Zombie go boom- youtube video

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Zombie go boom- youtube video

Post by azrael99 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:29 pm

i just found out about those guy's today.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieGoBoomTV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They pretty much just take random object and try them as a weapon again the undead, they do it by using plastic skull made of a material as hard as a real skull. and smash it and see what happen. they do use real weapons too.

Don't forget that this show is for entertainment only, and should not be taking seriously (even as epic some result are)

since they used mostly low budget weapons they seem to prefer Cold steel (for their lowprice / high quality product)

here some of them

The spike warclub

Louisville baseball bat
[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI1wvHOi ... ature=plcp[/YouTube]

The Katana

The chainsaw V.S the machete
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Re: Zombie go boom- youtube video

Post by azrael99 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:09 pm

either someone already talked about this, or it doesn't interest anyone
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:28 am

Sorry, I was entranced by Frances. This looks fun too do, but they need something to simulated skin (the skulls break apart far too easily, though I guess the trauma is the same.)
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:39 pm

they use ballistic gel, which have the same density than flesh. skin is not really a big variable. specially on the skull. that probably where the skin is the most thin.

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:48 pm

they got some others interesting video

JoergS

Post by JoergS » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:58 pm

As much as I think that all the weapons they show could do the job if handled right, I doubt the appropriativity of their "test head".

I have plenty of experience with ballistic gel, it resembles a raw hunk of lean meat. Lean meat is pretty tender, you can stab it with your finger. It offers NO resitance against a sharp object penetrating it slowly.

Skin and the layer of fat with blood vessels offer MUCH more resitance than that gel. My tests with pig's cheeks clearly prove that. Plus, the plastic skull they use breaks too easily. I tested this with leg bones from cattle, the stuff is hard.

I think a pig's head would be far more applicable. Yes, it would be harder to break than a human skull, but then again IF it breaks you are on the safe side. Which is what you want, right?

My test skull - a 40mm particle board - would not have been penetrated all the way through by the screwdriver and the rock. Not even a Katana can smash it with one stroke. But the Zombie Hammer can.

Don't get me wrong, I like the show. Sexy ladies, weapons, gore - pretty much perfect, minus the right test setup.
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/JoergSprave" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My blog: http://www.slingshotchannel.blogspot.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My forum: http://www.theslingshotforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:31 pm

i think even if their skulls are *maybe* weaker than real one. if the fake one finish smashed completely i think it could be safe to assume that it will at least break a real one.

JoergS

Post by JoergS » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:24 pm

I do not generally disagree, but their skulls seem to be completely hollow with no bone structure inside. More like Halloween toys than real skull models.

My wife is just completing med school and she has books with typical injuries from crime cases. The fatal head injuries from heavy blows with hard blunt objects look much different. More like a cave-in than an explosion of tissue and blood.

Again, I like the show, but I would like it even more if their "heads" would be more realistic. It leaves a cheesy aftertaste the way it is right now.
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/JoergSprave" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My blog: http://www.slingshotchannel.blogspot.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My forum: http://www.theslingshotforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:53 am

if you know where they could finds skull that would be with a density as close as the real one you should send them a message to tell them .they will probably be really happy to be able to do test that would be as close as the real thing and give more realistic data.

JoergS

Post by JoergS » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:16 am

I'd use piglet skulls. YOu can get those from most butchers. The only reason why I am not using those in my own videos is because that goes to far for my taste. But these guys have no such qualms, obviously.

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:18 am

there is probably a question of budget too and logistic, the store where they get their skull have plenty of them. the butcher in another hand probably don't have many pig head and/or pig skull.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:36 pm

The whole skull analog and damage thing reminded me of a story I saw on the news a few years back. A young man was shot in the head with a .357 magnum round and his head didn't explode like it would in a typical Hollywood film or even a high budget YouTube video. Instead, his head caved in where the round pretty much turned his brain into jelly. The young man survived, but with limited function.

In the real world, skulls don't explode like they do in the Zombie Go Boom videos. Like JoergS said, they tend to more so cave in.

I like the show and I look forward to seeing more from these guys. I'd also like to see a more accurate skull testing model.

It shouldn't be that hard to obtain a few pigs heads for testing purposes.

