DeWalt Sidestrike Chisel as camping knife/tool?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

gun toting monkeyboy

DeWalt Sidestrike Chisel as camping knife/tool?

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:49 pm

Here is what I am asking about:

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/hand-tools- ... 16065.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I picked one up at Home Depot because it looked interesting. It has a chisel tip, but it also has a sharpened blade running down the one side as well. It is freakin' razor sharp, and has a few serrations at the bottom of the blade on the side to cut rope/cordage. And the blade is literally designed to be hammered from the side, so you can baton the heck out of it without worrying. Has anybody else tried this yet? Any opinions from the peanut gallery? I need to come up with a sheath for it. And I may also look at having the tip reground to a more tanto (less square) profile. It certainly looks rugged enough. Let me know what you guys think.

-Mb

phalanx

Re: DeWalt Sidestrike Chisel as camping knife/tool?

Post by phalanx » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:27 pm

It looks... interesting.

I'm not a fan of the design; it seems like it would be too easy to slice the shit out of my hand. As a general rule I don't like multiple sharp edges on knives or tools. What is the asking price at Home Depot?
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

EODLRD
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead. Zombies of mass destruction.

Post by EODLRD » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:37 am

If you want a knife, get a knife. If you want a chisel, get a chisel.

Most things can do one thing great or do a few things shitty. Take your pick.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:04 am

Kinda cool... but the pic looks like it's for a lefty... am I not seeing it correctly?

edit: just realized, it might be for a righty to swing a hammer with his right hand/hold chisel with left??? If so, it might make it less useful for regular cutting jobs....

Dutch253
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, I am Legend (does this count?), The Walking Dead(?)

Post by Dutch253 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:11 am

It does look interesting but personally I'd just go with my trusty Becker BK2, freaking thing is a crowbar with an edge.
"But Lord, during the hardest trials of my life, why was there only one set of footprints?"
"Because," said the Lord, "Sandpeople always ride single-file, to hide their numbers."

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:30 am

Damn I wish I can remember who wrote it and where the thread is , but someone on ZS who lived in the metro Los Angeles area wrote about having a putty knife in GHB because it was the only thing he could think that he could legally carry around. That chisel would be a good thing to stick in a GHB or trunk of a car if you worry about the legality of having something that could be considered a weapon.

As a knife/camp tool, I guess its OK. it would make a sad knife for delicate work, but it would be better and splitting/batoning wood than a sharp knife that was good for delicate work.

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:11 am

I think it was under $15. And when I was poking around online looking for a picture/link, I found it for under $10. I played with it for a while last night. It is really, really sharp, but not quite as razor sharp as I thought. I couldn't quite shave hairs off my arm with it. And now that you guys mention it, the grind is such that it is, in deed, meant to be used with the left hand. Damn. It is still a useful tool, and you can baton the hell out of it. But I don't see it replacing anything in my emergency kit at this point. It makes a good, solid pry bar, and it does the aforementioned batoning well. It's weight, large size and grind being on the wrong side limit it's utility. Dang. On the other hand, it does give me an idea on what to take to a custom knife maker one of these days. A shorter version with a more useful tip, and a grind for use in the right hand might make a better tool. I'll probably end up making a sheath for it and tossing it in my CERT bag in the trunk of my car.

-Mb

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:20 am

I could probably make you a knife with a similar grind, in righty. Let me know anytime.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:26 am

Having a knife dedicated to one hand is setting yourself up for failure if you ever injure that hand/arm and need your knife.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

DarkandShiny
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'm pretty pedestrian:
Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead etc.

Post by DarkandShiny » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:07 pm

Try it out and see how you like it. You'll never know for sure unless you do. I'm always a sucker for buying tools so if I see it at HD I'll probably buy it.

It does however remind me of a certain semi famous fail. Somebody was trying to combine too many functions into one tool. When all the compromises are made, you end up with hilarity.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:19 pm

I'm looking at it from the what it can't do perspective. It 's designed as a small demo tool, and having done some home demo before I can see how it could be used. Would've been quite handy for some applications.

In a camp tool what I look for is ability to do light cutting tasks but be ready for some medium to heavy tasks when pressed:

light - cutting cord, cutting cooked food, poking holes in materials, basic whittling, cutting <finger-sized wood/stems, dressing out a fish, shaving bark off small wood, etc.
medium - dressing out an opossum, cutting rope, taking bark planks off fallen cedar, batoning small (wrist-thick) wood, etc.
heavy - clearing brush, batoning thicker than wrist but not thicker than blade length (though I do that stupid stuff all the time).

