strange floating backpack

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

flybynight

strange floating backpack

Post by flybynight » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:21 pm

As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: strange floating backpack

Post by raptor » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:29 pm

Unless the back pack markers have perfected an anti gravity device all this will do is add weight to the backpack.

My $.02

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:49 pm

I'm interested. I watched the video and what I'm seeing is that you get less constant compression of the spine or hips as the pack moves up and down with it's own cadence rather than directly with the body. There would probably be a bigger impact with the running than with the walking, and I don't run much with a pack.

I'd have to try one to know for sure how it would impact me. But I can see it being less fatiguing. Nothing though should be able to change the fact that it is a weight on the shoulders and hips. That...that would require rewriting physics. I expect if there is any effect it is in reducing the long-term fatigue and maybe the damage to the back and hips.

Just guesses though.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:30 pm

Any back pack will float if you know how to do it. Only weighs an ounce or two.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:37 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:30 pm
Any back pack will float if you know how to do it. Only weighs an ounce or two.
:shock: :crazy: :awesome:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:03 pm

My take on this:

A) The fact that this is coming in video format and making the rounds on low-effort content curators is your first clue.

B) Regardless of the gains on paper, moving the load further from your COG has a real and tangible effect on carrying efficiency. The floating mechanism likely moves the entire load 2"+ further from your back then an identical pack without.

C) It's likely crazy expensive

4) As raptor pointed out, the gains not only have to win on a per-cost basis, but have to offset the added weight of the system, which is at a guess a LOT. Like 5lbs +

E) There would be a tangible reduction in usable volume for the system, If the entire height of the pack system is 28" (very tall in backpack land) and you needed 8" of travel for the float you could only pack 20" worth of space (pretty short in backpack land).

F) Moving parts on backpacks have a bad history; from the hip beaters on old jansport externals to the pivoting hipbelt on Arcteryx Altra packs, they by all accounts wear faster and fail sooner then comparable "traditional" construction techniques, and the mechanism in this is orders of magnitude more complex then most anything we've put on a pack in the past. If you are direct mounting this to an exo-suit I'd be taking it more seriously, but as a middle man between a traditional pack suspension and a traditional pack bag i don't think that dog will hunt.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:28 am

I would also imagine that the system is weight sensitive. too little and it would stay at the top, too much it would bottom out.

Return to “Other Gear”