The all-inclusive, sticked, flashlight and other light source review thread

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 pocket flashlight

Post by NT2C » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:00 pm

When the power at the house went out recently I found out that my wife no longer had the good flashlights I'd given her "back in the day" and was using a couple of those freebie Harbor Freight multi-led ones as a purse carry and a bedside carry. That quickly got corrected with two good flashlights from my stash but meant I needed to replenish my spares. One of the ones I saw on Amazon was this LUMINTOP TOOL AA 2.0 EDC Flashlight that I thought I'd try and see how I liked it. It's typical of one of the newer breed of LED lights in that it offers very high lumen (650) output when using rechargeable 14500 Li-Ion batteries, and a reduced power mode with regular alkaline (220lm) or Ni-MH (270lm) batteries. I'm going to stick with just talking about operation using 14500 Li-Ion batteries for this review though.

Offering 4 different power levels ( Low-16lm, Med-85lm, High-360lm, and Turbo-650lm) plus a strobe setting it came boxed in a nice little cardboard box with a dense, closed-cell foam insert holding the flashlight, lanyard, diffuser (more about this later), two spare O-rings, and an instruction booklet in multiple languages that actually had good English instructions. The light itself is small at 3.5" in length and 0.5" diameter and also includes a removable/reversible spring clip, all hard anodized in a nice matte black finish. Actuation can be done using the click button tail cap or (with the optional magnetic tail cap) by rotating the front section of the light. I have to admit to being skeptical of the 650lm claim for this light but a little testing with my light meter showed 3,470cd, slightly above their claimed 3,420cd, which jibes with the 650lm claim and, truth be told, this thing is hellish bright, especially when used with their glow-in-the-dark slip-on silicone diffuser. The diffuser goes easily on over the head of the light, extending about 0.5" and acts just like the frosting inside of a traditional incandescent household bulb, becoming a glowing, light radiating point in the darkness. It's quite effective at lighting up a 10' x 14' room, as the picture below illustrates. (the green square is a lens reflection in my phone camera)

And the glow-in-the-dark properties of the diffuser make finding it in the dark pretty easy.

Runtimes on the light depend, of course, on your choice of battery and output level, but range from 60 hours for alkaline or Ni-MH batteries used on the low setting, to a mere 21 minutes using a standard alkaline on turbo mode.

All in all, not a bad light for $18 shipped.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

The all-inclusive, sticked, flashlight and other light source review thread

Post by NT2C » Fri May 17, 2019 12:37 pm

I would like all future reviews of flashlights, lanterns, headlights, what have you that is used for illumination to be added to this thread so they are all in a central, easily searchable thread instead of scattered to the four winds. I will attempt to move any already posted threads that fit the purpose to this thread as I find them. (edit to add: I just tried this and there's a problem, older threads merged with this will come first in the thread because of age - checking other options) Let me start off with a review of my own about that NEBO Rebel flashlight/headlight... I posted this review on Amazon yesterday:

I really want to like this light because it has some good features but, for me, the negatives outweigh the positives and I'll probably gift this to a friend at some point. There are three major strikes it has against it for me but first, let me outline the good points.

Pros:

1) Excellent brightness, especially in "turbo" mode but also in "high".
2) Compact size - small enough and light enough that wearing it with the included (reflectorized) headband is mostly comfortable.
3) Magnetic recharging makes it simple to recharge.

And then we get to the cons, of which there are simply too many, including three major strikes that I'll list first.

Cons:

Strike 1) The cord on the magnetic charging base is too short (~ one foot) and non-replaceable. It's also made of a slippery, flat, rubbery material that's difficult to straighten out or twist. Since it's got a USB A on one end that's directional, being able to twist the cord to allow the USB plug to connect with a USB port that might be upside down or sideways becomes an exercise in futility. Unless the USB port you plug it into happens to face the right way, be prepared to just give up getting it to stand and just lie it on its side to charge.

Strike 2) Non-replaceable battery. The light uses what at first appears to be a standard 700mAh 16340 battery that should be user replaceable (because if you just used the light on high for its 2-hour runtime you probably still need light and don't have two hours to spare while it recharges) but which has a proprietary base on it to connect with the tailcap for recharging. Wrapped around the battery is a bright yellow sticker warning that it is not user replaceable and that damage to the light can happen if you try.

