What is the best/most durable pair of boots/shoes you have RIGHT NOW...

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

PathofPain
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (original)

What is the best/most durable pair of boots/shoes you have RIGHT NOW...

Post by PathofPain » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:28 pm

Thought this might be a fun topic and encourage some of us to either take stock or get out that brush and leather care.

I've got a pair of black leather Red Wing 607s that I found at a thrift store for $9 about a year ago. No complaints, they are awesome. Not quite a traditional Goodyear Welt type construction, but still I have found them durable. They are a little roomy inside, but it is nice because they don't chafe and there is room for an extra pair of socks if I need the additional insulation. The don't have a protective toe, but have been a good, solid boot. The sole has a decent texture, which is not as aggressive as a hiking boot, but not as smooth and slippery as a 'heritage' work boot. I've been able to wear them all day and my feet don't feel too tired at the end of the day.

Other than that, all the other footwear I've got is kaput for SHTF.

Take good care of your boots, and they'll take good care of you.

What have you got right this moment?

Lettuce Pray
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: 40th and Plumb-- 40 miles from nowhere and plumb out of sight

Re: What is the best/most durable pair of boots/shoes you have RIGHT NOW...

Post by Lettuce Pray » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:08 pm

Probably the best overall boots I own are the two pairs of 11 1/2N black leather combat boots the army issued me almost 20 years ago. If I had to survive the zombie apocalypse I would likely use them.

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:14 pm

I live on my feet, I own 1 pair of 'shoes' (standard men's slip on dress shoes I use as house shoes) everything else is boots.
For a pull on boot, Double H ice sole square steel toe boots Outlast everything I've ever tried. I get 6 to 8 months typically with red wings, wolverine durashocks and ariats both usually make a full year. Justins have been very hit or miss - either junk inside of 3 months or on par with ariats.
I tend to lean more towards pull ons, lace ups are reserved for specific tasks - so keep in mind my results with these are not based on 365 use and the situations I encounter are not routine for most people.
Lace ups (and zips):
Hiax USAR hero - has lasted through hell. Lots of walking in active fire grounds, rough country hiking, climbing around junk vehicles and damaged structures.
I'm still on my first pair of these after destroying a couple pairs of danners and Bates. They are a bit on the heavy side, and I could do with a bit less insulation in the summer - but the weight just helps prep for leg day and while they do run warm in the summer the wicking materials inside do an admirable job of keeping everything fresh and dry.
5.11 atacs - I reserve these for all day EMS wear. They are the lightest footwear I own for outside use. I've gone through 3 pair in 5 - 6 years. They also get called to serve for any extensive climbing. One of my occasional work duties involves climbing towers from 90 to 330 ft. All external steel ladder work in full harness. The 5.11's provide excellent ankle support and a well padded arch with just enough heel to lock in but not enough to cause any issues walking steel.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:40 pm

Black Wolverine safety-toed leather boots. I got 'em on sale at Academy about a year and a half ago. The toe cap is a bit narrow, but otherwise they're great boots.

I've been a fan of boots or high-tops for anything other than plain flat walking (e.g. urban) since I was young, I think because my ankle's a bit mucked up from soccer and the upper helps keep everything lined up right.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:54 pm

I've spent 3 Alaskan winters in my Sorel Caribous. Still look brand new. But puffy boots don't get abused too much in soft snow.

Toughest? Probably my Danner Powderhorns. Good all season boots, tough as nails. Not too warm, but not too hot. Not light but not heavy. Good all around boots if I had only one.

But my summer boots are Oakley's... Comfy and light, but very fragile. Switching them out with LAPG cheapos which I'm very pleased with overall.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

darmstrong

Post by darmstrong » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:57 pm

I've got a pair of Bate's Durashocks on right now that are 2 months old and 2 pair of Danner's Sierra. One pair of Sierra's is 25 years old and the other is unknown. I think if I resoled the 25 year old pair, they'd last at least another 5-10 years. My other pair has a minor hole in the canvas, so I don't know how long they'd live under abuse.
In order to succeed you must first survive.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:45 pm

My USMC RATs. I figure they have 12-18 months of daily use left in the soles. They are fairly tough. Definitely the toughest of what I have left after an explosion of mould killed a bunch of my gear.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:02 pm

Moved the topic to the correct area for gear posts.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:07 pm

Best, most durable pair I’ve ever owned are a pair of Danner “winter” boots I had issued just before I started flying the “ice” missions down to Antarctica (based out of Christchurch, NZ) back in the early 90s. I wound up wearing those pretty much continuously throughout my career until we switched to the tan desert boot for all uniforms some time around 2015. Had them resoled at least twice...still look new(ish)

Gathering dust in the attic now that I’m retired...just wear running shoes that last me maybe 6 months no matter how much I spend on them to work now. Those Danners are still in my pile of INCH gear alongside my old foot locker though.

Damn fine pair of boots...
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:28 pm

That I actually wear, or that I just own?

If the former then it's a pair of Keen hikers, if the latter it's a pair of Danner hikers.

Because of a knee that can't flex when I walk I have to have extreme flexibility in that ankle, something I can't do with boots that go past the ankle bones, so 4"-6" hikers work for me. If I had my druthers (and functional knees) I'd probably have several different pairs for different tasks, some to the knee, some lower.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Andy in NH

Post by Andy in NH » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:25 pm

Boots: Danner Acadia.
Shoes: Merrill Moab 2 Ventilator
Any fool can be uncomfortable in the field.

I live vicariously through my own memories.

Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

moab

Post by moab » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:44 pm

I had a fair collection of Danners. Since their $20 referral program back in the day. I bought a bunch of boots for myself and family. But most were unpractical. And I sold them. Or they were boots that were already replicated in my small collection.

