Ask a Fat Guy (about gear)

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mattdcknsn

Re: Ask a Fat Guy (about gear)

Post by mattdcknsn » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:55 pm

Just one more great thread. I am 6'4" 250 - 260. I have long legs a barrel chest and bad feet. From what I've read on this thread so far here is my 2 cents.

Shoes - Zappos.com is the only place I can find shoes or boots. I wear 14 6E shoes and they are the only place I can find shoes. They have free shipping to and from in case you need to return it.

Hammock - I have found the Warbonnet hammock to fit me very well, http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/index.php. I have the traveler hammock and slept in it with no problems.

Underwear - I have found the Exofficio boxer briefs to be the best I've found. I have found they are the best bang for the buck.

Backpack - Honestly for me and my barrel chest the Molle pack (the framed USGI model) is the most comfortable I have found. I've tried some others but this one I always go back too.

Pants - I order from Lands end for my pants. they offer custom lengths for all their waist sizes. For BDUs and cargo pants I usually go with extra large - long BDUs.

The only other thing I can think of is if your feet hurt go see a podiatrist!!!!!! I have custom orthotics and they have saved my life numerous times. I always thought my foot pain was "normal" but when I could barely put weight on my feet I learned too late. GO SEE A PODIATRIST!!!!
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:12 pm

My current favorite pants for fit are Woolrich Elite, but mine are a couple sizes too large because I've lost a small child's worth of weight. I like the cut better than 5.11's, which I think were designed to look good in court, but not be roomy for field use. I've found that both Woolrich and 5.11 shirts fit pretty well for me, but they're fitting better now that I'm smaller around. I've been running ThorLo socks for about six or seven years, and they've been great on wear. I've got some Lorpen Trekking socks that I find more comfortable, but aren't as durable. I just got a pair about six months ago from Fits, and they seem to be holding up very, very well; additionally, they are the only socks that I have that will stay up all day long.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thrillbilly

Post by thrillbilly » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:01 am

I love this thread...

I havent read all of it yet but Im going to, nice to get input about gear that actually helps me!

I'm 6'6'' barefoot and in the neighborhood of 340 pounds.

It is a challenge sometimes to find gear that will work for someone who is....fat. :)
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

moab

Post by moab » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:39 pm

Believe it or not I've found some pants that fit me from Gap online. From skinny jeans to plain front, straight leg, black dress pants with some stretch. If your hard up check out their online store. You can reorganize search results by waste and length size. I'm a 46-48 waist and 32-34 length. And I've found a few pair that fit me from there.

My problem is length in body. My Gregory Z65 large pack fits well. Keeps the weight on my hips and not on my shoulders. The big Molle rucksack is to short for me. As are the Alice packs. But what I really meant was jackets. My wife actually bought me a new jacket for xmas with the intention of having it copied but longer by a local seamtress. Have not found the seamtress. But have found a couple on craigslist. Hoping to end up with a jacket that fits.

+1 on the tailored thing. My mother actually tailors my shirts so they fit better. If the neck size fits the rest most likely will not. Kind of like a tent teepee or something. I hate that. With the exception of pants from the Gap I pretty much have to have everything tailored. Or like I said I'm going to have some stuff made. If I'm really lucky I can find one or two shirts or jackets a year that fit me.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

doc savage
Favorite Zombie Movies: no favorite yet.
does resident evil count? :)

Post by doc savage » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:36 am

It took me a while to figure out that m1956 and m1967 PLCE and Molle gear came in Large sizes ( belt and suspenders.) check the inside for L stamps, Not the R ones.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:32 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:I'm 6'2" and currently stuck at 230lb. The heaviest I got was just over 250, and like an idiot, thinking I was a still a 190lb teenager, I went hiking on a rocky trail with a 50lb pack and no name boots. Needless to say my feet have never been the same since, and I got a bad case of Plantar Faciitis and other issues.
I'm 6' 7" 280 lbs and in my late 40s with an ideal weight probably around 230 (I'm a medium frame). My weight shot up about 10 to 15 lbs two years ago due to plantar fasciitis which led to my arches collapsing that was brought on by being on my feet all day for a week at SXSW. No more hiking for me, and any bug out will have to be by car. Can't stay on my feet for too many hours a day, much less with a pack on my back.

To those of you that are younger, take care of your feet. And also realize that a certain age, your body may have trouble supporting the weight any more. Best to reduce it now if you can. I wish I'd realized that about five years ago. And now I'm in the position of where reducing the weight is a lot harder because of difficulties with exercising.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:03 pm

Great topic! Should be a sticky.