Strike 3) Exposed battery connections on the tailcap. While the center post connection on the tailcap is recessed far enough that dropping this light in your pants pocket full of change is probably quite safe, dropping it into a pocket with your keyring may not be. That center post isn't recessed all that far and the tip of a key could probably easily press against it, while the rest of the keys and keyring easily contact the other terminal. Having a high current electrical discharge on metal objects in your pants pocket is not fun.

Other lesser strikes:

1) No instructions. While the box itself has some pictures to show connecting the light to the charger and the different modes, there are no printed instructions in the package (or downloadable) telling you how to get into modes like turbo (long press) and strobe (double press).

2) Slippery housing! Except for a little knurling on the tailcap, the rest of the light is smooth and hard to hold onto with dry hands or gloves. The head, especially, with its weird flare, seems designed to slip out of your fingers.

3) Low isn't low enough. While the low setting (60lm) on this is probably great for extending battery life and lighting your way through an underground cavern, it isn't low enough to use without disturbing someone sleeping in the same room/tent when you need to get up in the middle of the night. A setting below low that was just 10 or 20 lumens would be helpful.

4) The box shows two ways of attaching the light to the headband, vertically and horizontally. To attach it vertically they expect you to use the clip to attach the light to the silicone/rubberized piece on the headband that you would slip the light into for horizontal use. All well and good until you wear it for more than a minute or two and discover the sharp metal tip on the clip cutting a bloody hole in your forehead. Don't try this at home kids, or in the field either.

Pics:

Tailcap connections

Battery base and inside of tailcap

Battery type label

Yellow warning label

Opposite end of battery

Mounted vertical

The blasted edge that digs into your forehead

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: The all-inclusive, sticked, flashlight and other light source review thread

Post by NT2C » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:48 pm

Time for another NEBO review, this time, the Armor 3 model:

The light is about the size of two cigarette packs, stood one on top of another and weighs a modest 7 ounces, with batteries. The batteries are 3 AAA batteries, which is surprising given the run times of the various modes. The packaging claims this can take a drop off a 6 story building (66ft/20m). Not having a 6 story building handy I couldn't test and verify that claim but I'm inclined to believe it, having owned other NEBO lights in the past. The unit also claims an IPx7 waterproof rating. The base of the housing contains a good-sized, powerful magnet that allows easy attachment to any ferrous surface:

There's also a belt clip on the back that has a keyhole slot for hanging it from a nail or from a clothed human:

The base of the housing also swivels, making it easy to direct light where it's needed. To change batteries you need to swivel the light and remove the battery cover with a small Phillips screwdriver. The screws are machine screws, not sheet metal type screws, and they thread into brass inserts in the housing. The screws are not captive though, something to keep in mind when changing batteries in the field where they might get dropped and lost.

There are two main light sources on the unit, one on the end opposite the magnet which is a focused beam rated at 160-16 lumens (both the white and red lights are dimmable by holding down the switch when it's illuminated):

And the COB light on the front face that gives a white, red, or flashing red light source:

The white is dimmable from 360 to 36 lumens and the red is dimmable from 40 to 4 lumens. The flashing red is not dimmable which I think is a shame because there are a lot of uses I can think of for a flashing red light at reduced intensity, such as marking your campsite at night when making a latrine call or for keeping track of where people are in your group without blinding anyone. Dimming any of the lights increases its runtime, giving you as much as 24 hours run time on a set of batteries using the spot beam dimmed to the minimum level. No run time is listed on the packaging or in the instructions for the flashing red but their website says it's 2 hours. List price is $24.99 but Amazon has it for just $19.50

I like these lights and bought two of them, one for each of our vehicles.

Current Weather in My AO

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:48 am

I recently purchased these three lights via Amazon and was very impressed with the performance for money.

I have been limiting my flashlight inventory to AA lights only. In the first 2 I was specifically looking for decent output from a single AA battery. I wanted to reduce my AA consumption (yes I do have rechargeable AA) while at the same time not compromise on anything except lighting run time.

