Buying a Good Medieval Crossbow

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Wolfblade
Favorite Zombie Movies: The original Romero 'Dead' trilogy, AMC's The Walking Dead
Location: The United States of America, North America, Holy Terra, Sol, The Milky Way Galaxy

Buying a Good Medieval Crossbow

Post by Wolfblade » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:04 pm

A bit of a shot in the dark, but could any of the esteemed archers of this forum provide me some pointers in purchasing a proper functional crossbow built in medieval fashion?

I've seen the models on By-The-Sword and the like for around $200, but I'd like to know whether these are actually decent, and whether I should simply save the money for a piece from say, New World Arbalest.
Kommander wrote:
Cpt. MelonBuster wrote: If you put an AR stock on an AK Kalashnikov himself will show up at your house and beat you with a vodka bottle.

Lightly
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland. Podcasts: Dead Mech, We're Still Alive, Fried Green Zombies.

Re: Buying a Good Medieval Crossbow

Post by Lightly » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:03 am

I am not unbiased! And, I am the Journeyperson to David Watson at New World Arbalest. Of course, I recommend that you save and buy one from us! We do authentic designs, and we have a lifetime guarantee.

I hope to make a "Zombie Bow" available in the next year, which, will be one of our patterns, (the western 2C) but, with a few extras. In my copious spare time... Heh!

But, I have been asked so often.... so, it may be time to whip up a few, see how they fly...

Best!

Lightly

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:39 am

Here's the link to the maker Lightly works for.

http://www.crossbows.net/index.php

To my untrained eyes those period crossbows look very well made and seem like a bargain for $220 to $415 before various upgrades.

gallowglas

Post by gallowglas » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:10 pm

I can vouch for Lightly's work. I purchased one that she had made. The work is good and the communication with the company/maker is excellent.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:42 pm

I was going to say "New World Arbalest" but ... well ... see above. :)

I do not own one yet. I know some old SCA friends of mine that have one or two. Well liked. Some would say "the only game in town", but when I say that I mean that in the most positive way.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:26 pm

well thank a lot. i was wondering where i could find one of those,

i really love their design and they look affordable.

200Lb crossbow would be great. i want one.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Wolfblade
Favorite Zombie Movies: The original Romero 'Dead' trilogy, AMC's The Walking Dead
Location: The United States of America, North America, Holy Terra, Sol, The Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Wolfblade » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:27 pm

So pleasant to return and find this thread had finally been answered! :mrgreen: Looks like New World Arbalest will be going on my list for when I finally have the funds.
Kommander wrote:
Cpt. MelonBuster wrote: If you put an AR stock on an AK Kalashnikov himself will show up at your house and beat you with a vodka bottle.

Stonedog

Post by Stonedog » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:53 am

Buy the components from Alchem or another like company and build your own....it's fun, gets you the crossbow and you can be proud of doing it!

Plus, it saves you money!

gallowglas

Post by gallowglas » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:14 pm

Rather than start a new thread.

This is the crossbow I got from New World Arbelest. My husband finally finished the display/storage for it. It is a little weird since the only place that had a spot to hang it was by my bed.

(hope I got the "sharing" thing right on google + if not just message me and I will give permission)

https://plus.google.com/photos/11770725 ... 7912703733" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

candi Cabaniss

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:59 pm

Seems an eminently sensible place to keep it, cross bow quarrels are on the quintessential Medieval ladies grocery list from the Paston Letters.

How's it shoot?
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

gallowglas

Post by gallowglas » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:47 pm

It shoots fine.

I am having a blast shooting it.

Crossbows are different from rifles in that it jumps rather than kicks.

My neighbors sent their friend to shoot it and they are somewhat handy, as it my husband, so they are discussing making on, or a slingshot crossbow.

Return to “Other Weapons”