Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
Haji
* * * * *
Posts: 3019
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:59 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.
Location: A Fortified Location Near Ft. Campbell KY
Contact:

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by Haji » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:30 am

Stephen is the guy who designs BFG gear. He's in good shape, but he's not a small guy; he's about 6'3", prolly just shy of 200 pounds. I only see him at SHOT anymore, so I'm not really sure what he's at today. At any rate, at my biggest (320 pounds), I was still running one of the rigs he designed, the ATS Low Profile Chest Harness. He still builds a lot of adjustment into his designs. If necessary, modifications to make 'em a little bigger aren't all that hard to do. I made an extender for the waist belt on my Mayflower UW harness, because the guy who owns that company makes 'em military athlete sized. :D

Luckily, I've dropped a fat small child's worth of weight (65+ pounds so far) and I don't need that extender anymore...I just need to get it back from the guy I loaned it to for the purpose of writing an article with it (SWAT Magazine article on chest rigs for carbine classes by Pat Rogers. Look it up; very useful info in there).
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Haji
* * * * *
Posts: 3019
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:59 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.
Location: A Fortified Location Near Ft. Campbell KY
Contact:

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by Haji » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:36 am

We just announced the first of a lot of Wolf Grey gear:
http://soldiersystems.net/2013/09/27/at ... wolf-grey/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The reason the Cobra 2.6 was first was that we did a special color combination that used Wolf at the request of a particular customer. Since we were already doing a sprint run, we decided to go ahead and do another at the same time in Wolf. Eventually everything we've got will be available in Wolf, and the Cobra 2.7 Custom will be available in any combination we have material for, or can get in a reasonable quantity.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Ten Eight
* * * * *
Posts: 1214
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:54 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by Ten Eight » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:11 am

Haji wrote:We just announced the first of a lot of Wolf Grey gear:
http://soldiersystems.net/2013/09/27/at ... wolf-grey/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The reason the Cobra 2.6 was first was that we did a special color combination that used Wolf at the request of a particular customer. Since we were already doing a sprint run, we decided to go ahead and do another at the same time in Wolf. Eventually everything we've got will be available in Wolf, and the Cobra 2.7 Custom will be available in any combination we have material for, or can get in a reasonable quantity.

Ooo. Ooo.

Thanks for the heads up!
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

User avatar
BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 3020
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:10 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:43 am

Haji wrote:Stephen is the guy who designs BFG gear. He's in good shape, but he's not a small guy; he's about 6'3", prolly just shy of 200 pounds. I only see him at SHOT anymore, so I'm not really sure what he's at today. At any rate, at my biggest (320 pounds), I was still running one of the rigs he designed, the ATS Low Profile Chest Harness. He still builds a lot of adjustment into his designs. If necessary, modifications to make 'em a little bigger aren't all that hard to do. I made an extender for the waist belt on my Mayflower UW harness, because the guy who owns that company makes 'em military athlete sized. :D

Luckily, I've dropped a fat small child's worth of weight (65+ pounds so far) and I don't need that extender anymore...I just need to get it back from the guy I loaned it to for the purpose of writing an article with it (SWAT Magazine article on chest rigs for carbine classes by Pat Rogers. Look it up; very useful info in there).
Thanks for the suggestion on the article, I'll definitely look around for it. The next rig I put together is going to be something dedicated to my carbine for classes/SHTF scenarios.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

User avatar
0122358
* * * * *
Posts: 1804
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:07 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland
Location: Purdy...Washington

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by 0122358 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:28 am

So the ATS M4 MCH rig is good to go?

