Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by AKFTW » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:18 am

Calling all gearwhores, this is the place to talk about your kit! Packs, chest rigs, holsters, helmets, etc. Direct questions and discussion here.

Let's start with favorite gear colors? Ranger Green is mine.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Re: Tactical Nylon/Gear Chat

Post by Skull_Hide » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:50 am

Anyone recommend a particular brand/ model drag bag for serious, heavy use? I own some Eagle industry gear and I find their gear build super tough, just wondering some other options for the best price. The more space the better.

Foliage green is my favorite, but I do like multicam too.
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:15 am

Oh damn. I'm home. Over my short (but dignified?) military career, I developed a serious love for all things MOLLE. I've run issue gear, SOTech, ATS, shit from the PX, Spec Ops, Blackhawk!! Eagle and some Condor.

I have to say it looks like I'm victim to tactical trends. I have mostly coyote brown gear, but try to get Multicam and ATACS now days. They are the best for my home environment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

DarkGhost
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DarkGhost » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:52 am

Skull_Hide wrote:Anyone recommend a particular brand/ model drag bag for serious, heavy use? I own some Eagle industry gear and I find their gear build super tough, just wondering some other options for the best price. The more space the better.

Foliage green is my favorite, but I do like multicam too.
Tac-Ops is what you seek, best drag bag on the market!
Vita brevis, Gloria aeterna

DarkGhost's Go Bag

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:33 am

I have gear in black (vest and range bag), coyote (vest, plans for a chest rig to be built around my next rifle) and OD (battle belt, built around my shotgun). I think I have more 5.11 pouches than anything else, a few maxpedition, a few more cheap Chinese crap. I just picked up a couple of tasmanian tiger mag pouches on the weekend, I'm looking forward to testing them out. All depends on what the pouch/assembly is meant to do when I choose the price/quality point on my purchase (a pouch that I'm mounting inside of my range bag doesn't need to be top teir, as it won't see the wear of my belt/chest rig).
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:51 am

Putting together a Urban/Wolf/Whateverthefuck grey setup based around the BFG Plateminus carrier in grey as that's the only one in grey I can find.

Anyone aware of any other plate carriers that come in grey? I needz moar side sapi, something which the Plateminus does not have provisions for.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:59 am

Ten Eight wrote:Putting together a Urban/Wolf/Whateverthefuck grey setup based around the BFG Plateminus carrier in grey as that's the only one in grey I can find.

Anyone aware of any other plate carriers that come in grey? I needz moar side sapi, something which the Plateminus does not have provisions for.
There's always Mass Grey 6094s from LBT

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:40 am

Just to throw out there, since I'm not a real tactical gear guru. I HAD a one of those 5.11 tactical taclite pro vest....I would give it a big NO. Running around with just 3 loaded AR mags the whole thing flopped around worse that a woman who had 44 double D's back in her hey day, but was skinny 80 year old now and running a marathon. I got a proper nylon chest rig and mag pouches and everything is cool now.

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:19 pm

AKFTW wrote:
Ten Eight wrote:Putting together a Urban/Wolf/Whateverthefuck grey setup based around the BFG Plateminus carrier in grey as that's the only one in grey I can find.

There's always Mass Grey 6094s from LBT
Thanks. I just discovered them today.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:20 pm

What items are you guys carrying in your admin pouches?

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:44 pm

I don't have one on my chest rig. When I was in Afghanistan, I had a Rite in the Rain notebook, pen, pencil, some chem lights, 9 line medevac card, and a medical cheater card with some doses and the like.

Here in the real world, Im trying to keep my fighting gear to a capable minimum. I don't have to wear an IOTV or even a plate carrier, so I'm sticking to a smaller more minimalist setup, which gives me less MOLLE space for stuff like admin pouches.

AKFTW

Post by AKFTW » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:54 pm

Ten Eight wrote:What items are you guys carrying in your admin pouches?
Snacks :lol: And batteries, Leatherman Wave, a sharpie, and occasionally a rite-in-the-rain notebook. But yeah, mostly stuff like Energy Gu and Airheads for a quick sugar boost if I am crashing.

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:13 pm

Currently a big OD/ranger gear fan at the moment. I own a ranger green TAG gladiator chest rig and am also building an OD HSGI battle belt. Saving up for a blade-tech holster for my glock and tlr1. Will be giving my wife the black rush 12 pack once I buy an OD rush 24 to replace it with.

Both the rig and the belt are rather Spartan looking at the moment since college is taking priority of my cash money.

HuntingBow96

Post by HuntingBow96 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:15 pm

Supporting the WW2 fasion, OD-3! :D

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:47 pm

I used to make a lot, and I mean a whole lot, of fun of Multicam. Now, just about everything I've got is MC, with a small amount of coyote brown still being used. Oddly, and I know this will be hard to believe, the stuff I actually use is all ATS.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:59 pm

bought the MAS Grey gear at discount from LBT site.
Grey is my Fav color and I always wanted gear in grey for that reason.
Since I no longer gunfight for a living I don't much care about the practical camo application of grey
I bought the BFG Molle Minis Plate carrier to have a grey rig to mount the pouches to...just to get this (Numbering system remains the same)

1- LBT MAS Grey (Much Darker than wolf grey and stand out a bit)
2-Blackhawk Foliage Green (A little lighter than Wolf Grey, but doesn't look out of place)
3-Emdom USA SDU Grey (Almost identical to wolf grey/ Note the molle Velcro panel is Foliage and you can't really tell the difference)
4-HSGI Urban Grey (Again, almost identical to wolf grey)
5-Blue Force Gear Wolf Grey

I was disappoint in the contrast and decided to put the LBT Mas Grey on a war belt and ordered Ten Speed rifle and pistols pouches for the plate carrier.