These were on sale for $7.99. They have an end cap switch and a High & Low function. The light out put is easily 100 lumens.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

I am extremely pleased with these headlamps. These easily put out 100 lumens on high. They have a high, low and flood function. The single AA that powers it makes it very light and convenient to use. @ $6 per light it is great light. It even comes with a case to protect while not in use.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Finally I have noted that MiniMag light Pro models have been selling at steep discount since the Pro+ came out. This model has only an on/off function no high & low. That makes it quite useful for an after market tail cap if that is your preference.
I was really impressed with the light output from 2 AA batteries from this $17 light. The regular tail cap allows easy attachment of a lanyard (my preference) and this can live on a shelf near the back door of the farm for checking out those bumps in the night.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

It is as bright as the Streamlight 88850 PolyTac LED Flashlight that it replaced. The Polytac uses 2 of the silly expensive CR-123 batteries but obviously is older technology. The Polytac will continue in inventory but cycled out of day to day use to reduce the need for CR-123.

I would note that all three of these light work well with Energizer lithium batteries. They also work well with rechargeable AA.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:59 am

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:53 pm

The Olight i1R2 eos has been accurately described by others as, "The tiny light you didn't know you wanted." It's so tiny you never even notice its half-ounce of weight on your keyring, but when you need it you can count on it for dependable illumination even when frozen solid in a block of ice.

Powered by a rechargeable Li-ion battery that's permanently mounted and recharged through an onboard charger and micro USB slot (cable included) it has two illumination modes, 5 lumens, and a blazing 150 lumens. The 150 lumen mode has a 15 minute runtime from a fresh charge to 50% brightness and the 5 lumen mode boasts a full 6 hours of light before dropping to 50%. Beam throw for the high power mode is 40m and 9m for the low mode. It's rated for a 1.5m drop to a hard surface and carries an IPX8 rating. Recharge time is 75 minutes or less.

5 lumen mode

150 lumen mode - overpowers all the other light sources as the camera adjusts to it

With an MSRP of $17.95 it's a bargain but Olight frequently gives them away free to anyone who has an account on their site, you just pay a small $5.95 shipping charge. As a matter of fact, that's how my wife got the one in the pictures, and I got one too. I like these so much I have one on every vehicle keyring and also on my house keys, as does my wife.

Current Weather in My AO

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 pocket flashlight

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:05 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:00 pm
KJ, how do you find anything in there?

:clownshoes:

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 pocket flashlight

Post by NT2C » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:05 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:05 pm
NT2C wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:00 pm
KJ, how do you find anything in there?

:clownshoes:
My office? My beard? You need to be more specific. :crazy:

Current Weather in My AO

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:01 pm

A cheap and handy little light.

I was in Northern Tool the other day and came across these cheapo PRC sourced lights. They were $3 each and I bought the 2 that were left just to play test them and all I can say is "Wow where can I get a couple more of these?!".

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 6792NyTwUl

First of all I consider these to be in effect a disposable and niche type devices they will never meet QC of Fenix, Maglight, etc or be EDC. That is not their purpose. Their purpose is to provide cheap and effective emergency lighting in a room for a short duration event.

Pros:
1. It uses a single (just 1) AAA battery. While the run time will be limited the cost of that run time is negligible.
2. They are small and light weight, even more so if you ditch the screw driver bits.
3. It has a very strong magnet.
4. It is very bright COB for the size and battery.
5. Low price point so they a good giveaways to others who are not prepared.

Due to the light weight and magnet you can attach these to the top of door hinges to light corridors. They can attach to any light fixture on the ceiling that has ferrous metal in it. Since it is so light weight it will stay attached providing a large area of illumination by doing this.

Cons:
1. Cheap construction and IMO typical PRC QC.
2. Run time with a single AAA battery is less than 2 hours.
3. Need for a supply AAA to feed the light.
4. They have only the COB type LED so area lighting only.
5. Availability - I have yet to find a source in quantities of less 18. They are handy but I cannot recommend buy 18 (2 or 4 yes ... 18 no).

If you run across these and they are priced below $5 I would suggest buying a couple. That is why I attached the display box that you may see.
Duco Ergo Sum

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:09 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:01 pm
If you run across these and they are priced below $5 I would suggest buying a couple. That is why I attached the display box that you may see.
Not quite the same but I find these are durable and work well with rechargeable AA's

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8000LM-Portabl ... Swsi5e7GZo

Current Weather in My AO

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:26 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:09 pm
raptor2 wrote:
Not quite the same but I find these are durable and work well with rechargeable AA's

I stockpile this type of light (without the COB) and for the price they are great. The single AA lasts quite easily 3 hours on low (which BTW is pretty freaking bright). I keep these outside in the bar, workshop, front door, etc using a keyring loop and a simple nail. The only real draw back to these lights is the fact that they are black and small thus difficult to find in a low light situation. They are also easy to lose due to the size.

