It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:54 am 

Having more than one address is always a bonus. :)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:16 pm 

Watch Ryder wrote:

Said by someone who hasn't had to explain multiple address in a security clearance interview :lol:

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:59 pm 

Got my Sky Hero Little Six frame, and have to say I am loving it. A really cool frame and I am looking forward to this build quite a bit. though one bummer, is the 6 bolts needed to secure the arms were missing. Though since I am still collecting parts, not a massive problem. The company I bought it from is working on sending me the missing parts.

Here is a list of parts I am collecting for this build, starting with what I have already bought
Frame = Sky Hero little spyder 6 (bought)
Flight Controller = 3DR's PixHawk (bought)
Radio = FrSky Taranius 9XD Plus w/X8R reciever (bought)
Misc Electronics = 3DR UBlox GPS + Compass module, Pixhawk External LED and USB , Safety Switch for PX4/Pixhawk, 3DR Hex Power distribution board (bought)

Still need to buy

Misc Electronics to still get = I2C splitter, Minim OSD
Motors = KDE 2315XF-965 motors and KDE UAS20LV 20A+LV ESCs (these were what were recommended to me by KDE)
Propellers = I would like a 3 or 2 blade folding props. While the Little Six can use up to 11" props, it seems hard to find folding props of that size. KDE sells folding props that are 12.5" and I did find 9" folding props meant for a DJI Phantom which might be what I opt for if I can't find 11" props.
FPV camera = still undecided but leaning toward the Luminier CM-800 mini
FPV ground station/goggles = VueXL VX1 FPV Headset.
Battery charger & Batteries = Hitec X4-Eighty 4-Port Multicharger and still shopping for the right batteries. I need 4s 37000mah or better

Once i get this stuff I will be able to fly, technically I wont even need the FPV gear to start flying.

Planned for later purchases after I get the craft flying. these are all upgrades and extras that I want to slowly add as I can afford.

Motor mounts = KYLIN aluminum coaxial motor mounts
Main Camera = Looking at Sony Action Cams both the regular and mini however finding a gimbal seems a challenge, otherwise it will be a GoPro. I would prefer the Sony Action Cam as it would give a centered lens. The GoPro has the lens off set to center of the craft, something I always have found a bit annoying.
Camera Gimbal = Zhiyun Z1 - TINY 2 3D, FeiYu Tech Mini 3D, or the Tarot T4-3D if I have to opt for the GoPro which seems likely. I am leaning toward the Zhiyun Z1 but it runs for $300 while both the FeiYu Tech and Tarot T4 run $150ish, so price might make me choose one of those.
Rangefinder = LIDAR-Lite Rangefinder/Maxbotic I2C Sonar Rangefinder/Lightware SF02 Rangefinder (not sure what sort of range finder would be best yet)
Long range = EZUHF Jr module
Landing gear = definitely going for retractable gear, I have been looking at the Tarot small retractable landing gear.
LEDs = Definitely going to add a few LED lights but not a priority to start with.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:40 pm 

Just watched this video on a drone mounted net gun system and thought it worth sharing.

While it was originally designed at capturing another drone with sinister intent due to the amount of issues with drones being misused out there and the potential for worse misuse, later in the video interviewing the designer they discuss how it is also possible to use to catch ground based objects including a person.

Rather an interesting concept, and possibly something worth looking into for folks thinking of using a UAV on their property to do perimeter security checks. Adding this to your UAV could give it the ability to not just scout and be surveillance but to actively stop a threat. Of course there are draw backs like being single shot but still interesting tech to keep an eye on.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:06 pm 

LowKey wrote:
Watch Ryder wrote:

Said by someone who hasn't had to explain multiple address in a security clearance interview :lol:

Amen brother!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:56 pm 

Well another step closer, just got my KDE motors and ESCs as well as a battery charger today. And have a GPS mast, a FrSky X8R receiver antenna mount, and a battery in the mail.

