Wide beam "spotlight"

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Wide beam "spotlight"

Post by Caenus » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:16 pm

Hello folks! I've been looking for a camping spotlight. I'm currently using a 2.25 million candlepower husky, but the battery is dying and I've wanted more of a flood effect than a narrow spotlight. I have powerful tac lights for that. What I'm looking for is a multimillion power spotlight that has a flood function ideally, but 500 or so lumens might do the trick depending on how uniform the light is. Basically I want to see a wide area lit up, not necessarily one spot on the hillside a mile way.

I've looked at a few, but it is very difficult to determine the brightness and width of field by the funny little box pictograms.

I do not have a preference of rechargeable vs replaceable battery and run time just needs to be around 30mins. I camp in areas with lots of coyotes that can get a little brazen and black bears that are not too respectful of campsites. I'd love a 120 degree light throw out to say 50m of good light (not just eye shine) without buying a work light and hooking it up to a generator. I also have a dog that goes camping with me, which is why the wide field is good to be able to keep him lit up while I'm trying to determine what has alarmed him.

Price is relatively open, but I'd prefer to spend less than a couple hundred bucks and preferably less than $100.

I have a dual mantle Coleman lantern for around camp, but I want something more portable and "instant on".
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Wide beam "spotlight"

Post by NT2C » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:54 pm

Just about any of the Chinese zoomable LED flashlights you can find on eBay for a few bucks will do what you want. I have several different ones, everything from single AA powered to 5.3aH 18650 powered and all will throw a pretty wide, bright beam 50m without any problem at all. Run times on the rechargeable 18650 is about 1 hour on high. On the AA powered ones the runtime on high is about 20-30 minutes. My yard is about 45m long and this shows about half that distance lit by one of the 18650 powered lights and zoomed in a bit:

DSCN1808 par KJ4VOV, on ipernity
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:11 am

I used to use a Cyclops spotlight for spotting house numbers from my cab, but now I use a Fenix LD 41 because it's brighter and I can put it in my pocket. Neither light has an adjustable beam, but they do a pretty good job of lighting a wide area while throwing a spot a good long way.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:20 pm

It's a headlamp, but this is the one I use. Adjustable from spotlight to floodlight, and everything in between. Has a very wide beam when zoomed out
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:28 pm

I bought one of each of these at Lowes.

$20
http://www.lowes.com/pd_494831-50584-FT ... facetInfo=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$9
http://www.lowes.com/pd_472907-50387-DF ... facetInfo=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They both will put out a broader and brighter beam than a re-chargable spotlight with a 55 watt quartz h-1 bulb. The spot light will throw the beam a longer distance but not by much. Each of these have as bright and a much more useful beam when looking around my BOL. The size comparison is crazy.

Either of these could be a low cost test bed for you.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:58 pm

Caenus, PM me a mailing address and I'll drop one of these AA units in the mail to you just for shits and giggles. I get 'em for under $4.00 and it's insane the light they put out for such small lights. It might just do the job for you.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

LastBoyScout
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: South Sacramento at night when view from a patrol car.

Post by LastBoyScout » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:38 pm

I got a set of these at Costco for $19.99 before Xmas.

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Durabeam ... hlight+led" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very cool in that they are very wide beamed and can give a great spot as well. Really can not get over the wide beam in these.

For the price hard to beat.

Think they are like the lights mentioned that come out of China with a ajustable beam but they are 500 lumens for real and run on C batteries. I put three "C" Cell to "AA" adapters in one of mine and use Enloop's recargables in it. Great walk the dog light for me and cheap to run.

I have a lot of flashlights (ok Hundreds) and this has been a great find for a wide beam light.

With two for the $20 price with batteries hard to beat.

Just do not like the programing in that you have to go from low to high and then to strobe to turn it off.

LastBoyScout
LastBoyscout

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.

Helen Keller

An unloaded gun is a pourly balanced club.

Lynn C. Thompson to me over dinner.

Return to “Other Gear”