It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:41 am 

Very interesting. And it's amazing to see the advances that have occurred since the start of this thread. I can see them being used in hunting applications as well. My friend's drone is impossible to hear when it's pretty high, yet the camera is good enough to spot large game (hog and deer) at a reasonable distance. That's the main reason I'm interested in getting into this drone thing myself, for scouting game in rough terrain without spooking them too much.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:22 pm 

FYI again, you gotta keep it in line of sight.... https://www.faa.gov/uas/publications/mo ... raphic.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:36 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Rugger, in areas heavily troubled with wild hogs, these are very handy. They're canny critters, but you can pick up a lot of info from the air to help track down a pod of those beasties.

Ineff, absolutely. Needs will vary greatly between folks and can't be pre-determined with a 'best' solution on a web forum. Patrol is an excellent use for a fixed wing uav.

Current regulatory situation being in flux, I think it's still valid to discuss the utility value of these things.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:53 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

http://mashable.com/2015/07/25/drone-scares-trespassing-kids/

now you only need to attach something to it to do some damage. Like a speaker that hurls insults at them.
In best crotchety old man voice, "You kids get off my roof and Lawn!"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:17 pm 

In the search and rescue group, an aircrew (during a practice mission) once dropped an egg carton near us. The guy who retrieved it suddenly started running quickly, we understood when he told us that the package, when opened, had the message written in it:

"Contents to follow."

They didn't but it got him MOVING fast :P Doable for annoying kids you want to leave, if you have the cargo space to carry eggs. :P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:54 am 

Holger Danske wrote:
FYI again, you gotta keep it in line of sight.... https://www.faa.gov/uas/publications/mo ... raphic.pdf

My company recently got FAA approval to fly-for-profit and we were surprised by the 'line of sight' rule. You also need to have two people, one as pilot in command and the second as a spotter.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:29 pm 

Yeah the line of sight thing is for everyone, but the two pilot requirement is only for the commercial operators. Good luck with your business!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:58 pm 

I have a DJI Phantom 3.

The No. 1 reason for getting it was the photography. I'd had the Professional 4k model since it came out and I'm still blown away at the video I can get with this quadcopter. The 2nd reason I got it is for what the OP is describing. Information gathering in a PAW scenario. The Phantom 3 uses Lightbridge which will allow for 720p video transmission to the transmitter/tablet from 1.2 miles away. In my option, this would be an invaluable item to have in PAW.

The Phantom 3 has the longest battery life of any Ready To Fly quadcopter with payload for under $1500. 25 minutes.

Here it is with my Note 4 on the transmitter:

Tablet (Nvidia Shield)

Here it is next to my buddies 3DR Solo. The Solo is nice because it uses the GoPro for FPV/recording. I still went with the Phantom though because the max range of the Solo is 500m and the flight time is 20 minutes with payload.

This is the pack I have for it. Made by DJI:

Here is some video I shot with it. Watch in 4k if you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOxK1VQ7S4A

[YouTube]DOxK1VQ7S4A[/YouTube]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:25 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Very nice. I'd consider one of those, but I'm currently tied up in building my first "serious" quadcopter.
I'll be starting out LOS flying the 470, with a Flip cam aboard at first. Once I'm confident with the platform I'll look into fpv options.

I'm still grooming my Bix3 for duration type work.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:46 pm 

velojym wrote:
Very nice. I'd consider one of those, but I'm currently tied up in building my first "serious" quadcopter.
I'll be starting out LOS flying the 470, with a Flip cam aboard at first. Once I'm confident with the platform I'll look into fpv options.

I really really want to build a quadcopter because I do have so much fun flying them. I feel like it will give me a more intimate knowledge about them that I can't get by buying a RTF Phantom. Like I said in my other post, it's all about the photography for me and I don't know that I can achieve the same stability, flight time, and fpv signal with a DIY quad. I get so jealous when I see others who have built their own multi-rotors but I haven't started because the Phantom 3 Pro is just perfect for my needs.

