regardless, it has a 25 year warranty. If you weren't specifically abusing it, you should take advantage of that.
Damn! Wish I knew that at the time.... cant remember what I was doing but was disapointed when it broke.... maybe ill get another then knowing the warranty
HorrorBusiness

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue May 13, 2014 9:45 pm

Anyone have a Leatherman Style PS? And what do you think of it?
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Sun May 18, 2014 10:25 pm

Old Leathermany Wave for many years. I have an Old SOG multi-tool in another pack for even longer.

DK
"I don't wan't to be the ruler of this world... I want to be the ruler of another world."
"Well he should have armed himself...if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."
"...And you can keep that silly fat wanker. The lads can't lift him."

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Mon May 19, 2014 7:23 pm

Murph wrote:Anyone have a Leatherman Style PS? And what do you think of it?
My Squirt is a PS style. That means it has pliers and scissors and I love both. The pliers have been particularly useful for me.

∩(=^_^=)

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Wed May 21, 2014 8:18 am

I have a Letherman Sidekick and I love it. I was thinking about upgrading to the Wave but the lack of spring loaded pliers is keeping me from pulling the trigger. Those of you that have the Wave, are the non spring loaded plies a pain? Would you like it better if they were spring loaded?
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Wed May 21, 2014 10:54 am

74 Or More,
I like my Wave the way it is. I can see how spring loaded pliers could be useful for some but I have no use for that function. I've had mine for at least 7 years and carry it daily and use it all the time. When it wears out, is lost or stolen I'll get another. The SOG tool I have is useful not nearly as much as the Wave.

HTH,
DK
"I don't wan't to be the ruler of this world... I want to be the ruler of another world."
"Well he should have armed himself...if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."
"...And you can keep that silly fat wanker. The lads can't lift him."

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Wed May 21, 2014 12:54 pm

74 or more wrote:I have a Letherman Sidekick and I love it. I was thinking about upgrading to the Wave but the lack of spring loaded pliers is keeping me from pulling the trigger. Those of you that have the Wave, are the non spring loaded plies a pain? Would you like it better if they were spring loaded?
I don't have the Sidekick or Wave. But the issue with spring loaded pliers, really depends on you intended use. Sometimes it is good to have a spring other times better not to. So the question would be is spring loaded pliers a critical part of a multitool for your needs?

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Siggy01

Post by Siggy01 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:53 pm

I'm considering a Leatherman Juice S2 for a birthday gift to me soon. I dig the orange.
"What do you mean pass the salt!? Just eat me and get it over with!"

Jolly Green

Post by Jolly Green » Wed May 21, 2014 5:20 pm

Tittle? TITTLE?

I sincerely hope that was sarcasm
~Jolly Green Survival
"It takes 3 seconds to make a stupid decision"
ZS Paid Member, no thanks to staff failures...
WFR certified
CitizenZ wrote:while they have their legs up, jam a tube up their pooper and administer fluids through that.

Return to “Other Gear”