A couple of these lights and an 8 pack of AA batteries will provide continuous light for literally several evenings and a power out light solution for less than $20.
Duco Ergo Sum

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:35 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:26 pm
NT2C wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:09 pm
raptor2 wrote:

I stockpile this type of light (without the COB) and for the price they are great. The single AA lasts quite easily 3 hours on low (which BTW is pretty freaking bright). I keep these outside in the bar, workshop, front door, etc using a keyring loop and a simple nail. The only real draw back to these lights is the fact that they are black and small thus difficult to find in a low light situation. They are also easy to lose due to the size.

A couple of these lights and an 8 pack of AA batteries will provide continuous light for literally several evenings and a power out light solution for less than $20.
For about a year I bid on just about every eBay auction that listed the non-COB version for under $1 and I won about 50 of those. So, for less than $50 I got a large supply of some awesome lights and I used to give them away to just about anyone who needed one. I still have several and one lives in the pocket of my work pants for day-to-day use.

Current Weather in My AO

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:25 am

A couple of things:
I was on Amazon and found these on sale for $9.92 assuming they are not counterfeit they look like good deal.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002 ... UTF8&psc=1
Never mind they found their error and changed the price. Damn I should have bought a dozen. :evil:

Also I purchased this item.
There are 5 flashlights and it came in a foam packed plastic box (a mock pelican type case not water proof) that can repurposed along with 5 of these lights.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C9 ... UTF8&psc=1

I ordered them for the COB light and singe AA light. I tested them and an enerloop in the COB will last about 5 hours before the light shuts off. It likely has a chip in it that compensates for the low voltage and suckes every bit of engery it can get from the battery. I say this because when It shut off at the 5 hour mark it would not illuminate despite the fact it had been working.

In short for $20 and $5 for a pack of cheap AA alkalines you have decent power outage lights for several nights.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:23 am

I am really not sure this can be considered a flash light it does need USB power to work. That said this is a light that really impressed me with it's versatility and build quality. It has a 8 foot long flexible usb cable and the weight is minimal. It allows you to hang it from a wide variety of things. It is extremely bright but what impressed me was that fact that it could be dimmed (or brightened) by simply touching the lens. That and the dim settings are not the typical High/low but rather it is variable based upon how long you touch it. So you can go down to ~ a single candle of output to a claimed 200 lumens.

They claim IP67 water proof ness but I have not tested that. The USB cable does come with what appears to be a proprietary male end that attached to the light. All in all a very versatile light. I picked several up for $9.99 but I see they raised the price.

That said as long as you have a USB power bank this light can provide a lot of light for a long time.
https://smile.amazon.com/Voltaic-System ... QEWM&psc=1

Duco Ergo Sum

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:57 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:23 am
I am really not sure this can be considered a flash light it does need USB power to work. That said this is a light that really impressed me with it's versatility and build quality. It has a 8 foot long flexible usb cable and the weight is minimal. It allows you to hang it from a wide variety of things. It is extremely bright but what impressed me was that fact that it could be dimmed (or brightened) by simply touching the lens. That and the dim settings are not the typical High/low but rather it is variable based upon how long you touch it. So you can go down to ~ a single candle of output to a claimed 200 lumens.

They claim IP67 water proof ness but I have not tested that. The USB cable does come with what appears to be a proprietary male end that attached to the light. All in all a very versatile light. I picked several up for $9.99 but I see they raised the price.

That said as long as you have a USB power bank this light can provide a lot of light for a long time.
https://smile.amazon.com/Voltaic-System ... QEWM&psc=1

If not for the plug on the head end it might have made a good light for fishing. Too much risk it'd unplug though.

Current Weather in My AO

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:09 am

NT2C wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:57 pm
If not for the plug on the head end it might have made a good light for fishing. Too much risk it'd unplug though.
The plug that goes into the light fits through a boot and snaps securely in place. It is well constructed. This boot coupled with the light weight of the light makes it unlikely it will come detached. That said I would not put it in the water. I doubt it is waterproof to that extent. I think it is more water resistant than water proof.

If you wanted to hang it over the water it would be fine.
Duco Ergo Sum

Return to “Other Gear”