HuntingBow96

Post by HuntingBow96 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:46 pm

I love the show, To be honest I agree, I don't think the skull is as hard or has the same thickness of a human skull. But I think the weapons they test and the points they get out of using and testing them are very valid points.

drewder
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: White Zombie (1932 Bella Lugosi)
Dawn of the Dead (new and original)
Day of the Dead
Night of the Living Dead
The Return of the Living Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2 (dead by dawn)
Army of Darkness
Grindhouse
Planet Terror
28 days later
28 Weeks Later
I am Legend
The FOG (original, the remake sucked ass)
Resident Evil (the Saga)
Silent Hill
The Phantasm (the SAGA)
Friday the 13th (from start to finish)
Pet Sematary
Night of the Comet

Post by drewder » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:56 pm

I started watching it a long time ago (like their first 7 episodes), but I really wasn't getting much from it.
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

*even the wise man dwells in a fool's paradise

Survived ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon X
Survived ZombieCon X
Stayed toasty warm at ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon Twenty Eleven
Barely survived ZombieCon 2011

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:03 pm

To me, it looks like the skulls the ZGB guys are using are made from really thin plastic or something like that.

I noticed in a few episodes they used "blood" filled coconuts and that seemed to be a much better testing medium than the skulls.

JoergS

Post by JoergS » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:52 pm

HuntingBow96 wrote:I love the show, To be honest I agree, I don't think the skull is as hard or has the same thickness of a human skull. But I think the weapons they test and the points they get out of using and testing them are very valid points.
My thoughts exactly.

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:37 pm

they should use the coconut into ballistic gel more often. and use thicker skull. like twice the thickness and it should be good. if the tool pass both test, then it could get the ZGB approvals

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:46 pm

azrael99 wrote:they should use the coconut into ballistic gel more often. and use thicker skull. like twice the thickness and it should be good. if the tool pass both test, then it could get the ZGB approvals
I agree that using a thicker skull, and possibly a different material since it appears that the current skulls are made of really thin plastic, would make for much better and realistic results.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:37 pm

Their recent Bud K catalog promo for the tomahawks made me loose a lot of respect for them. Bud K sells a lot of cheap crap and is a joke for serious weapons enthusiasts.

They definately have some entertaining stuff though.

Like Mythbusters and deadliest warrior they just don't quite do it right. But honestly at least they are trying and getting more accurate info than people just sitting on the computer trying to judge how something will work.

I have been curious about their skull anolog. What is it really, how do we know it has true strength consistency of human bone, etc.

One thing I know from a sword forum I frequent is there is a big difference between old dead bone and live bone. You can cut through live bone fairly easily, while dead bone is brittle and hard more likely to shatter. So are the ZGB skulls live bone or dead bone? A zombie should have dead bone right? So it should be brittle and hard. A sword can easily cut through a live bone skull or arm, but would have issues with a dead bone of glancing off or just shattering it.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:50 pm

as said before, this show is more............for the show. it is fun to watch, but they lack in more "serious" test and taste in specific "weapons" . i admit that the last tomahawk test was kinda weird. i'm not sure about the overall quality of it. for the price you can be sure i would prefer a CS tomahawk with a good old hickory handle (which you can buy spare handle for cheap........if you can break the hickory handle) for a cheaper price.

they started to look less "pro" with the annihillator crowbar. i have it and would not recommend it.

sar5

Post by sar5 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:40 am

Az, thanks or posting these I have seen them before but they are always a fun watch.

I appreciate the post

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:21 pm

*zombie skull update*

they will start to use better made zombie head

werepig

Post by werepig » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:56 pm

I just fell in love with this youtube channel.
Weapon: Cold Steel Gladius. Partner: Olivia Wilde. Them Song: Clint Mansell - Requiem for a Dream Remix!

I prep for zombies, because I like shooty-stabby things,and for the lulz.

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:28 pm

yup

and they got a new video too

and as i said on another forum (too lazy to retype it)
and my point of view of it:

while some would be disappointed that they didn't manage to make a big chunk of skull flying in one shot, it still manage to cut 4 inchs deep from a vertical swing to the top of the head and the cut was from the front of the head to the back, and that would be enough to make one dead Zack

but it still manage to do a half decapitation with the frontal hit

unfortunately they didn't manage to do a one swing decapitation(still manage to cut the 2/3 of the neck). but i think , if they did the swung at the back of the neck they would had manage to cut the spine in one shot

, you don't need to do a full decapitation, if you destroy the spine the Zack become unarmed , just curb stomp it and it's over.
they also left the factory edge too. they didn't sharpen it. and as you know that one of the defect of cold steel machete, they don't come as sharp from the factory as they can be.

it still easy to do so, and with a steel file and a ceramic stone it would not take that much time too.

so it could have been sharper so it could have been more effective.

Return to “Other Weapons”