I'm 6'1 and run around 275-300. Best weight was in the airforce, like 205....stayed at 240 until I quit smoking, now I'm in the predicament I'm in.....Tactiacl Gear for us ogres is for sure hard to find, expensive, or uncomfortable

moab

Post by moab » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:12 pm

Forgot to share my secret site for big guys hiking, hunting and backpacking clothing:

http://www.bigcamo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great prices on sizes all the way up to 8xl. a lot of Columbia stuff too. Good stuff.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

TexHeavy
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ

Post by TexHeavy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:01 pm

The brand "Bogs" are great boots. I can't speak so much for their hiking proficiency, but they keep my feet warm, dry, and comfortable for a whole day of duck hunting. Completely water proof, and big sizes as well.

Wraith6761

Post by Wraith6761 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:10 pm

If you find yourself needing a good base layer (or even a mid-layer), check out the stuff at http://www.minus33.com/. Very comfortable, easy to care for, and they go up to 6XL (plus they have tall sizes too). It's a bit pricey, but they usually add stuff into the clearance area on a regular basis.
Woods Walker wrote:...I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:56 pm

So how about some individual reviews of gear as a pertains to big guys?

I've got the 5.11 Rush 24 pack that I use as my EDC. This a pretty popular tactical style pack right now, so I thought it would be worth talking about. The shoulder yoke system definitely seems optimized for smaller frames, so the fit is not great for how it sits on my shoulders. It's OK for just general carrying around as EDC, but I would not want to carry this thing loaded on my back for even half a day. Then the shoulder strap pads and connectors are a little short to me. Finally, the chest strap is useless. It's up way too high.

In comparison, the SpecOPS THE PACK (tactical version) I have for my BOB is awesome. I know it has a lot more internal space, but the design is better. No shoulder yoke system, so conforms better to my shoulders. The should straps are longer (along with the padding) than the 5.11 down to the buckles. And the chest strap is removalable/relocatable to different positions. Plus it comes with a waist strap (you have to buy your own with the 5.11 Rush 24). Much better bag for a big guy. :)

I'm 6' 7", 275, size 50 extra long coat size, so you know the size perspective.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

moab

Post by moab » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:32 pm

I'll give a short review of the Columbia Steens polar fleece jacket in tall. You can pick them up at http://www.bigcamo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. In sizes up to 6xlt. It's the only polar fleece that fits me length wise. And the only polar fleece that comes in long besides some poorly made ones at Cabelas. (I picked up two of the Cabelas ones that were on sale a few weeks back. And they suck. The sleeves are gigantic. You could have them tailored. But not worth the hassle IMHO). The Columbia Steens is a much nicer weight polor fleece. Not sure of the exact weight but it's called "MTR Performance Fleece". But like I say it's the only one that fits me big enough. I'm 6'3" and have a long body. And a 52" chest. So that gives you size relation right there. I've worn mine everyday for over a year now. With no signs of wear. My only gripe is that it won't fit around my neck. But I have a pretty wide one. I can zip it all the way up. But it's a little tight. But I may have an 18 or 19 inch neck. So your mileage may be even better.

http://www.bigcamo.com/Columbia-Sportsw ... jacket.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by raistlin » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:50 pm

moab wrote:I'll give a short review of the Columbia Steens polar fleece jacket in tall. You can pick them up at http://www.bigcamo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. In sizes up to 6xlt. It's the only polar fleece that fits me length wise. And the only polar fleece that comes in long besides some poorly made ones at Cabelas. (I picked up two of the Cabelas ones that were on sale a few weeks back. And they suck. The sleeves are gigantic. You could have them tailored. But not worth the hassle IMHO). The Columbia Steens is a much nicer weight polor fleece. Not sure of the exact weight but it's called "MTR Performance Fleece". But like I say it's the only one that fits me big enough. I'm 6'3" and have a long body. And a 52" chest. So that gives you size relation right there. I've worn mine everyday for over a year now. With no signs of wear. My only gripe is that it won't fit around my neck. But I have a pretty wide one. I can zip it all the way up. But it's a little tight. But I may have an 18 or 19 inch neck. So your mileage may be even better.

http://www.bigcamo.com/Columbia-Sportsw ... jacket.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LLBean used to be a really good option for fleece and other outerwear. Tends to cost a little more, but the quality usually makes the price worthwhile.