I'd be really interested to hear about your build as you go a long.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:23 pm 

TerryGecko wrote:
velojym wrote:

I really really want to build a quadcopter because I do have so much fun flying them. I feel like it will give me a more intimate knowledge about them that I can't get by buying a RTF Phantom. Like I said in my other post, it's all about the photography for me and I don't know that I can achieve the same stability, flight time, and fpv signal with a DIY quad. I get so jealous when I see others who have built their own multi-rotors but I haven't started because the Phantom 3 Pro is just perfect for my needs.

Generally speaking DIY can almost always give you better results than preassembled off the shelf quads if you do your research and pick your parts right. That is of course the rub. You need to make sure you do plenty of research ahead of time, not only picking good parts but in making sure they are compatible. It also tends to mean you will likely do multiple upgrades as you learn what works and what doesn't.

BTW you might want to check out my comment earlier on this thread about DJI (or the government) being able to ground your quad. Personally I am avoiding DJI due to this. Since it leaves your quad open to corporate, government, and hacker overrides.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:08 pm 

ineffableone wrote:
TerryGecko wrote:
velojym wrote:

Generally speaking DIY can almost always give you better results than preassembled off the shelf quads if you do your research and pick your parts right. That is of course the rub. You need to make sure you do plenty of research ahead of time, not only picking good parts but in making sure they are compatible. It also tends to mean you will likely do multiple upgrades as you learn what works and what doesn't.

BTW you might want to check out my comment earlier on this thread about DJI (or the government) being able to ground your quad. Personally I am avoiding DJI due to this. Since it leaves your quad open to corporate, government, and hacker overrides.

Research isn't the problem. That's the fun part for me. In all my research I've never come across someone building a >25 minute flight time, 1.2 mile range (720p fpv), 4k recording, GPS, Sonar, and full gimbal control for much less than what the P3 costs. Especially when you consider Lightbridge. Lightbridge alone makes the Phantom 3 instantly worth it since that system alone costs $1300. I also prefer the fpv to be on the screen of my tablet since by law you have to stay line of sight anyhow.

I absolutely want to build my own and definitely will eventually but the Phantom 3 checked too many boxes for me to ignore. I've built computers, AR15's, Arduinos, flashlights, etc... and plan on adding multirotors to that list but I'll always own a Phantom as long as I keep getting these results.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:14 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

My XJ470 has been collecting dust for the last few weeks. I got busy with work related stuff, in addition to getting up to speed on my ham radio stuff.
Nearly all the components are there, and I'm a bit nervous as I get closer to completion, but I also have a couple smaller copters I've been using to
polish my technique... and hopefully today I'll have another relatively inexpensive quad in the 'fleet', a Quanum Nova (CX20, basically) I'll be using to get used to a larger bird, and the fact that it has a surprisingly advanced spec sheet for its price.
These will be close-range photography aircraft, as their flight durations will be limited by the small-ish batteries I currently have. (will upgrade in the future)

I still think that, for range and distance, fixed wing is the way to go, unless you're feelin' froggy and want to try a tilt-rotor type. The Firefly6 is, to quote an Austin Powers character "dead sexy".

Also on the workbench, I have a glow powered PT40 trainer and an Ultra Stick with no power system yet. They're both pretty beefy, and I think I could make a couple of pretty good load-lifting camera platforms out of them for terrain mapping, search-rescue, and all sorts of other stuff. A flying 2m repeater is one idea I'm playing with. Just put the autopilot-operated trainer in a steady orbit and let it circle for a while.
Sure a balloon or a kite would do that, and I may try that out too, one day. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:25 pm 

velojym wrote:
My XJ470 has been collecting dust for the last few weeks. I got busy with work related stuff, in addition to getting up to speed on my ham radio stuff.
Nearly all the components are there, and I'm a bit nervous as I get closer to completion, but I also have a couple smaller copters I've been using to
polish my technique... and hopefully today I'll have another relatively inexpensive quad in the 'fleet', a Quanum Nova (CX20, basically) I'll be using to get used to a larger bird, and the fact that it has a surprisingly advanced spec sheet for its price.
These will be close-range photography aircraft, as their flight durations will be limited by the small-ish batteries I currently have. (will upgrade in the future)

I still think that, for range and distance, fixed wing is the way to go, unless you're feelin' froggy and want to try a tilt-rotor type. The Firefly6 is, to quote an Austin Powers character "dead sexy".