Now i need to look at armor carriers...
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

User avatar
Haji
* * * * *
Posts: 3019
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:59 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.
Location: A Fortified Location Near Ft. Campbell KY
Contact:

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by Haji » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:35 am

Without a doubt it is. But then, I am probably just a wee bit biased. :D

Armor carriers can be a topic all on its own, depending on what exactly you're looking for and what your requirements are. ATS will have a simple, functional design coming to market in the near future (Lord willin' and the river don't rise...again...) and there are more technical carriers available as well. One of the few good things to come from being at war for ten years is that there's been a lot of development in load carrying equipment, to the point where you can find just about anything you can conceive of (that's an at least mostly rational design!) offered by somebody who makes quality gear. The PIG series from our friends (and ATS dealer) SKD Tactical are cool. Mayflower R&C makes a bunch of armor carriers, all exceptionally high quality and innovative, well thought out designs from a guy who's designing from decades of experience in shooting bad guys. their stuff is a very, very good value; it's not inexpensive, it's a lot of bang for that buck. BFG's carrier is good to go as well. Of course, what works best depends on what your needs are.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

romanlove
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:27 am

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by romanlove » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:30 am

Rick Shaw wrote:
Ten Eight wrote:Putting together a Urban/Wolf/Whateverthefuck grey setup based around the BFG Plateminus carrier in grey as that's the only one in grey I can find.

Anyone aware of any other plate carriers that come in grey? I needz moar side sapi, something which the Plateminus does not have provisions for.
bought the MAS Grey gear at discount from LBT site.
Grey is my Fav color and I always wanted gear in grey for that reason.
Since I no longer gunfight for a living I don't much care about the practical camo application of grey
I bought the BFG Molle Minis Plate carrier to have a grey rig to mount the pouches to...just to get this (Numbering system remains the same)

Image

1- LBT MAS Grey (Much Darker than wolf grey and stand out a bit)
2-Blackhawk Foliage Green (A little lighter than Wolf Grey, but doesn't look out of place)
3-Emdom USA SDU Grey (Almost identical to wolf grey/ Note the molle Velcro panel is Foliage and you can't really tell the difference)
4-HSGI Urban Grey (Again, almost identical to wolf grey)
5-Blue Force Gear Wolf Grey

I was disappoint in the contrast and decided to put the LBT Mas Grey on a war belt and ordered Ten Speed rifle and pistols pouches for the plate carrier.

Hey rick,

I love urban grey as well. I was wondering what grey shirt or jacket that is, is it a arc'teryx leaf brand?

thanks

User avatar
Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by Rick Shaw » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:51 am

romanlove wrote:
Rick Shaw wrote:
Ten Eight wrote:Putting together a Urban/Wolf/Whateverthefuck grey setup based around the BFG Plateminus carrier in grey as that's the only one in grey I can find.

Anyone aware of any other plate carriers that come in grey? I needz moar side sapi, something which the Plateminus does not have provisions for.
bought the MAS Grey gear at discount from LBT site.
Grey is my Fav color and I always wanted gear in grey for that reason.
Since I no longer gunfight for a living I don't much care about the practical camo application of grey
I bought the BFG Molle Minis Plate carrier to have a grey rig to mount the pouches to...just to get this (Numbering system remains the same)

Image

1- LBT MAS Grey (Much Darker than wolf grey and stand out a bit)
2-Blackhawk Foliage Green (A little lighter than Wolf Grey, but doesn't look out of place)
3-Emdom USA SDU Grey (Almost identical to wolf grey/ Note the molle Velcro panel is Foliage and you can't really tell the difference)
4-HSGI Urban Grey (Again, almost identical to wolf grey)
5-Blue Force Gear Wolf Grey

I was disappoint in the contrast and decided to put the LBT Mas Grey on a war belt and ordered Ten Speed rifle and pistols pouches for the plate carrier.