However, last time I looked at their stuff online, some of their clothing has bought into the new style cuts, according to what reviewers are saying. Ten years ago was so much better for finding taller clothes. Back then there was european fit (rare, almost never in big and tall), but then it became athletic fit (more common for regular sizes), and now it is the standard fit for a lot of stuff and has invaded the big and tall sizes. I'm finding that brands that used to fit me in 2XLT (and still do in the older clothes I have around) are no longer a good fit at all. :mad:

bc99

Post by bc99 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:05 pm

I bought two of the Cabela's fleece jackets when they were on sale for $20.00 each. I echo the sentiments of the poster above. They are more just jackets and I wouldn't use them to layer at all. That being said, for $20 they are fine for a warm jacket when you don't have to worry about rain or layering. Obviously better on the back porch or tailgate than deep in the woods.

moab

Post by moab » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:06 pm

If anyone's looking for lightweight gi goretex in XXXL+. I bought one. Only one left. UK GI goretex jacket in multicam. The size 3XL is very hard to find and according to specs a lot larger than just 3xl. It supposed to fit guys up to 6'11". These are the only ones I've seen in a while. And I don't think you can find this in USGI at all. Not this size anyway. Even in commercial goretex this size is hard to find. Not a bad price at about $80 plus shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-British-Arm ... d#shpCntId" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*The only drawback to these goretex outer shells is that UKGI does not consider goretex as an outer layer. But as an inner layer to be worn under their field jackets. Thus they have no bottom pockets. Only chest pockets. But us big guys have to give something up somewhere I guess.

OakleyBD

Post by OakleyBD » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:32 pm

Howdy everyone. I actually joined ZS because of this thread. 6'3", 325(ish). Weight was never an issue playing o-line in college, but fast forward 14 years and it is. I need to work on a BOB, which brought to the forum in the first place.

I appreciate the advice on this thread, and hope to contribute where needed.

My EDC bag is a Maxpedition Vulture II. I like it quite a bit, but it's not roomy enough for a BOB. Main reason is that a big body needs big clothes! It fits the shoulders well. I tuck the waist strap in, and don't use the chest strap. I suppose if I had to hump it I might use them.

I'd like to second (or third, or fourth) Under Armor underwear. I've been wearing the 6" for at least the past year. They are a bit pricey, but worth the investment. I also wear the UA charged cotton as under shirts. My next purchase for them will be the tactical version. I'd like to see if the cut is shorter on the sleeves so they don't poke out on some of the polo style shirts I have.

Not gear related:
As for working out my money goes to CrossFit. Most places will let you try a class or two for free. You'll find all types of athletes at all ages, sizes, and ability levels. Give it a try.

If anyone is interested I did the juice diet for four days, and can get into more detail if desired. First couple of days S.U.C.K., but I dropped about 9 pounds in the four days. Check out "Fat, sick, and nearly dead" on NetFlix.

~Oakley

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:50 pm

When I was in high school, I lived across the street from a guy who was morbidly obese. He was close to 600lbs I think. Large enough to where he was borderline from staying in bed the rest of his life. I guess he got tired of it one day and he started walking to the mail box 4 times a day.

After a while it was to the end of the block, then around the block, then around two blocks, after a while he was doing hour long strolls through the neighborhood and the weight just fell off.

After about a year he was literally half the man he used to be. I moved away and have no idea if he stuck with it or not, and honestly the guy was kinda a jerk to everyone (prob was depressed and unhappy). But I kinda admired him for that year in his dedication to his goal.

I guess the point is, you dont have to lose 10 lbs in a month, or 100lbs in a year... as long as you start doing SOMETHING and sticking with it even the baby steps will lead you to your goal.
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

bc99

Post by bc99 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:07 am

Big guys burn tons of calories just on hikes. Throw a ruck on, get those big leg muscles moving, and climb some hills/trails. If you watch what you eat a bit, and maybe cut back portions or just choose healthier foods you will literally see the pounds melt off. For me, it was cutting out some of the fast food and soda. That has helped me as I still try and work with my weight. Also, just walking a mile a night will add up over the week.

As far as big man gear, I'm still looking for some comfortable, lightweight hiking boots or mid-length trainers. Anybody have any ideas? I wear a size 13, not the biggest foot but sometimes I still miss out on selection.

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:13 am

Not necessarily super lightweight, but they're light-ish and tough enough: The North Face Ultra 106 GTX. The only time I don't wear 'em is when its dead in the middle of summer, because I've got cooler footwear for that. They're trail running/light hiking shoes. I'm on my second pair, and I'll keep buying them as long as they make them.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Other Gear”