Does everyone's kit match in your household?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Does everyone's kit match in your household?

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:11 pm

I'm thinking about changing my bug out bag. The bag I have is great in size* at 20L (tactical tailor removable operator pack). The bag was built by me for me to evac my apartment building with nothing on, preparing for worst case scenario, leaving in the middle of the night, stark naked.

My wife has a bug out bag in constant disarray. The bag has been disassembled for travel, raided for camping trips, and generally never as well put together as my own. While my wife appreciates the idea of a bug out bag, it's never made her priority list.

The bag I'm eyeing is 5L bigger, but no visible molle panels. Several tactical features are built in, but well hidden from a casual onlooker. IMO, a great grey man's bag. I'm considering buying my wife a matching bag. Probably in a different colour. Does anyone else have matching gear with their spouses? Do you think it could draw unnecessary attention to the pair of you? Advantages being that equipment loadout can be set up similarly and each other's bag should be easy to navigate.

While I'd love for her to stock and pack her own bag, I'm getting tired of talking about it with limited results and have already gone about picking up and setting aside toiletries that I know she relies on either day to day, or while camping.

* 20L does not include the two molle water bottle carriers on each side of the bag, and the weak first aid kit velcroed to the front.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

woodsghost

Re: Does everyone's kit match in your household?

Post by woodsghost » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:14 pm

I'm not saying "emulate WG" in this answer, I'm just saying "I'm honestly answering your question."

My wife and I do NOT have matching bags. It would be cool of we did, but the issues you described also reflect our reality. At this point we have a car bag which has some basics for 24-36 hours. Then I have a "US City erupts in chaos" bag. Nothing else is assembled at the moment.

A significant issue is we have 2 kiddos, ages 6 months and about 3 years. My wife cannot carry the load I can, for the duration I can, and anything she carries will be heavily focused on the children.

I need to rethink some of our plans and re-do bags. I think a discussion with my wife would be helpful to build around some of her priorities. And a lot is aided by prepositioning some gear in the car for quick evac.

Basically, there are 2 plans: 1) head for the hotel/friends couch, and 2) head for the hills. Those plans look rather different and the bags are rather different. Otherwise, the car bag can be used as a "friends couch bag" and I have packed it with some minimal gear to cover that use. That bag is 20L, I think, and another 5L would be fantastic. The diaper bag is a Swiss Gear pack, probably close to 20-25L. And a good baby carrier is essential. Those will cover most of the most likely emergencies.

So I guess I currently have the quick car bag, the diaper bag, and the baby carrier and stroller. After that things get more personal with the urban unrest bag and "living in the woods" type bags.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:24 pm

Yes...because I'm the only one here. :mrgreen:

I really need to test it again, though.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:45 pm

I BO'd here recently. What I found was: I don't have a "...i just need to get a hotel room for a few days..." bag. I ended up with core needs, & a lot of things I didn't need.

1/50th U$D.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:16 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:45 pm
I BO'd here recently. What I found was: I don't have a "...i just need to get a hotel room for a few days..." bag. I ended up with core needs, & a lot of things I didn't need.

1/50th U$D.
That's the purpose of the "Urban BOB" in my signature, the 20L bag I'm referring to. It's a change of clothes, survival rations for three days, a sealed gatorade, a nalgene, cash, and generic items that are usually useful when you're not at home (pen, paper, chargers, old cellphone, paper records, etc). The world doesn't have to come to a halt for me to grab the bag. Electricity will still be at the wall. Water will still be at the taps.

In the event I need my INCH bag, this BOB will likely be used as a jump off point for clothing, raided for consumables, and left behind while I carry the INCH bag. The INCH bag includes a few heavier duty tools, less inconspicuous self defence carry, a wider range of clothing, and shelter.

Being able to carry everything, even a short distance (1 mile?) is another challenge when layering kits. A Bug out Bag, an INCH and a Bail Out Bag all built in backpacks would be very difficult carry at once. Once I replace this BOB, I plan to transfer my tactical loadout (bail out bag) into a rolling duffle/suitcase.

I've been building bug out bags for myself since I found zombie squad 12 years ago. I've learned a lot since then. This current bag is very practical, and I want the same for my partner. My daughter is now four weeks old and we need to incorporate her needs into both of our bags. We also have a dog with his own challenges. His BOB is well sorted, and even received a trail run while we were at the hospital delivering the little one. Their bags are currently back pack based, and that would definitely be a challenge if we had to BO on foot.

Looping it back around to the original question, having dependants makes it more practical to bring their needs into my spouse and my bags, which is another reason to make our bags the same, and organized in a similar manner.
BullOnParade

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:58 am

So I bit the bullet and ordered the bag of choice from a german backpacking site this morning, but only one. If I like it, I will order a second later.
BullOnParade

Return to “Other Gear”