Also on the workbench, I have a glow powered PT40 trainer and an Ultra Stick with no power system yet. They're both pretty beefy, and I think I could make a couple of pretty good load-lifting camera platforms out of them for terrain mapping, search-rescue, and all sorts of other stuff. A flying 2m repeater is one idea I'm playing with. Just put the autopilot-operated trainer in a steady orbit and let it circle for a while.
Sure a balloon or a kite would do that, and I may try that out too, one day. :)

You'll enjoy the Nova, I know I enjoy mine (and my CX-20 too) -- since all Novas are open source APMs that means it's upgradeable, I just hope you get the one with the Telemetry ports already soldered in so you don't have to solder it yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:52 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'm given to understand that, on mine, everything is available as pins on the underside of the body, along with the USB port. Is that what you mean?
Hopefully I'll find out before we leave work, as it's being delivered to my office.
Yeah, the APM was one of the reasons I decided to go ahead and spring for it. I'll be able to ramp up the quad's abilities along with my own.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:00 pm 

velojym wrote:
I'm given to understand that, on mine, everything is available as pins on the underside of the body, along with the USB port. Is that what you mean?
Hopefully I'll find out before we leave work, as it's being delivered to my office.
Yeah, the APM was one of the reasons I decided to go ahead and spring for it. I'll be able to ramp up the quad's abilities along with my own.

Well, no. You have +12v/signal and +5v/signal pins on the underbelly. This is stuff that connects directly to the APM daughterboard in the flight controller box.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:19 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/russia-unveils-cockroach-spy-robot-152625697.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:27 am 

Well just started the process of collecting parts for my build and ordered a Sky Hero Little Six frame.

As I can afford to spend the money I will be ordering the other parts to build the drone I want. I put the radio (A FrSky Taranis X9D plus) and flight controller (PixHawk) I want on my X-mas list, so I might luck out and get those for X-mas. Otherwise I will be ordering those next. Then eventually the KDE Direct motors.

Might take a few months, as this isn't a priority and I don't have a lot of money to spare these days. But I have started ordering, and look forward to the build.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:59 am 

Holger Danske wrote:
Yeah the line of sight thing is for everyone, but the two pilot requirement is only for the commercial operators. Good luck with your business!

Just an update. We've recently flown some missions for profit and have been getting some good word of mouth referrals.
Funnily, the county in which we operate our business hired an out of town firm to do a promo of local businesses including drone overflights. The Chamber of Commerce, which is coordinating the promo, brought the team they hired in to profile us and when my boss found out they'd hired a company flying for-profit illegally, he bounced them out of the office and quit the local chamber. His reason, we fly for free for all county EMS, fire and police agencies.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:08 am 

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:24 am 

FAA says they don't share your information except with law enforcement..... http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/#priv

UAS Registration Q&A

Privacy
Q47. Who can see the data that I can enter?
A. The FAA will be able to see the data that you enter. The FAA is using a contractor to maintain the website and database, and that contractor also will be able to see the data that you enter. Like the FAA, the contractor is required to comply with strict legal requirements to protect the confidentiality of the personal data you provide. Under certain circumstances, law enforcement officers might also be able to see the data.
Q48. Will my email address be used for other purposes? Will you make it available to other agencies or companies?
A. No.
Q49. Why is the current Aircraft Registry fully searchable but this one is not?
A. The current Aircraft Registry is most frequently used to record the documents used to secure the financing of the aircraft and to aid in proof of ownership. Full searchability of that portion of the Aircraft Registry is needed to enable those purposes. It is much less likely that UAS in the .55 pound to 55 pounds category will require secured financing or need to affirmatively prove ownership. The Government, in accordance with the requirements of the Privacy Act, protects and generally does not release personal information. Given the nature of UAS, in particular, the risk that the communications link between the operator of the UAS is disrupted or lost, and the risk of losing the UAS is larger than it is for other types of aircraft. Allowing searches of the unique identifying number of UAS will enable the return of these aircraft to their owners.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:25 pm 

And the video while not explaining fully, has said the FAA FAQs are not correct. It specifically said that this info is contrary to FAA's website. If you watched the video it clearly discusses this info is contradicting what the FAA put in the FAQ page.

