Backpack advice.

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Varandelo

Backpack advice.

Post by Varandelo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:21 pm

What kind of backpack do you guys use? I would like to try fishing the backcountry but I'm at a loss as to what type of backpack I should get. I would like to hike to a site and fish a few days then maybe hike to another one. All of the fly fishing backpacks I can find seem to be rather expensive and not really what I'm after. I want something to take my tent and sleeping bag and camping gear with me plus fishing gear. Any suggestions? Thanks for advices.

SCBrian

Re: Backpack advice.

Post by SCBrian » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:15 pm

Honestly, if you're not sure what you're looking for yet or what you want, Go cheap, use it a few times and make a list of the like/don't likes. No sense spending 100$+ on a top of the line if you dont know what you need.

I'm currently rocking an Amazon Basics backpack. It suits my needs for weekend trips.
Here's a review.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=121777&p=2707107#p2707107

I purchased it at $36 dollars. It's not worth the $85 they are asking now, so maybe watch camelcamelcamel for a deal to pop up.
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:36 pm

If you are going to carry 25 or more pounds, consider something with some sort of frame and a waist belt. That will greatly increase the comfort over distance. Something light is better than something heavy, while this forum is well known to love brands like Kifaru and Mystery Ranch, their packs are pretty heavy.

Look at discount outdoor websites or your local sporting goods shops and see what they have. For fishing it's easy enough to through a tackle box inside any pack, or perhaps even attach it to the outside. If you are going to use in summer months pay attention to reviews regarding ventilation against the pack.

There are lots of great brands that make lightweight hiking packs- Marmot, Kelty and Osprey are all brands I've used and have appreciated. There are tons of other great brands as well, of course.

Good luck!
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:46 pm

I think I might have been the guy that talked SCBrian into getting and reviewing the Amazon Basics frame pack. I agree that if you can get an inexpensive pack for $40 or so, there's something to be said about going that route to learn what you like and don't like feature-wise. Here's one current low cost option:

https://gun.deals/product/la-police-gea ... textlapg10 Disclaimer: I know nothing about this particular pack.

I will also agree with Pistol Pete that if you're talking about a multi-day trip with camping and fishing gear, you definitely want a frame pack; something designed to efficiently transfer a significant portion of the load from your shoulders to your hips. I'm partial to internal versus external frame packs, but that's just me.

One final tip: cheap pack or high end: if it's loaded, don't lift it off the ground by grabbing one of the shoulder straps. Discipline yourself to lift it off the ground using the haul loop (that webbing strap affixed to the main body of the pack between the tops of the shoulder straps). That's a best pratice that'll greatly lengthen the service life of whatever quality pack you own.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:28 pm

You have great advice from some experienced people.

How much experience do you have camping?

My thoughts:

1) Think about what you want to carry. Then go carry it for a few weekend camping trips around your area. THEN go camping/fishing. Also, get rid of anything you did not use during your camping trip. (we can help with packing lists, if needed)

2) Once you have a little experience with carrying some stuff in the woods, get on ebay or Craiglist and find a pack that is 10 years old from a good company and lightly used. I'm pretty sure my pack was someone's bugout bag that sat in a closet and then got donated to a local St. Vincent when they upgraded.

With my current knowledge, experience, and the current weather in my area, I could pack my $25 Swiss Gear pack (got it at an outlet) and go fishing for 48 hrs (2 nights, 3 "days"). That thing is probably around 20-25 liters capacity. My 20L Ospray would be more comfortable. But "knowledge" and "experience" and some choices of gear can greatly reduce what is carried and how big a pack is needed.

Also, I suck at fishing, so don't trust any packing list I make which includes fishing supplies.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:45 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:28 pm
2) Once you have a little experience with carrying some stuff in the woods, get on ebay or Craiglist and find a pack that is 10 years old from a good company and lightly used. I'm pretty sure my pack was someone's bugout bag that sat in a closet and then got donated to a local St. Vincent when they upgraded.
That's great advice. Lots of people buy stuff and then never or barely use it and you can save a bunch of money.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:10 pm

camper mike wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:40 am
Perfect backpacking comes with experience also and the main problem we would have how to fit folding stools are chairs. need to think of that any ideas folks ? the best way to fit it in backpack?
My first thought is to look for some alternatives

Search "Bushcraft chair" and look at the images. Buy or make something like what you see. I'd post pics but I'm on a phone and having issues finding a pic the right size.

Second thought: put it on the top or bottom of your pack, as close to your back as possible. Probably horizontal.

I'd be interested in what others say.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:41 am

camper mike wrote:
Perfect backpacking comes with experience also and the main problem we would have how to fit folding stools are chairs. need to think of that any ideas folks ? the best way to fit it in backpack?
I've always been one to use a camp pad or a piece of footprint to sit on, however, some do choose to carry a backpacking chair (example, not a recommendation) : https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail- ... /338748186
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:13 am

SCBrian wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:41 am
camper mike wrote:
I've always been one to use a camp pad or a piece of footprint to sit on, however, some do choose to carry a backpacking chair (example, not a recommendation) : https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail- ... /338748186
I have the Helinox, what that Ozark Trails is clearly a copy of. I use it for motorcycle camping. Light as it is, I would never consider taking it backpacking. The whole point of backpacking is living a minimalist existence. People somehow managed without purpose-built seating appliances for tens of thousands of years. If you can't find a dry patch of ground, sunny rock or downed tree to park your butt, you're in the wrong outdoor endeavor.

This is the most I would ever consider for actual backpacking (and to date, I have not) https://www.crazycreek.com/hex-2-0-original-chair/

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:28 am

to sit off the ground when backpacking have you considered a nylon hammock?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:31 pm

emclean wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:28 am
In the field, nothing beats a hammock!

NOTHING :D

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:20 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:31 pm
emclean wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:28 am
In the field, nothing beats a hammock!

NOTHING :D
Agreed!

Right now I'm rocking an LA police gear big boy, and have another GI surplus modular frame.

Haven't actually been able to test either out, but that's what moose season is for
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Corbeau

Post by Corbeau » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:56 pm

I currently use Osprey Atmos AG 65 Men's Survival Backpack, the best backpack I have used so far. It is a matter of preference though.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:47 pm

Corbeau wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:56 pm
I currently use Osprey Atmos AG 65 Men's Survival Backpack, the best backpack I have used so far. It is a matter of preference though.
Welcome to ZS! Please stop by Introductions and tell us what brings you to our 'lil corner of the web :)

Return to “Other Gear”