Vortex optics

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Fiesaqa

Vortex optics

Post by Fiesaqa » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:45 am

Got a question about Vortex optics. Have any of you used them? What is your opinion on them? I shoot a .22-250 at coyotes. Looking to upgrade the scope on it. I had asked a question earlier this year but never got around to buying one and changing it, so I am going to wait until next year to mount it, sight it in, etc, etc. The particular model I am looking at is the Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x50. Just wondering if any of you have used this particular model or any of the Vortex brand scopes and what is your opinion on them. If you have used them and don't like them, why and what you recommend for somebody?

Thanks guys

boskone

Re: Vortex optics

Post by boskone » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:17 am

I've liked the 2 scopes and 1 RDS from Vortex I've had, though the RDS ended up being a casualty of a corroded battery.

I might dial down your magnification a bit; 4x, in my opinion at least, was a bit much for shots under 100-150 yards. I might get a 1-6 or 2-7 optic instead. One rule of thumb I read somewhere, which was pretty accurate in my experience (and preferences) is 1x per hundred yards for hunting, 0.5x per hundred yards for target shooting.

You might look into an optic with an illuminated reticle. At least around where I grew up coyote shooting was mostly an evening activity, and sometimes the reticle would get "shadowed out"; an illuminated dot helps with that. Vortex sells some illuminated reticles, and I have a Primary Arms that's nice.

(Primary Arms is a company I've dealt with several times; their scopes don't have all the bells and whistles of higher-end brands but the built quality has been solid, the prices reasonable, and the customer service spectacular.)

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:53 pm

My buddy, a former sniper, really likes the Vortex optics. He even recommends them over Red Field.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:12 pm

the few vortex optics I have used have massively underwhelmed me on optical clarity and light transmission, mostly they were just a lot less bright and clear then other scopes. If the warranty is the first thing people mention when lauding a product, I take that as a bad sign. Supposedly the higher end Vortex scopes are much better, but I'm leery.

Really the single best thing you can do is go to a larger sporting goods store and look through every scope in your price range. while absolute clarity is hard to determine inside a store, relative clarity is. I find I can pretty quickly narrow my options down to just a few scopes or binos after one trip if I do my part.

I will second the Primary Arms recommendation, my brother has one and my brief inspection lead me to believe the optical clarity was on par with much higher end scopes.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:15 pm

I have a Vortex Viper 6-24x50. I've had it for about three years. It replaced a ~15 year old Springfield Armory scope. Nothing has broken. I have heard mixed things about Vortex scopes but I love mine. The glass is a lot more clear and bright. the reticle is great. The controls are easy to see and use. It does everything I need. Sadly I bought it towards the end of the Gen1 scopes and it has the older reticle. I'd like the newer one but not enough to trade.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:56 pm

Big fan of my UH-1 "EOtech" beater from Vortex. It's heavy but feels robust and survived some drops.

I like the reticle - donut of death, 2moa dot and a close range triangle (don't need it but doesn't distract)
Man is a beast of prey

gary83

Post by gary83 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:54 am

I have the Vortex viper pst ffp. Its clarity is impressive.

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:57 pm

I have a Vortex Strike Fire red dot on my AR, which I love, and two Vortex Crossfire II's on my 30-06, and .300 Win Mag Bolt guns, and I love them all. Most of the way built on an AR-10, have a crappy TASCO on it now, as soon as funds allow, I will have another Vortex on it

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:24 pm

I've used them. I do not own one. I had everything I needed by the time they entered the market.
They are a good company. Their products are rugged and more in line economically with what most shooters want to spend, from low to high end.
If you look to what many of the competition long-gunners are using you'll see a lot of Vortex optics. Good customer service.

I'd also offer that in terms of finding your dream optic -you must decide- it will be impossible on the internet. I gave up most discussion of the topic over a decade ago. And yep, I've taken some coyotes.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Other Gear”