*edit to add, if you follow the video's source material. http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia/2015/12/18/faa-finally-admits-names-and-home-addresses-in-drone-registry-will-be-publicly-available/

Quote:
In an email message, the FAA stated: “Until the drone registry system is modified, the FAA will not release names and address. When the drone registry system is modified to permit public searches of registration numbers, names and addresses will be revealed through those searches.”

Quote:
But my colleague pointed out that the DOT’s filing contained the following statement, “all records maintained by the FAA in connection with aircraft registered are included in the Aircraft Registry and made available to the public, except email address and credit card information submitted under part 48 [the new model aircraft registry].” In addition, the DOT statement says the name and address of model aircraft owners will be searchable by registration number.

Quote:
Specifically I asked: “Will a hobby registrant’s name and home address be publicly releasable? Will the public be able to search the hobby registry for owner names and addresses by registration number?” I thought these were easy questions requiring simple yes or no answers. But apparently they weren’t that simple so my questions were referred to the FAA. An FAA spokesman wrote back: “Initially the Registration system will not have a public search function. The FAA plans to incorporate a search by registration number in the future. Names and addresses are protected by the Privacy Act. The FAA will handle disclosure of such information in accordance with the December 15, 2015 Federal Register notice.”

Quote:
“my reading of the DOT policy is that if someone requests the name and address of a drone registrant the information will be released by the FAA. I don’t want to misstate what the FAA would do so I would appreciate your confirmation.”

The FAA responded that it would have the Chief Counsel’s Office again review my request. It seems the third time was a charm and I got an answer that may not make many hobbyists very happy.

Though the article doesn't explain what that 3rd answer is? Unless it was the first quote of saying the search function is in the works.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:38 pm 

You are correct. If you paper register (part 47)it's all out there, but if you internet register (part 48) they won't release everything. Aircraft registry info has always been publicly available so it kind of makes sense. I hope they fix the faq's soon.
faa says -
" All aircraft registration information for manned aircraft, UAS, and sUAS registered under part 47 are accessible to the public through the public Aircraft Registry website at http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/. As previously mentioned, email addresses, telephone number, and credit card information of sUAS owners registered under part 48 will not be available to the public and will only be disclosed in accordance with the General Routine Uses applicable to all of the Department’s systems of records. "

See page 6......... http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/media/151213_SORN.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:54 pm 

Holger Danske wrote:
FAA says they don't share your information except with law enforcement..... http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/#priv

UAS Registration Q&A

Privacy
Q47. Who can see the data that I can enter?
A. The FAA will be able to see the data that you enter. The FAA is using a contractor to maintain the website and database, and that contractor also will be able to see the data that you enter. Like the FAA, the contractor is required to comply with strict legal requirements to protect the confidentiality of the personal data you provide. Under certain circumstances, law enforcement officers might also be able to see the data.
Q48. Will my email address be used for other purposes? Will you make it available to other agencies or companies?
A. No.
Q49. Why is the current Aircraft Registry fully searchable but this one is not?
A. The current Aircraft Registry is most frequently used to record the documents used to secure the financing of the aircraft and to aid in proof of ownership. Full searchability of that portion of the Aircraft Registry is needed to enable those purposes. It is much less likely that UAS in the .55 pound to 55 pounds category will require secured financing or need to affirmatively prove ownership. The Government, in accordance with the requirements of the Privacy Act, protects and generally does not release personal information. Given the nature of UAS, in particular, the risk that the communications link between the operator of the UAS is disrupted or lost, and the risk of losing the UAS is larger than it is for other types of aircraft. Allowing searches of the unique identifying number of UAS will enable the return of these aircraft to their owners.

Huh.
They (the OPM) couldn't secure my personal data (everything from my name on down through who my third grade PE teacher was..finances, family, everything really) from my security clearance paperwork. Stuff that the Federal government said would be locked up and held as %100 confidential.
Now they expect that this data will be secure? :lol:

I give it less than a year before someone "unauthorized" is browsing though the personal data in the registry.

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next