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:29 pm

Oooo. Thanks for that picture! I was trying to imagine how the real estate of the Plate Minus would look loaded up. I'm going to run 10 speed double rifle pouches and a double pistol mag. I'll be using that HSGI Bleeder Pouch for medical and an EMDOM small horizontal pouch for admin stuff.

Did you try a hydration setup with that rig? Maybe some moar side and rear pics of that grey setup? :awesome:
Last edited by Ten Eight on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:32 pm

I would be interested in how well those Molle Minus and other similar chest rigs by BFG hold up. Their Trauma Kit Now is backed in either the same or a similar material, and both of the ones I have owned tear at the stitching pretty bad.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:26 am

Ten Eight wrote:Oooo. Thanks for that picture! I was trying to imagine how the real estate of the Plate Minus would look loaded up. I'm going to run 10 speed double rifle pouches and a double pistol mag. I'll be using that HSGI Bleeder Pouch for medical and an EMDOM small horizontal pouch for admin stuff.

Did you try a hydration setup with that rig? Maybe some moar side and rear pics of that grey setup? :awesome:
If I get time next week I had planned on doing a full review. But, real quick the molle minus is not really designed for a full load out. The load out I had posted before in the pictured is one HSGI Ifak, a LBT 2x3 mag pouch (6 total ar mags) and a double pistol mag pouch. That basic load out was very awkward and felt out of balance on this plate carrier.
This is the only other pic I currently have of the Molle minus.
Real estate is 6 rows of molle across at the bottom and about 4 rows at the top. At the base of the straps the molle channels become diagonal for some reason. You can squeeze 6 rows at the top, but it is a pain.
The molle minus is designed for a couple ten speed pouches and that’s it. Its made so you can have armor and a couple mags in an emergency situation or limited operations. It can structurally handle the heavier load out, but it just doesn’t fell right.
Again, I think the most you can hope out of the Molle Minus is three rifle mags and two pistol in front and maybe (big maybe) a hydration carrier on the back. Nothing on the sides.
Plus side of the limit size is you can use with your everyday carry holster or a war belt. The molle minus rides high enough that it won’t interfere with any gear you have around the waist.
I decided to go with a war belt for my extra Grey gear to act as a sustainment to the molle minus.
Of course, full pictures and post will be up once everything is completed.

Numbering system for gear below
1- LBT MAS Grey (Much Darker than wolf grey and stand out a bit)
2-Blackhawk Foliage Green (A little lighter than Wolf Grey, but doesn't look out of place)
3-Emdom USA SDU Grey (Almost identical to wolf grey/ Note the molle Velcro panel is Foliage and you can't really tell the difference)
4-HSGI Urban Grey (Again, almost identical to wolf grey)
5-Blue Force Gear Wolf Grey

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:32 am

Redeyes wrote:I would be interested in how well those Molle Minus and other similar chest rigs by BFG hold up. Their Trauma Kit Now is backed in either the same or a similar material, and both of the ones I have owned tear at the stitching pretty bad.
When I first got my Molle Minus, I tugged and pulled at the material to try and get it to rip.
No luck. The material is thin, light weight, but tuff as nails.

The Blue Force Gear Molle Minus product line is good to go in the durability area.
Not so much in the utility or full load arena.
As posted before, the molle minus product line is designed with specific purpose in mind; limited ops and emergency response.
If you buy the minus product line with the hopes you can shoe horn it into a full load out platform....you will be disappointed.

That being said, I love my molle minus and planned to have it for a very long time.

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:05 am

Thank you very much for posting all that info. I was going to pull the trigger on the PlateMinus tonight. However, I think I'll be looking at the London Bridge grey carrier again, as I was going more for a full load out. I was hoping to save some weight with the Molleminus. I'll still look forward to your review, as I still would like a light weight minimalistic carrier.

Edit: Bah. Between these pics and Youtube, the LBT grey looks way too green. I was hoping for more of the Wolf grey (lighter) color.

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:34 am

Ten Eight, is there a reason the color is so important? LEO gig?

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:50 am

Ten Eight wrote:Thank you very much for posting all that info. I was going to pull the trigger on the PlateMinus tonight. However, I think I'll be looking at the London Bridge grey carrier again, as I was going more for a full load out. I was hoping to save some weight with the Molleminus. I'll still look forward to your review, as I still would like a light weight minimalistic carrier.

Edit: Bah. Between these pics and Youtube, the LBT grey looks way too green. I was hoping for more of the Wolf grey (lighter) color.
I would keep an eye on HSGI.
Right now the only rig they offer in there Urban Grey is a Small Chest Rig ( 3 rows of molle and 8 columns).
But, if interest and demand for Grey gear increases I can see them doing larger rigs in the color.

Might try to contact them and get one of their regular product lines made in urban grey.

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:15 am

Here's the thing about Wolf/Urban Grey as a color. Its not anywhere near as common as even black is, so it is exceedingly difficult to get smaller amounts of fabric (you can make a metric buttload of stuff out of a 50 yard roll of Cordura; even something complicated like an assault pack will use a yard or two), and because smaller amounts cost more, getting it at a competitive price. We ended up being able to "group buy" at the manufacturing level, but our commitment is such that we're going to have to be doing Woof for our entire product line. Good thing we've got some specific customers asking us to do it, because their money is still fairly flexible and they need some custom, special project stuff done that makes it a worthwhile undertaking.

We're expecting the first of it to show up within a few weeks. As to when we'll do stocking runs with it, that's hard to say. It totally depends on the production schedule, and since we have dealers and do OEM work, as well as contract custom work, our branded stuff goes to the back of the line simply because we don't have enough time to make it and do everything else, too.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Other Gear”