Xpectre Survival Bows...anyone seen them?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Gunmetal Crew Chief
Favorite Zombie Movies: Walking Dead TV Show
Dead Snow
Dead and Breakfast
28 days later
Land of the Dead
Orig, DOTD

Xpectre Survival Bows...anyone seen them?

Post by Gunmetal Crew Chief » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:39 pm

Hey Guys and Gals..
Just wonderingif anyone had seen these Xpectre Survival Bows yet? I searched for threads with the name "Xspectre" but didnt find any so I thought I might post about them and ask.

Looks like they make a few models...and all of them are "Take down" bows. I noticed they are basic, very basic, BUT I have also shot them, and they are quite powerful depending on which Limb Strength rated model you get.

I believe they have a 35#, 45#, and 55# Draw Spectre II Bow. The one I like is the Nomad bow which is even more compact than the Spectre II. The Nomad comes apart into multiple smaller pieces and even the arrows can be taken down. Dats kewl. :) I think the Nomad is 45# draw, but I'm not 100% on that.
Anyways, Heres a link to their site if you wanna check out the info for yourself.
http://xpectre.com/index.php?option=com ... Itemid=101" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Heres the Spectre II Bow:

Heres the Nomad Bow(It takes down to a small 16"):

They also have a lil fishing kit with a take down fishing Pole.

So, I have a few of these bows here that I will be reviewing... does anyone want to see the reviews here when theyre done?
Visit my Blog--->> http://www.gunmetalgearblog.com

LittleQuick

Re: Xpectre Survival Bows...anyone seen them?

Post by LittleQuick » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:58 pm

I would love to see a review here for sure, I am looking to getting back into archery, and this would be a cool addition to the gear!
Vicarious_Lee wrote:DISCLAIMER: America, Fuck Yeah. Sweet Gear. It's Your Money. Do Your Thing. No one will be mad.
TheLastOne wrote: A couple of kids thought it was funny but I punched them in the throat. Breathing was not an issue.
You're only as good as your last patrol.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:39 pm

Not to be "breaking your balls", but... Did you post this here to tease us, or to generate click-thrus?
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Gunmetal Crew Chief
Dead Snow
Dead and Breakfast
28 days later
Land of the Dead
Orig, DOTD

Post by Gunmetal Crew Chief » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:06 pm

Dawgboy wrote:Not to be "breaking your balls", but... Did you post this here to tease us, or to generate click-thrus?
heh heh...no worries. My bawls still feel intact...for the most part anyways. Whats a click thru?

no, I dont work for them, I was just curious if a review on these would be a good post here. I always post the reviews on my blog, of course, but I try to check if its a product Im unsure will be recieved well or unsure if anyone wants to read about it here.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:14 pm

A click thru:

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/C/click_through.html Yo, I'm makin' cheese...

I still want to see a review on this, maybe I will pick one up for Christmas for some backyard fun...
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

2now

Post by 2now » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:36 pm

I would like to see a review on the take down arrows. I can see how they might be a great item for a non gun BoB. I wonder if you could put extra peices together to make a longer arrow/spear or to make a tarp support.

I am all about multi use BoB items
I am a lawyer but I am not YOUR lawyer.

Hammer2213

Post by Hammer2213 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:23 pm

Bad ass!!! Thanks iv been looking for something like this!

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:37 pm

that a interesting bow, i wanna see more of that take-down bow.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Wormjello

Post by Wormjello » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:38 pm

Dawgboy wrote:I still want to see a review on this, maybe I will pick one up for Christmas for some backyard fun...
There are 35 four and five star reviews on Amazon, only 2 one stars.
http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-Compact-T ... ewpoints=1
Hmmm... I need a bigger backpack. :?
Lever 4 Ever!

Gunmetal Crew Chief
Dead Snow
Dead and Breakfast
28 days later
Land of the Dead
Orig, DOTD

Post by Gunmetal Crew Chief » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:04 pm

Its a nice bow...the NOMAD bow is even nicer. I will do a review with pros/cons soon and post it up.

As for the take down arrows... you cannot screw 3 or 4 together and make a long Atl-Atl (Spelling?) Arrow or anything of that sort. you COULD do that if you bought the arrow pcs separately and epoxied in the 'male/female' end pcs properly, and attached the nocks and field points where needed.

As for Tarp Stakes...its possible I guess. But these arrows arent heavy duty tent stakes.