Sadly I found out the PBD I had ordered won't really work right for me (thankfully it was only $11), and the PDB I do need is out of stock and likely will be for at least another month due to Chinese New year. There is only 2 sources for it, from China and 1 US distributor. My craft being a hex makes options a lot harder to find. I might end up just putting together a "squid" (6 wire leads connecting into 1 to connect to the battery) as a temporary measure so I can power up the motors and test them and make sure they are rotating the proper directions.

It will likely be another month before I get the last parts to really have it ready to fly, but I should be able to power it up and start testing the systems this month.

Next month I can hopefully get the last of the parts I need to get the craft in the air. Then I still need to buy the FPV camera and headset, and the gimbal and camera to really get the full effect and have a camera drone. But the cams aren't necessary to get it in the air. While buying parts slowly over time takes longer, it definitely makes it easier than saving up and trying to buy it all at once as i would likely have ended up with sticker shock at how much I am spending if I spent it all at once. I am at least making headway each month as I get a little more and a little more.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:04 am 

Did anyone get the new Phantom 4?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:05 pm 

I personally avoid DJI products due to their backdoor ability of grounding of your aircraft. I don't like that a company locks you out of your craft to force you to get firmware updates when they want. As well as this backdoor is a vulnerability to possible hacking by government or others to ground your craft.

I am still working on my Sky Hero Little Six, and ordered a Kai Deng K70F. The K70F is a toy grade Sky Hero spyder knock off. But coming in at $135 for a RTF fpv quad was just too tempting. Sadly the shipping was delayed a month, it was supposed to ship beginning of April but got moved to beginning of May. I figured this will give me an intermediate practice drone while I finish the Little Six. While I like the Proto X I use to practice with, having a more full sized drone will give me a lot better learning as well as longer flight times.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:08 pm 

Canadian Prepper just did a video on Drones as a force multiplier for preppers

I am not in full agreement with his take, but felt it was worth adding to this thread.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:30 pm 

I made a couple ground vehicles, and have a couple small quadcopters. The biggest drawback is the battery requirement.

I find this interesting, but wonder about the recoil pushing it backwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59ttSwYNspw

My heart would not fear.
-P.O.D.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:44 pm 

Awesome looking ground vehicle, that is something a lot of folks are forgetting in this thread, that while there trend is toward flying other RC vehicles like car/trucks and even boats could be highly useful. A RC rolling vehicle can be a lot quieter than a flying one and can still have a camera mounted on it. These could be used for checking building, or checking over the rise of a hill, or many other options.

That 12 gauge shooting heli was hilarious BTW, and yes it did get pushed back by the recoil quite a bit. But I sure as hell would not want to be in front of it.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:18 pm 

Ground vehicles can be easier to camoflauge, they don't fall out of the sky when the battery dies, and they also don't give away your position like an aerial vehicle can.

The disadvantage is that they can get stuck easier on rough terrain, the smaller the vehicle, the easier to get stuck.

Some design considerations for portable ground vehicles (written by me):
https://www.embeddedrelated.com/showarticle/1020.php

Design for snow and cold weather:
https://www.embeddedrelated.com/showarticle/1018.php

The vehicle I put together can transmit the video back to my tablet and audio through the microphone back to a radio.

I need something stiffer than the portable DVD player case...

I would like to have one of these:
http://www.toysrus.com/buy/rc-cars-moto ... 0-89074766

Maybe one of these, too:
http://www.toysrus.com/buy/see-all-blas ... -111477796

I have a car and a toy throwbot:

Both have cameras that transmit to a tiny screen on the controller.

Experimented with a robotic arm on the vehicle. The cat5 limits it to 40 ft.

This vehicle and controller will fit in a SAW pouch:

Battery life is a problem. I started to experiment with solar charging for the battery, but haven't gotten much further.

I would like to compete in something like the SparkFun Autonomous Vehicle Challenge or a Robomagellen event. Things learned preparing for that would directly translate into perimeter patrol vehicles.

My heart would not fear.
-P.O.D.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:33 pm 

Awesome info share Wolf, LOL, the IRobot with arm had a hilarious video of it breaking out of a gift wrapping.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:25 pm 

I did a little drilling and tapping to modify my vehicle. It will now fit on the backpack better, and has less weight to carry.