I had a pair of $300 Danner USAF boots. But now I have a pair of slightly used Mcrae(sp?) green suede USAF issue boots. That are just about the same. Leather upper and Vibram sole. But I bought the Mcraes for $20 someplace along time ago. I was in the Marine Corps. But I like the green the USAF boots come in. They have vibram soles. And I have no doubt they would last a good long time in a PAW. I have not worn them much (except to break them in for myself). But they are with my INCH stuff. If I had to walk a long ways I'd take them. Just for sheer longevity. I wish the MArines had a green boot. As the RAT boots look hella uncomfortable. But that's just based on looks. I've never tried them on. They look very stiff.

I have two pairs of Merrells just over the ankle height hiking boots. I use the term boots lightly. lol. One is leather and the other is the Moab Ventilators.

What do I want to get? I'd probably like to have two boots. The Keen hikers. Since my toenails have healed more. HAd a bad problem for years with them. And the solid rubber toe in the Keens always looked like it would hurt. But not anymore. The second pair would be Danner Mountain Light traditional hiking boots that ride just above the ankle? The old fashioned hiking boot I should say. they come with vibram soles and are all leather. For distance and for hiking or hunting in rough terrain.

These are the Danners. They are a $380 boot. And I only have $180 left in Danner dollars. So I'm waiting for them to go on sale. They really are a lifetime boot. If you can still get vibram soles replaced. You used to be able to do that years ago. I don't know if that's the same today. I have not tried.

https://www.danner.com/men/hike/mtn-light.html

I used to have a couple pair of old black combat boots from when I was in. I would not recommend those. They wear out the soles pretty fast. And they are not that comfortable. For the same cheap price you can get issue USAF boots with Vibram soles. Which I much prefer. And are much more comfortable. Same goes for Jungle boots. Those are so hard and uncomfortable. I would not wish those on anyone either. Boots have evolved a lot. Get a good set of Danners and have them resoled as need be. Something in full leather too. Danner makes a bunch of more modern boots. But they look like they would last less than a year.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:32 pm

I've had pretty good luck with the Herman Survivors brand boots from Walmart. They're only like 60 bucks, but my last pair lasted me over seven years until they wore out to the point of being unusable. That's seven years of daily wear and little to no maintenance.

I'm hoping my current pair will last just as long.

darmstrong

Post by darmstrong » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:34 pm

I've had pretty good luck with the Herman Survivors brand boots from Walmart. They're only like 60 bucks, but my last pair lasted me over seven years until they wore out to the point of being unusable. That's seven years of daily wear and little to no maintenance.
Ok, I have to ask, which style of boot made it that long? I've looked at the Hunting Boots with 400g thinsulate and considered them for the winter months, but I hate to throw good money after a product that would fail in a short period of time.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:01 am

darmstrong wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:34 pm
Ok, I have to ask, which style of boot made it that long? I've looked at the Hunting Boots with 400g thinsulate and considered them for the winter months, but I hate to throw good money after a product that would fail in a short period of time.
I believe the style or model was called the "Big Timber II". It's one of the construction or work boots the brand makes.

I used to wear the engineer slip on work boots with the buckle strap, but they seem to have discontinued that particular style. Those were pretty good as well.

darmstrong

Post by darmstrong » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:28 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:01 am
I believe the style or model was called the "Big Timber II". It's one of the construction or work boots the brand makes.
Thanks, I'll have to look at them when I'm ready for a new pair of boots.

Lettuce Pray
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: 40th and Plumb-- 40 miles from nowhere and plumb out of sight

Post by Lettuce Pray » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:08 pm

darmstrong wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:28 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Just be sure to get boots that actually FIT. And be sure to put them thru their paces before having to depend on them. While my old black combat boots are old technology, they fit my narrow foot well and I have many miles on them with a pack on. Add some Darn Tough socks and I am good to go.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:11 pm

darmstrong wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
No problem.

They're a bit stiff when you first start using them, but they break in pretty quickly. Then again, I've found most brands are like that, so it's not really limited to that brand.

moab

Post by moab » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:12 pm

Lettuce Pray wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:08 pm
darmstrong wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Just be sure to get boots that actually FIT. And be sure to put them thru their paces before having to depend on them. While my old black combat boots are old technology, they fit my narrow foot well and I have many miles on them with a pack on. Add some Darn Tough socks and I am good to go.
The only wool socks I still have left are Darn Tough. They are great socks and don't wear out like others.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:09 pm

My Red Wing 401 Steel Toed Work boots. These boots lasted 5 years of extremely heavy usage at the railroad walking on every nasty type of terrain available in Missouri and Kansas, in all kinds of weather. I still use them to this day. I leave them permanently inside my LaCrosse Overshoe's. It eliminates the hassle of trying to take the overshoes on and off a pair of boots wet with snow.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:04 pm

Brekar wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:09 pm
My Red Wing 401 Steel Toed Work boots. These boots lasted 5 years of extremely heavy usage at the railroad walking on every nasty type of terrain available in Missouri and Kansas, in all kinds of weather. I still use them to this day. I leave them permanently inside my LaCrosse Overshoe's. It eliminates the hassle of trying to take the overshoes on and off a pair of boots wet with snow.
You have to applaud Redwing for leaving all reviews up on their site - good and bad. Did you read the reviews? Some satisfied customers and some very not satisfied. lol. I'm trying to remember a site this well known and this honest about their products. I've always held that brand in high regard. Not as high as Danner. But a good quality boot. I have never owned a pair though.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:47 pm

My most durable boots I have at the moment are Carolina 905 Linesman boots. I've had them for a few years and they are holding up very well. The extra cap on the toe helps with a wear point.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Return to “Other Gear”