Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by teotwaki » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:21 pm

Langenator wrote:And now some Canadian: http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/produc ... ing-vests/

Doesn't look MOLLE compatible, but does have lots of pockets. Actually, it looks like someone crossed a bird hunting vest with a fishing vest, dyed it green, and force-fed it steroids.

I find the inclusion of pockets/pouches on the backs of the French and Canadian vests interesting. Not sure I agree with it - I don't really understand the utility of pockets/pouches that you have to remove your whole vest to access. Buddy/team gear?
I've experimented with different vests for holding survival gear. In the back pouch I placed larger flat folded items such as a a heavy duty mylar space blanket or a lightweight jacket and gloves. those sorts of things are easy to fish out with vest removal.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:31 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:Wife gave the green light (joint finances, ya know?) to get my GGG Stealth Operator Pack. Was gonna wait for a sale, but I've done my time with my super small EDC bag and next few months are gonna be buckling down and saving, so this will be my last nonessential big spending for a bit.
Any advice on which people I should get it from?
http://www.skdtac.com/Grey-Ghost-Gear-S ... gr.101.htm
SKD price is a little bit cheaper, with $5 shipping.
http://www.greyghostgear.com/product-p/6009.htm
Grey Ghost Gear themselves, main reason is for consideration is I'm wondering if they'll in any extra since it's a +$100 purchase, but I may get murdered in shipping from them.
No experience with them myself, do they typically throw in freebies? If so, how much are those freebies worth? No offence, but $100 in nylon isn't really a big ticket purchase. Paying more upfront, plus more for shipping for a sticker that costs $2 retail, isn't really worth it in my books (since you're already saying you need to save to justify the expenditure). Everyone works within a budget, you're better off saving pennies where you can and invest them in that next piece of kit.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:22 pm

Good points. I don't know if they usually do freebies, that's one of the reasons I'm even asking. True that it's not a huge ticket purchase, especially when we're talking about companies like GGG, but I wondered if it was big enough to justify freebies from them.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sat May 14, 2016 9:12 am

Anyone have experience with a maxpedition sabercat? Thinking about picking one up while they're on clearance for my personal medical emergency kit.
BullOnParade

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Wed May 25, 2016 9:57 am

I just got an AWS light assaulters belt, this thing is amazing. I bought three molle panels for it and got the disco cobra buckle with the d-ring. It looks like it was made for them by TYR. I picked up some of their universal pistol and rifle pouches (similar to hsgi tacos) and like them a lot.

The purchasing experience was entirely no frills; I muddled through picking the belt and parts, then typed in my card number, then it said it was ordered. Never got a confirmation email, never got an email back when I requested confirmation. Figured screw it, it'll show up or it won't.

Belt showed up a few weeks later and absolutely exceeded my expectations. It comes with a stout liner belt to anchor through your belt loops and the belt itself is supremely rigid, and supported two rifle and two pistol mags and a Glock in a Safariland holster comfortably. They could charge twice as much and get away with it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:12 pm

My new Safariland Glock holster in multicam cordura.

"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

ashwednesday

Post by ashwednesday » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:15 pm

AWS light assaulter's belt with Safariland ALS holster for P225.

ashwednesday

Post by ashwednesday » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:19 pm

Safariland ALS holster for Springfield XD in multicam.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:05 pm

BullOnParade wrote:I just wanted to take a minute to share a company I found yesterday at the Toronto Sportsman Show.
On Duty Equipmentis making Blaze Orange and High Vis yellow MOLLE gear, including LBV, medical pouches, ammo pouches, and a few general shape/sized pouches. I bought their ~6x6 med pouch and a butt pack, I'll be fielding them through the summer, and possibly buying a vest in time for hunting season. I will be keeping everyone updated here because I think this product is an awesome innovation in a niche market I think a lot of us can enjoy.

So, the butt pack FINALLY came in. Although I'm still happy with my purchase, I really wish I had time to play with it through the summer though. Probably not going to get the vest this season, since I just don't have enough time invested with the brand to drop that coin.

BullOnParade

Doryman

Post by Doryman » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:03 am

Ordered an HSGI AO Chest Rig and 4 x HSGI mag taco for my second tier gear. Plan on having a battle belt for pistol, pistol mags and FAK, and a chest rig for rifle stuff.

I found it kind of funny seeing the price difference between different patterns of the same kit. The woodland camo tacos were about ten bucks cheaper than the same things in tan or 'wolf grey'. Cool guy tax, I guess.
That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

-George Orwell

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:40 pm

Anyone have an idea for where I could get a belt buckle like the one on the Area Gear Aegis belt?
http://www.aresgear.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=454
Made my own 1.5" single layer scuba webbing belt for EDC. The stiffness is just right for the weight of my pistol, spare mag, and CRKT Minimalist but I wanted to get a better buckle for it, tried the Fidlock magnetic buckle from Strapworks and it comes loose as I grab my spare mag because I carry it appendix, plastic side release buckles can be sqeaky throughout the day.
So I looked at the Aegis buckle because it looks low profile and will work for casual or dress style. I don't like giving up the QD of a buckle, but I like that everything should be more solid. I asked Area Gear and they do not sell just the buckle. I have an email into Strapworks asking if their anodized military buckle will work with scuba webbing. My concern is that standard "military style" buckle might slip under the weight of my stuff, which could be pretty annoying.
Thoughts?

While I'm sure the Area Gear belt is nice, I can't swing the $100 for a belt and I don't need the thickness of a two layer scuba webbing belt. But I did go to them first for the buckle to try to give them some business first.

Edit: This is the buckle from Strapworks
http://www.strapworks.com/product_p/mb-bf.htm

Return to “Other Gear”