Hey rick,

I love urban grey as well. I was wondering what grey shirt or jacket that is, is it a arc'teryx leaf brand?

thanks
I cant afford (or at least cant justify the cost of ) Arc'teryx leaf or anything too tactical in grey.
That jacket is a pull over Anorak I found on ebay (Link below).
It was 50 bucks with shipping and handling coming from London
Also, need to wait almost 3 weeks....but it beats paying hundreds of dollars for a jacket.
Hope this helps!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-LATEST-ST ... 2309451a6b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

romanlove
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:27 am

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by romanlove » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:12 am

I cant afford (or at least cant justify the cost of ) Arc'teryx leaf or anything too tactical in grey.
That jacket is a pull over Anorak I found on ebay (Link below).
It was 50 bucks with shipping and handling coming from London
Also, need to wait almost 3 weeks....but it beats paying hundreds of dollars for a jacket.
Hope this helps!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-LATEST-ST ... 2309451a6b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]


Yea, Arc'teryx is a rip off, but a military discount helps a little bit. Thanks for the info!!

User avatar
Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by Rick Shaw » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:44 am

romanlove wrote:I cant afford (or at least cant justify the cost of ) Arc'teryx leaf or anything too tactical in grey.
That jacket is a pull over Anorak I found on ebay (Link below).
It was 50 bucks with shipping and handling coming from London
Also, need to wait almost 3 weeks....but it beats paying hundreds of dollars for a jacket.
Hope this helps!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-LATEST-ST ... 2309451a6b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


I was in San Francisco a few years ago and took a trip into triple aught design show room.
I never understood why one would pay a few hundred bucks for one of their jackets until I got to see them in person.

I would buy triple aught design coat in U.E grey in a new York minute...if I didn't need to explain the purchase to my better half

User avatar
Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by Rick Shaw » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:53 am

Haji wrote:Without a doubt it is. But then, I am probably just a wee bit biased. :D

Armor carriers can be a topic all on its own, depending on what exactly you're looking for and what your requirements are. ATS will have a simple, functional design coming to market in the near future (Lord willin' and the river don't rise...again...) and there are more technical carriers available as well. One of the few good things to come from being at war for ten years is that there's been a lot of development in load carrying equipment, to the point where you can find just about anything you can conceive of (that's an at least mostly rational design!) offered by somebody who makes quality gear. The PIG series from our friends (and ATS dealer) SKD Tactical are cool. Mayflower R&C makes a bunch of armor carriers, all exceptionally high quality and innovative, well thought out designs from a guy who's designing from decades of experience in shooting bad guys. their stuff is a very, very good value; it's not inexpensive, it's a lot of bang for that buck. BFG's carrier is good to go as well. Of course, what works best depends on what your needs are.
When is grey m4 chest rig going to be available for purchase?!
Christmas is coming

romanlove
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:27 am

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by romanlove » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:18 pm

When is grey m4 chest rig going to be available for purchase?!
Christmas is coming[/quote]

Need to know that as well

romanlove
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:27 am

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by romanlove » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:23 pm

I have some TAD stuff, but I prefer arcteryk Urban wolf grey color.
Last edited by romanlove on Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Haji
* * * * *
Posts: 3019
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:59 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.
Location: A Fortified Location Near Ft. Campbell KY
Contact:

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by Haji » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:23 pm

More info on that after staff meeting this week. Once I'm cleared hot, I'll be adding that to the color matrix of nearly everything we make.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Dahrkstorm
*
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:23 am
Location: Cajun Country Louisiana

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by Dahrkstorm » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:57 pm

Any suggestions for a big and tall guy (minus the tall, lol) looking for a molle vest. Depending on the cut I usually wear 2x occasionally 3x. I want a full vest and not just a chest harness setup and I am hoping to stay below $75. Color isn't a big concern but I'd prefer black to go with the duty gear I currently own. I don't need one with pouches already on since I have several already and I don't need AR mag pouches.
I am me. Semper Fi

User avatar
Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by Rick Shaw » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:58 pm

Haji wrote:More info on that after staff meeting this week. Once I'm cleared hot, I'll be adding that to the color matrix of nearly everything we make.
as soon as its approved put a notice on this thread and you will have about a dozen instant orders

User avatar
Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by Rick Shaw » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:08 pm

Dahrkstorm wrote:Any suggestions for a big and tall guy (minus the tall, lol) looking for a molle vest. Depending on the cut I usually wear 2x occasionally 3x. I want a full vest and not just a chest harness setup and I am hoping to stay below $75. Color isn't a big concern but I'd prefer black to go with the duty gear I currently own. I don't need one with pouches already on since I have several already and I don't need AR mag pouches.
what are you going to use it for?
75 bucks isn't going to get you anything hard use.