My heart would not fear.
-P.O.D.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:38 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Dang Wolf! Nice work!

Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:24 pm 

Navy, Marine Corps officials worried about cost-effectiveness of unmanned systems:
http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/ ... px?ID=2478

Autonomous driving in dynamic environments
http://www2.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/ ... irosws.pdf

Unmanned vehicles for integrated force protection
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a424302.pdf

U.S. Unmanned Aerial Vehicles in Combat, 1991-2003
http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRec ... =ADA434033

My heart would not fear.
-P.O.D.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:12 pm 

I know this is a late post, but while kite shopping for my kids, I noticed that the larger adult kites require 100 lb + kite line top keep from ripping loose. I figured anything with that much pull can haul a couple lbs of gear aloft A little research found that kite aerial photography (KAP) is a real discipline, and 100m+ elevation isn't unreasonable. I've also heard of ham operators lofting antennas with kites. Adding in a blue/gray travel or parafoil kite, an R/C controlled gimbal, and a FPV camera into your go kit is going to give you a definite first look advantage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kite_aerial_photography
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 2814000084

And, lets face it, you're not launching a drone in winds strong enough to require 100 lb kite line.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:27 pm 
BANNED

Yeah a have like 7 or 8 drones total and it would be so useful in any disaster especially to look for people that need help or to find out where the zombies are. The only thing is that they need power to charge batteries but as long as you have that taken care of you'd be set. I have gopros and 5.4ghz cameras that will show me live view. I use to use one of them to find out where the mail man was like every day. Haven't used any since I moved into my new place but the latest drone I made is actually a boat with cameras cause my place has a lake in the back so I can drive it all over the water and spy on all the neighbors around the lake. If you want a good drone with gps and all the fixings you can build one for around 2-300 dollars that's full size and get a sjcam action camera, forget about gopros, sjcams are a fraction of the cost and have even more features and the quality is better even. Don't be fooled by the "brand names". I actually have many posts and blogs on my drones in the drone forum
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=656137

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:23 pm 

wolf_from_wv wrote:
I did a little drilling and tapping to modify my vehicle. It will now fit on the backpack better, and has less weight to carry.

Do you have some videos of it in action by any chance? :ooh:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:47 pm 
BANNED

I HAVE VIDEOS OF MY RCs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:00 pm 
BANNED

Here's the boat I made
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egtDdrtqlso
Here's my initial testing when I just making it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIOBNkwR2Vc
here's one of the drones I made and was trying out while I was apt sitting at my best friends place
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBPpmZfZHOU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:05 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Close_enough wrote:
I know this is a late post, but while kite shopping for my kids, I noticed that the larger adult kites require 100 lb + kite line top keep from ripping loose. I figured anything with that much pull can haul a couple lbs of gear aloft A little research found that kite aerial photography (KAP) is a real discipline, and 100m+ elevation isn't unreasonable. I've also heard of ham operators lofting antennas with kites. Adding in a blue/gray travel or parafoil kite, an R/C controlled gimbal, and a FPV camera into your go kit is going to give you a definite first look advantage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kite_aerial_photography
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 2814000084

And, lets face it, you're not launching a drone in winds strong enough to require 100 lb kite line.

Very much so, and especially in places where the wind tends to be more steady, a great way to get a sensing package airborne without as much worry for battery capacity (not to mention weight). Another solution is the kytoon, which uses lifting gas for primary lift... and has aerodynamic foils as well. On calm days, it'll float nicely up, and in a wind that would blow a normal balloon downward, the lifting foils would maintain enough lift to keep it steady and up high.
A few of these on firm anchors, with r/c pan/tilt cameras, and you have some really great eyes in the sky.

Also, if you have a ground source of power, there's also the idea of using a tethered multicopter. It'll have the ability to buck the wind, hold steady, etc. while saving battery weight and worry about endurance. You do, on the other hand, have to take into consideration what kind of current you can provide without getting too hefty with the tether cord.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5