Pump (for house) recommendation- Get ready for Sandy!

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Qasim

Pump (for house) recommendation- Get ready for Sandy!

Post by Qasim » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:03 am

Gents,

Putting "pump" into the search function yields a lot of info on katadyn et al water purification systems. I'm looking for recommendations on the kind you use when you have water in your basement. I'm looking for something portable, since I'm not sure where the water will come in first. Appreciate recommendations. I have lots of extension cord but if anyone recommends any extras to go along with it I'd like to hear them too.

Thank you,

Qasim

NamelessStain

Re: Pump (for house) recommendation- Get ready for Sandy!

Post by NamelessStain » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:55 am

What you are looking for is a Sump Pump.

Many hardware type stores have them.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Dr Jekell
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Assorted Oldies

Post by Dr Jekell » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:58 am

A Heavy Duty RCD Extension Cord.
Screw the 2012 apocalypse. Ragnarok bitches!

There are no foolish questions and no man becomes a fool until he has stopped asking questions

Qasim

Post by Qasim » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:12 am

NamelessStain wrote:What you are looking for is a Sump Pump.

By the brevity of the response, I take it this is pretty much a commodity-type item and there are not big philosophical differences on features, brand, etc.

Thank you for your previous reply

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:23 am

Qasim wrote:
NamelessStain wrote:What you are looking for is a Sump Pump.

By the brevity of the response, I take it this is pretty much a commodity-type item and there are not big philosophical differences on features, brand, etc.

Thank you for your previous reply
A bit, but you did not give us anything to go on... If you know you have water problems than you will want a permanent installed system (too late today). If you are getting one just in case than you will want one that offers the best flow rate for power consumption as well as being able to move semi-solids. You will need the correct size outlet line. Stay away from harbor freight junk and get a real one.

Tell us more about your situation and we can "help" more.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:28 am

Blacksmith wrote: A bit, but you did not give us anything to go on... If you know you have water problems than you will want a permanent installed system (too late today). If you are getting one just in case than you will want one that offers the best flow rate for power consumption as well as being able to move semi-solids. You will need the correct size outlet line. Stay away from harbor freight junk and get a real one.

Tell us more about your situation and we can "help" more.
As Blacksmith said, there are details we don't have to make an honest and more accurate decision. Wikipedia has a decent page on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sump_pump#Pump_selection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Qasim

Post by Qasim » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:50 am

So, I have a sump pump in the basement, but occasionally I get water seepage in one corner (may be a landscaping issue, Mrs. Qasim thinks its a faulty gutter, but I checked the gutters a few weeks ago. Additionally, there is an intermittent stream on another side of the house. If it gets high, it will start rolling down my steps into the walk-out portion of my basement. I've never had problems with that side of the house but I heard the previous owner did.

So based on that, since I'm not (as has been mentioned) going to get a new sump pump in the next 48 hours, what kind of back up pump (submersible pumps seem to be popular at the Home Despot) would one recommend? I guess I'm planning on sucking up the water as it seems in, either putting it into a trash can or using lengths of garden hose to put it out into the yard. Obviously, if the power goes out, I'll be hosed. I might pick up one of these http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/TP-250-Utility-Pump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy to add more detail if that is still not enough to go on.

Redbad

Post by Redbad » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:59 am

A sump pump will work to drain water out of your sump/basement as the water comes in and is collected in the sump. A general purpose gas or diesel pump is used to drain your basement if the power goes out and the electrical sump pump stops working and you have several inches to several feet of water in your basement: gongel.net/store/generalpurposepumps This site also sells (and describes) sump pumps.
KD8EIB

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:38 am

Home Depot and Lowes have these as regular stocking items. These are designed for permenant applications but can be quickly jury rigged until you get it installed properly. You can jury rig it with a large diameter garden hose and an extension cord. Be sure to water proof the extension cord plugs if you do this and use a GFI.

http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Pumps ... TC|14272|s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One safety item that you also need for a sump pump. A ground fault interrupter is mandatory. DO NOT install even a temporary system without using a GFI.

You can get a cheap portable GFI for a makeshift application, replacement plug type or permanently wire one into a CB panel.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question117.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by raptor on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:06 am

You might take a look at portable submersible pumps. I got mine at Lowes and use it for localized pooling of water in my basement during flooding rains.

My basement stays dry most of the time, but during tropical storms etc the basement gets a decent amount of water in it.

Some of the more expensive ones have sensor to turn on when water is present, but the one I have doesn't. I wired in an outlet in the basement that works on a light switch by the basement door. When water is present, I flip the switch and let the pump run until it has pulled the water out.

I have a piece of garden hos attached that runs along the floor joists to and out through a basement window/vent.

It was the cheapest solution I could come up with and so far it has worked great.

As raptor suggested, definitely run a GFI outlet, or GFI circuit breaker at the panel for anything involving water and electricity.

grennels

Post by grennels » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:04 pm

I've had very good luck with these little guys.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/LITTLE ... Pid=search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shop around you can probably do better than Grainger.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

geoffreys7

Post by geoffreys7 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:55 pm

Don't forget to get enough hose to get the water clear away from the house! And don't get one that draws too much power as it'll blow the ciruit breaker unless you have the time to do a direct feed! I aslo have a clapper valve that keeps it from flowing backwards between the pump and my hose.

Regulator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Regulator » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:24 pm

Rigid is an excellent brand. Anything Grainger sells should be good too. You want a short one with a float as opposed to the taller kind with a float ball on a metal rod attached to the side of the pump. Most places that sell the pumps will sell hose kits also. These will attach right to your pump and are generally 1 1/4" corrugated hose. You do want a check valve immediately after the pump before you conect the hose. The store can set you up with that if it's not included in the hose kit. The check valve keeps the water in the hose from just running back onto your floor when the pump shuts off. GFCI outlets are a good idea anytime you're around water. You probably have these in your home already around your sinks. You can plug an extension cord into those outlets and be protected.

Return to “Other Gear”