Is a Remotely Piloted Vehicle Part of Your Preps?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Is a Remotely Piloted Vehicle Part of Your Preps?

Post by majorhavoc » Wed May 29, 2019 7:20 pm

I just listened to that NPR piece on Houthi drones on the drive home from work tonight. Fascinating. And frightening. A new era of warfare indeed.

I suppose a FPV rotary drone (or a longer range, higher endurance FPV fixed wing drone) could theoretically be used for reconnaissance to protect a PAW homestead. But you'd have to invest heavily in a robust solar system to keep the lipo batteries charged. And stock spare parts deep if you intend to operate it for more than a few weeks. But if you're scouting for hostiles, such a device could just as easily lead them right to your location. All the while broadcasting that you have some really nice toys.

Maybe a more realistic prepping-related use would be a rotary drone that could take HD video and still pictures of building damage to support insurance claims, or apply for federal disaster relief loans.

But really, if you're trying to justify a remotely piloted vehicle based on a prepping rationale, it probably just means you really want one. So you should just get one. They look like they're a hoot. I've played around with inexpensive Syma drones and I built a 4 channel airplane out of Dollar Tree foam board, but I've never had the nerve to fly it.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Is a Remotely Piloted Vehicle Part of Your Preps?

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:12 pm

Here is a really clever use for a drone that made all the difference in a real-world emergency situation.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-07/ ... e/13039190

The article doesn't say what drone was used to carry aloft that cellphone but I'd have to think it was a fairly substantial prosumer grade machine. Not sure you could pull this off with a DJI Mavic Mini. Maybe that should be a "prepper-forward" performance criteria for your next drone: ability to carry a cellphone to a high altitude.

Return to “Other Gear”