User avatar
Dahrkstorm
*
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:23 am
Location: Cajun Country Louisiana

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by Dahrkstorm » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:15 pm

what are you going to use it for?
75 bucks isn't going to get you anything hard use.
It shouldn't be seeing any hard use. Mostly range and home use. Later on after I have all the kinks worked out and hopefully some weight lost I'll shell out for a better vest.
I am me. Semper Fi

User avatar
Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by Rick Shaw » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:15 pm

Dahrkstorm wrote:
what are you going to use it for?
75 bucks isn't going to get you anything hard use.
It shouldn't be seeing any hard use. Mostly range and home use. Later on after I have all the kinks worked out and hopefully some weight lost I'll shell out for a better vest.
condor or voodoo tactical will be your best bet right now.
they are air soft gear but if you plan on upgrading later they should be ok for now.

I wouldn't stake my life on either one of these but light use and training they should be ok

User avatar
Dahrkstorm
*
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:23 am
Location: Cajun Country Louisiana

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by Dahrkstorm » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:59 pm

Another quick question. I found out I have a 10% discount on 5.11 gear so I was thinking maybe I could go higher price initially rather than later. Anyone have thoughts on this vest? http://www.511tactical.com/vtac-lbe-tactical-vest.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am me. Semper Fi

User avatar
Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by Rick Shaw » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:28 pm

Dahrkstorm wrote:Another quick question. I found out I have a 10% discount on 5.11 gear so I was thinking maybe I could go higher price initially rather than later. Anyone have thoughts on this vest? http://www.511tactical.com/vtac-lbe-tactical-vest.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
would you want to upgrade to armor at some point?
is a vest all you would want?

User avatar
Dahrkstorm
*
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:23 am
Location: Cajun Country Louisiana

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by Dahrkstorm » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:38 pm

I have dedicated vests right now. I even have IIIA panel in my riding jacket, more for accidents than gunfire though. I admit my current vest doesn't have molle, but I think they will suffice for now.
I am me. Semper Fi

User avatar
Haji
* * * * *
Posts: 3019
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:59 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.
Location: A Fortified Location Near Ft. Campbell KY
Contact:

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by Haji » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:30 pm

There's a reason the assault vest has been gone for about the last ten years: they're damned hot, and they don't breathe. The upside is that it holds stuff relatively close to you, but the downsides are significant: besides the heat, they're heavy, and can't carry what you need any better than a much lighter and slimmer chest rig can. Additionally, the 5.11 build quality is only adequate on the best of days. Its pretty lightly-built stuff. I'm kinda surprised that K. Lamb put his name to it.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Dahrkstorm
*
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:23 am
Location: Cajun Country Louisiana

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by Dahrkstorm » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:35 am

Haji wrote:There's a reason the assault vest has been gone for about the last ten years: they're damned hot, and they don't breathe. The upside is that it holds stuff relatively close to you, but the downsides are significant: besides the heat, they're heavy, and can't carry what you need any better than a much lighter and slimmer chest rig can. Additionally, the 5.11 build quality is only adequate on the best of days. Its pretty lightly-built stuff. I'm kinda surprised that K. Lamb put his name to it.
What would you suggest then? I can be flexible with a chest rig I suppose. It has been a long time since I've worn one (didn't have molle if that is a clue). Zippers or buckles don't bother me, but it can't fasten in the back like some I've seen.
I am me. Semper Fi

Post Reply

Return to “Other Gear”