It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:11 pm 

majorhavoc wrote:
DJH wrote:
Here's a second vid

I'm sorry. What were we talking about? :awesome:

:shock: One of the best thread hijacks ever!! :clap:

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:35 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Doesn't solve the power, training, and noise concerns.

Don't get me wrong. I hate drones for a plethora of reasons, and tactical applications are only a portion of that. If it's a hobby or interest, by all means, enjoy. Don't fall into the pit of telling yourself it's a prep item if it's a hobby though. I see the purpose it might serve, but for the near future I think the limitations outweigh the benefits by far, as a prep item.

I think the moose video (I'm guessing shot from a quadcopter) shows that the video quality is better than "basically shit" and the operator (some college age hobbyists I'm guessing) was skilled enough to navigate it into a stand of trees and it was quiet enough and discreet enough not to spook a moose. The video was linked back to a base station where the giggling pilot was but it didn't seem to need huge antennas.

That said, it was a flat frozen riverbed, the distance didn't seem to be more than a kilometer, there was no video showing the landing and most consumer level products seem to only have a 60 minute flight time.

Clearly not practical as a tactical prep, but imagine you launch one of these like the Phantom that follow GPS points. You watch the video feed as you have breakfast and this gizmo is saving you the trouble of riding the fences to see what you have to add for the morning's work list.

I'll just mention here that the guy that posted the Moose vid is the editor of the techpages at Norwegian Broadcasting, and is a proper geek (aka a good guy in my book). He's got a ton of info on quads on his private webpage.

There's also another guy here in Norway (in my town actually), who also have some impressive videos, but I cannot find his homepage right now.

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:46 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Back in the 90s, I wrote a lot of speculative fiction while sitting in truck stops and waiting to load/unload. One setup I came up with for a PAW story was a folding-wing drone airplane that would be piloted from the right seat of a large armored cargo truck. The aircraft would be stored in a recess atop the truck, and would be lifted into the air for deployment at speed. The pilot could then provide "eye in the sky" information to the driver in realtime.
I also played with quite a few other ideas, including having a live pilot inside the aircraft (recovery was usually on the road, and the plane lifted back into place with a light hoist) and different types of craft, such as the gyroplane. I also played with Wing-in Ground Effect craft, not so much a post-apocalyptic scenario, but highways were merely smooth grassy strips cris-crossing the countryside, as the craft only needed a few feet to gain "flying" speed. There was also a version that acted as a "torpedo", about the size of a large manta ray, with a warhead in the tip. Hey... I was bored.

Wordy today because things are slow here at work. Please forgive.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:29 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

velojym wrote:
Back in the 90s, I wrote a lot of speculative fiction while sitting in truck stops and waiting to load/unload. One setup I came up with for a PAW story was a folding-wing drone airplane that would be piloted from the right seat of a large armored cargo truck. The aircraft would be stored in a recess atop the truck, and would be lifted into the air for deployment at speed. The pilot could then provide "eye in the sky" information to the driver in realtime.
I also played with quite a few other ideas, including having a live pilot inside the aircraft (recovery was usually on the road, and the plane lifted back into place with a light hoist) and different types of craft, such as the gyroplane. I also played with Wing-in Ground Effect craft, not so much a post-apocalyptic scenario, but highways were merely smooth grassy strips cris-crossing the countryside, as the craft only needed a few feet to gain "flying" speed. There was also a version that acted as a "torpedo", about the size of a large manta ray, with a warhead in the tip. Hey... I was bored.

Wordy today because things are slow here at work. Please forgive.

A trucker who writes speculative fiction. I would expect no less here at ZS. :awesome:

Something very close to this is supposedly now available, the UAV module for the Maximog expedition vehicle.

http://www.maximog.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:19 pm 

I have personally considered a RC car for more grim scenarios, but a quadrotor or plane had not crossed my mind. I can see the tactical advantage with the correct setup per user. This is obviously an extra hobby that could supplement prepping. As for being part of prepping, that would be some specific scenarios and require a RC vehicle that is very stealth (no blaring engine).