Although I do believe you could take the "take down" arrows and tie a small length of cord to the 'male' end and then screw the two pcs together and then use it for an "improvised Bow-fishing arrow". Frankly, I stink at fishing, so I may have to have someone else test that.

I'll start the write up this week.

*Edit* Oh ya, No click-thrus. It wasnt intentional if it did happen. :)

Kun2112

Post by Kun2112 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:28 pm

Interesting concept. I shoot traditional, and would recommend getting those arrows re-fletched with feathers rather than vanes. Without a "whisker biscuit" type arrow rest, vanes will affect accuracy. Personally I have a really nice 3 piece takedown longbow that will go in my bag if I have to bug out. I did some experiments with two piece and three piece take down arrows last year and they reduce accuracy and penetration a little.

man in black
Favorite Zombie Movies: shaun of the dead
return of the living dead
28 days later
28 weeks later

Post by man in black » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:50 am

actually pretty baller, i would be down for a review.
As we run into the house
The wall of dead surrounds
Tentacles of decay flesh
Tear and pull us down
Doors and windows boarded shut
But the pressure was too much
Zombie I, girl please run away

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kevincurbstomp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <- my tumblr

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:28 pm

Do not want.

Kun2112 wrote:Interesting concept. I shoot traditional, and would recommend getting those arrows re-fletched with feathers rather than vanes. Without a "whisker biscuit" type arrow rest, vanes will affect accuracy.
Eh, no. You can use vanes, but when dealing with a shelf instead of a non elevated, center-shot rest your spine rate becomes critical - as well as proper orientation of the fletchings.

I think the biggest issue will be those take down arrows - want to talk about screwing up a spine rate, lets put inserts and screws in the working area of the spine and then see what happens. I bet those things are spine over .300, which that bow is not going to be rated anywhere near - feathers won't stabilize it any faster than vanes at that point, and with a spine that stiff it's going to kick away hard enough that you could glue a soda can to the back and not smack the riser.

There are plenty of 3 piece bows that would allow for a non interrupted limbs and arrow length , and honestly all the times I've been out the only time I break it down is when I've got 80#'s of meat in the pack and I'm done hunting. And it fits nicer on the plane - that too.

Might be fun to play with, but IMO, that's about it.

NXP

Kun2112

Post by Kun2112 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:49 pm

I assumed that the arrows were spined correctly before modified. Interesting on the vanes. I have been told for years that you want feathers when shooting off the shelf because they "lay down".

I agree that a standard three piece take down would be a better choice.

Out of curiosity, what is your bow of choice? Mine is a Striker Stinger TDL @ 51#
Last edited by Kun2112 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:51 pm

A feather set wrong is still shit. There is a difference between plastic and real, but type is much less of a consideration than placement.

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:52 am

Kun2112 wrote:I assumed that the arrows were spined correctly before modified. Interesting on the vanes. I have been told for years that you want feathers when shooting off the shelf because they "lay down".

I agree that a standard three piece take down would be a better choice.

Out of curiosity, what is your bow of choice? Mine is a Striker Stinger TDL @ 51#
They were probably spined reasonably correctly before they were spliced, at which point that spine rate is now shot - you've changed the deflection point by adding the inserts, and also changed the weight distribution point = stiff as mofo arrow.

Spine and orientation are critcal with vanes, as is vane length if applying a helical rotation. You can also play with vane profiles and location along the shaft for best clearance (hint, get them close to the nock). Honestly, if you're running an EFOC profile, the forward weight of the arrow will stablize the arrow faster than the drag from the vanes. Try it sometime with a raw shaft.

Crossing into OT/Other Weapons, but I've got a few - had a Striker for a while, fantastic finish on that bow. My all time knock around/hunting bow currently is a BW PSA3 57@27. I can't kill this thing for the life of me (and I've tried - oh I've tried and gotten external help to boot), and I was not a huge supporter of them until this one. I do believe it could be the "Insert favorite bombproof plastic pistol company here" of traditional bows. It's not my all time favorite, but it's really hard not to like if you know what I mean.

NXP

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:37 pm

Am I reading that right? A PVC riser?
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:20 pm

jor-el wrote:Am I reading that right? A PVC riser?
Yup. If you look at the rest of the sight, you'll notice PVC is a core component in a few items.

NXP

Return to “Other Gear”