The main limitation I see with the DeWalt tool is dressing any game. At least I, need a razor sharp knife to open a trout.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:07 pm

Back when I was an amateur carpenter I used a chisel a good deal, and I am slightly intrigued with the bushcraft aspects it could bring to the table. I wouldn't want to use it as a knife, but I could definitely see the appeal for two handed stock removal for projects in the bush.

Also, if you are looking into a chunk of beater steel for whatever demo and batoning work, I'd suggest checking out countycomms breacher bar.

http://www.countycomm.com/eodrtool.html

Caution. People have been known to spend loads of money on this site.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:10 pm

The guys who make the Woodsman Pal , made a similar knife/chisel tool. I seems to be a better tool for batoning wood. Probably safer too.

I might have to check out that Dewalt chisel

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:49 am

Mikeyboy wrote:The guys who make the Woodsman Pal , made a similar knife/chisel tool. I seems to be a better tool for batoning wood. Probably safer too.

I might have to check out that Dewalt chisel

It looks like it has the same grind pattern as the DeWalt. I may have to experiment more with it.

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:34 am

I can't believe I didn't make the connection between the Dewalt and the EOD breached bar, I own one! I was looking at the pic and thought, "gee, that sure is familiar, oh well I guess I'll stop thinking now and go back to stomping on kittens."

Or, you know, whatever else I may have been doing at the time... Anywho, check out the breacher bar. Slap an edge on it and you have a pretty badass baton/crowbar.
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:47 am

My problem with chisel ground knives, for batoning or chopping, is that the line of force and the cutting edge never line up, and you end up with a curving cut. You also can only chop at something from one angle.
When I was doing knife making I experimented with them, and never could stand it.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:34 am

jamoni wrote:My problem with chisel ground knives, for batoning or chopping, is that the line of force and the cutting edge never line up, and you end up with a curving cut. You also can only chop at something from one angle.
When I was doing knife making I experimented with them, and never could stand it.
Absolutely true. I totally forgot about that experience I had myself with a chisel ground blade.

When I worked at a fab shop I thought I could pull a blade from an old and broke shear and make some kind of "shop" knife from it. It just didn't work that well for what I intended (blade geometry and my own knife making skills where the issue).
President ZSC011

movingchicane
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by movingchicane » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:55 am

jamoni wrote:My problem with chisel ground knives, for batoning or chopping, is that the line of force and the cutting edge never line up, and you end up with a curving cut. You also can only chop at something from one angle.
Respectfully disagree, There is a reason chisels have a chisel grind, and it is not so they cut a curve. I always find it funny when I let someone borrow my Emerson and they whine about how "the knife" won't cut straight. It's a love/hate pepsi/coke debate personally I love them.

The knife edge is ground RH on the Dewalt. That's not to say it would be worthless in the left hand it would just be more difficult to make a precision straight line cut.

Overall I see a lot of potential in the design, but the execution is a little bit lacking. Something like this would be great for making shelters, traps, snares, and general bush woodcraft. I really dislike the serrated portion, and would probably not buy it for that reason alone.
I also have my doubts about the
Dewalt wrote:Hardened, tempered carbon chrome steel blade for edge retention
It would be nice if they listed an actual grade of steel.

The yellow accents would make it fairly easy to find if dropped in the field however.
The cake is a lie

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:37 pm

movingchicane wrote: The yellow accents would make it fairly easy to find if dropped in the field however.
The older I get and the more time I spend out in the woods and doing work and even doing some disaster responder/volunteer training and in real life stuff... the more I like to be able to find the crap I drop on the ground.
President ZSC011

Arsenul
Favorite Zombie Movies: meh

Post by Arsenul » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:50 pm

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... 1222,54871" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There might be a free shipping add, but just click the continue button.
Tell me I can't do it and watch as I prove you wrong.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:27 pm

movingchicane wrote:
Respectfully disagree, There is a reason chisels have a chisel grind, and it is not so they cut a curve. I always find it funny when I let someone borrow my Emerson and they whine about how "the knife" won't cut straight. It's a love/hate pepsi/coke debate personally I love them.

The knife edge is ground RH on the Dewalt. That's not to say it would be worthless in the left hand it would just be more difficult to make a precision straight line cut.

Overall I see a lot of potential in the design, but the execution is a little bit lacking. Something like this would be great for making shelters, traps, snares, and general bush woodcraft. I really dislike the serrated portion, and would probably not buy it for that reason alone.
I also have my doubts about the
Dewalt wrote:Hardened, tempered carbon chrome steel blade for edge retention
It would be nice if they listed an actual grade of steel.

The yellow accents would make it fairly easy to find if dropped in the field however.
+1 I think if you use it as a chisel, axehead or wedge it would be more effective in splitting wood vs. trying to baton with it lengthwise. I was also annoyed by the serrations.

Return to “Other Gear”