I do like the OP's idea of setting up a patrol path and letting it go while you enjoy breakfast. The moose video made realize the benefit of cameras on a large property with wildlife. They could be used to help pinpoint spots for sanres and traps that may have been missed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:12 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

You just now it's only a matter of time this shows up on Meritline. In the meantime you have to buy it direct from Bejing, and I doubt there's a coupon code for free shipping. But surely a no-name Chinese attack drone could be re-purposed for surveillance purposes, no? :clownshoes:

http://uavstar.en.alibaba.com/product/658346150-213422866/abc.html?err_biz_type=null&url_type=pro_list_subject_url_3&biz_type=Ta_trends&crm_mtn_tracelog_plan_id=1195218451&crm_mtn_tracelog_task_id=21573335&crm_mtn_tracelog_log_id=2924929277

The SKY-02 small attack UAV uses a rear engine and wing integrated delta wing layout. :crazy: The fuselage uses composite materials and the head is equipped with the image guided and payload. Once the ground finds and identifies the target, UAV immediately goes into the attack status: ball tripod head freely rotates to guide the UAV attacking targets. Engine uses mechanical and electronic three grades insurance with high security. :ooh: The UAV is mainly used in the mountains, hills and complex terrain conditions; does effective short-range real-time attack to the fixed ground target or slowly move targets, such as artillery hole, command post, communication station, radar station, oil truck, oil depot and other small and temporary goals. Small attack UAV is characterized with small size, light weight, convenient carrying, rapid outfield expansion procedure, easy operation and maintenance; the system only needs 2-3 operators to operate, can be carried by surveillance personnel to complete the attack mission.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:43 pm 

Thought about purchasing the DJI Phantom 2 but now it seems a bit outdated having a higher price tag than its competitors. So I consider buying the newly DJI Phantom 4 which is a good option in the case of a tight budget. Plus, it can record video in 4K (that's why it is called sometimes as Phantom 4K). Take a look at the Phantom 4 review.

Last edited by Shwep on Sat May 07, 2016 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:41 pm 

Here's some video from my company's UAV. Were going to do some night flying weather permitting and I'll post some IR video

http://youtu.be/YVtNi0CWGg8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:30 pm 

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
I can imagine that something with a 2 mile range would be great for a person who has a 40 or 50 acre BOL for doing perimeter security patrols. You could plug in GPS way points , just launch and watch the video link. Or if I lived in an area prone to large scale disasters, floods, it could be a handy way to conduct damage assessment without having to drive around.

Hmmm, I might have to consider getting some drones when I am looking at land for my homestead. It could really help out for just general scouting when looking at property and possibly finding hidden springs and other such interesting features.

Then as you mention I could use it to scout the perimeter as a security drone.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:01 am 

You got me looking at drone videos

and now I want one of these. http://www.hover-bike.com/MA/product/drone-3-basic/

folds up into a back pack transport case

But the best part, is buying these drones helps fund development of a real hover bike!
1st prototype

2nd prototype (in development) next to the 1st and the drone

The videos I stumbled on that got me looking at these.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:49 am 

So I guess you haven't seen Jamie Hyneman's quadcopter.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:43 pm 

White Bear wrote:
So I guess you haven't seen Jamie Hyneman's quadcopter.

I found the DJI Inspire 1 and the Phantom and really liked the Inspire 1 except for the $3,000 price tag for it, the Phantom $900 was more reasonable but still pretty high.

Then I found the Plexidrone. http://plexidrone.com/ Which has most of the desirable features of the Inspire, for a lot less money. Still not cheap, but more affordable for someone like me who doesn't plan to make this a hobby to flush all my money into. Starting at $699, and going up to $979 they are priced more in the Phantom range than the Inspire. The one thing I don't like is the Plexidrone is big on GoPro camera mounting, while I really liked the not GoPro camera of the Inspire. The fishbowl (fisheye) effect Gopro's make is a bit annoying to me, and the Inspire had a camera that didn't do that. Though Plexidrone does offer other gimble mounts that might work for a different camera that I do like, I will look into that more once I actually get to a point I might actually be ready to order. I also like that they have a good range of accessories for these. Including upgraded prop arms turning the quad into an octo copter.

For the $3000 price of one DJI Inspire 1 I could get the swarm pack of 3 Plexidrones with some money left over. I think this will seriously effect Inspire 1 once these Plexidrones actually start getting known.

The down side of Plexidrone, they are not actually fully on market. They are preorder right now. They crowd funded to get up and running, and production is not yet shipping. But I think they are getting close to shipping and we will likely see a lot of Plexidrone review videos soon, which will likely be pretty cool, since right now the videos of Plexidrone are not that great.

Now all that said, the Inspire 1 is cool as hell and I would love to get one. Just the look of it to me is awesome. If I could dump $3000 on a drone I would not hesitate to buy the Inspire 1. The look of them is just amazing, and lets be honest, sometimes looks can matter when buying something. While function is nice, looks can be a big selling point. However $3000 is a lot of money I could spend on other preps, and I don't see winning the lottery anytime soon since I don't actually play it. So the Inspire 1 just isn't in my price range.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:34 pm 

OK not sure if this is real or faked, but a drone with a 100 round mag machine gun and self destruct is frightening and interesting.

*edit to add, Seems this was a Call of Duty promo hoax. But there is a lot of questions on how it was hoaxed online with no real answers. Some say it was cgi as soon as it took off. Others say just the shooting was cgi, and some say everything was real, but it was a low cal 22 gun, and the detonation at the end the explosive was in the car not the drone. I don't know and don't really care. Hoax or not, eventually this sort of thing will end up real. It is just a matter of time. And eventually they wall be autonomous as well as armed. That will be a scary day.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:38 am 

Damn this thread, it has got me looking and researching all sorts of drones.

So far I am digging on the

Hoverbike drone
DJI Inspire 1 (but doubt I will ever drop $3K on a drone)
Plexidrone
Yuneec Q500 Typhoon
Walkera Scout X4 or X8
Walkera Tali H500 Hexacopter

Still a while before I am actually even considering buying anything. So still plenty of time to research more, and of course new models to come out. LOL

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:01 am 

The FAA has put out information about playing with drones ........... https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/ .
-Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
-Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
-Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
-Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
-Don't fly near people or stadiums
-Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
-Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:04 am 

And beware of silencerco's Johnny Dronehunter...... https://youtu.be/jIXwQVFt8Ho

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:19 am 

No, a remotely-piloted vehicle is not part of my preps, nor will it be for the foreseeable future. I'm willing to go so far, at this point, as to call the idea laughable and fantastic. It's kind of along the same lines as using observation dirigibles. IMO, most situations would be better served with a high quality, intelligently-installed wireless surveillance system.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:53 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I can assure you it can be done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8wV-2urYrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToUfpfllqdQ

The original video I saw showed a .22 or similar pistols attached and was engaging human analog targets with extreme prejudice! Not the FPS Russia video.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:03 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I purchased a small inexpensive one some time ago and it is quite good actually. I just cannot operate effectively even with a light breeze. But it will give me practice and provide me with good intel on calm days of my surrounding area if needed. Scouting campgrounds and woods provides me a good lay of the land. Later if I feel up to it I may purchase a better drone.

I will tell you this given even a 100 ft of altitude I can assure you that the noise coming from mine cannot be heard a long distance. I still think the benefits outweigh the bad. I like the way point GPS idea for monitoring your property from the comfort of your home.

I kept thinking about the limited flight time but as I have come to understand that 8-10 minutes of flight time is a pretty long time. That is enough to get in the air, scan your surroundings and even investigate any anomalies then return to base.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:20 am 

doitnstyle1 wrote:
I purchased a small inexpensive one some time ago and it is quite good actually. I just cannot operate effectively even with a light breeze. But it will give me practice and provide me with good intel on calm days of my surrounding area if needed. Scouting campgrounds and woods provides me a good lay of the land. Later if I feel up to it I may purchase a better drone.

I will tell you this given even a 100 ft of altitude I can assure you that the noise coming from mine cannot be heard a long distance. I still think the benefits outweigh the bad. I like the way point GPS idea for monitoring your property from the comfort of your home.

I kept thinking about the limited flight time but as I have come to understand that 8-10 minutes of flight time is a pretty long time. That is enough to get in the air, scan your surroundings and even investigate any anomalies then return to base.

Yep getting a small drone so you can learn to fly one and not freak out every time you crash or make a slam into the ground landing is highly suggested by all the beginner guide research I have done.

As for flight time, I would like to eventually get something close to 20 min flight time, and most of the ones I have listed as gaining my interest have 15-20 minute flight times.

The Yuneec Q500 Typhoon has been scratched off my list due to the FPV having up to 10 second lag. Which means you really can't fly it out of sight using the FPV which is something I would consider nonnegotiable for any drone I get except for a cheaper practice one.

I am semi interested in another drone company now, though. Sky Hero. But what they sell is kits and you build the copter. But they are really cool, and building one would make me have to learn a lot about how it works, and thus know how to repair it. Plus it would allow me to do plenty of customization. The fact they are DIY though is what makes me only semi interested. I don't want to bite off more than I can do. I have seen there are some Sky Hero drones prebuilt for sale from some shops. So I could also go that route too, but then it takes the fun of building it away.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:33 am 

I have been considering picking up the Hubsan H107D FPV X4 for a practice quad with FPV ability. While not exactly cheap at $150, I sort of figure the FPV makes up for that price bump. Not to mention it has a lot of great reviews. Only down side is it eats batteries, with only a flight time of about 6-8 min max and from what I hear the recharging stand takes an hour to recharge. LOL. So I would want to get a fast charger and extra batteries right away.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:33 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

If you have never flown or owned one, may I suggest this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Syma-X5C-Channel-2-4GHz-Explorers/dp/B00KI03U8Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1428330487&sr=1-1&keywords=quadcopter

Although it is not FPV, I would get this to practice your flight through line of sight first. The FPV apparently fail regularly on those.

If you get the Syma, I would also suggest clipping the ends off of the blade protectors. they stick out and act as hooks that will get caught on anything. Luckily, I found this out in the house before getting it stuck up in a tree. I would also suggest a small fishing rod and lead weight so you can get it out of a tree with ease. It should be part of your recovery kit.

I'll try to post some nice video from mine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:19 am 

doitnstyle1 wrote:
If you have never flown or owned one, may I suggest this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Syma-X5C-Channel-2-4GHz-Explorers/dp/B00KI03U8Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1428330487&sr=1-1&keywords=quadcopter

Although it is not FPV, I would get this to practice your flight through line of sight first. The FPV apparently fail regularly on those.

If you get the Syma, I would also suggest clipping the ends off of the blade protectors. they stick out and act as hooks that will get caught on anything. Luckily, I found this out in the house before getting it stuck up in a tree. I would also suggest a small fishing rod and lead weight so you can get it out of a tree with ease. It should be part of your recovery kit.

I'll try to post some nice video from mine.

The Hubsan X4 is one of the most recommended starter quads. I sort of figured maybe getting the Hubsan FPV X4 which is basically the same copter with an FPV cam added to skip over the cheap $40 version the regular X4 is, but still have the same general quality of it. I don't expect flawless FPV for $150. Just the ability to get some experience with it and to actually be able to see images I am recording is a nice feature, rather than the wait till you pull the card and check what images you got.

I am not planning to buy any time soon though. It will be a month or two before I even start to seriously consider buying a starter practice drone. Still lots of research and I plan to go to an actual RC hobby store and get some physical hands on and talk with some of the folks there. I did see the Syma, and have it bookmarked along with a bunch of others.

I have been checking out the Parrot Bebop a bit. While I have heard the FPV lags horrible when using a phone or pad to control, when used with the Skycontroler it is actually supposed to be fairly decent and get pretty good range. The big draw back is the integrated camera, though the stabilizing software is almost as good as many gimbals from what I have heard. A plus and minus the camera auto corrects for the fish eye. So you get less distortion fisheye effect unless you turn the camera to the corners of it's range. For the price, and from what I hear ease of control it might be the best option for me. I am not planning to go full tilt into this hobby, just wanting to eventually get a decent drone I can scout the wilderness with and terrain when I am looking for properties and then to do quick surveillance of the property when I get it.

I am also still hoping the Plexidrone comes out and stays affordable, if that hits the market and reviews come in positive that will likely be my choice.

Another quad that has caught my interest is the TTRobotix’s GHOST+. It comes not RTF, and you have to do some assembly to get it up and going, but it seems to have some promise and it is less work putting together than the SkyHero kits.

I have to say if I was going fully into this as a hobby I would likely be looking at SkyHero a lot more. They seem like a great step into the DIY world without starting from scratch and building from the ground up.

Oh and DJI copters have become something I am not interested no matter how cool and interesting they are.

I found out DJI has remote lockouts for their copters. Sold as to keep their copters from functioning in no fly zones (what happens if you stray too close to one while flying?) , this however enables DJI or the government to render any DJI drone inoperable with just a signal broadcast. I have also found out DJI will also lock out control until you update firmware when they release new versions, forcing you to update when they release new firmware. Which is rather annoying. I also wonder what happens if that lock out happens while your in flight?

Maybe it is just my paranoid don't trust government and corporations mentality, but if I buy a drone I don't want to get locked out from using it. Warning noise if you fly too close to a no fly zone, sure fine, but shutting your drone down, no thanks. As someone pointed out discussing this topic. Cars don't have accelerator lock outs to stop them from going over the speed limit. It is up to the driver to drive legally. Same should be applied to drone use.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:09 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Good to know.I was looking at the DJI as a possible future impulse buy. I'm glad you mentioned that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next