Fixed blade knife for SHTF

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

praharin

Re: Fixed blade knife for SHTF

Post by praharin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:02 pm

ForgeCorvus wrote:Speedy, Thats fine as a dedicated fighter (subject to local laws, double edged) but its pants as a utility blade.

The OP asked for a general purpose fixed blade

Sorry, my post sounds a bit snotty, not how its supposed to read
I'm not 100% sure what "it's pants" means, but I think sometimes people put down double edged knives more than they should. Anything knifey (knives are for cutting) you want to do you can do twice as much with an equivalent double edged blade. Now, there are some secondary tasks that people often use knives for that the second edge can hinder.

I do prefer a single edge, but I think I could walk into the woods with a nice double edged knife and come out alright. This one for example:

http://www.amazon.com/Ontario-Knife-Sti ... B000I7OBPA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Biggin wrote:praharin can be an insufferable dick

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Post by Turtlewolf » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:12 pm

Now that is a dagger Iike, but mind you I've owned no fewer than 3 S&W boot knives and all have been good blades-but certainly not good carvinf blades.
cheers
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

Winston Smith
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Winston Smith » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:11 pm

I like this one that I got in the PX @ Ft. Hood about 8 years ago. Nice Blood Grooves on both sides, razor sharp, and made right up the road...
*BloodbathPB prior to 4JUN2012*

"To you it's JP8. To me it's a hallucinogen."-PV2 Winston Smith, Tikrit, Iraq 2003

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:13 pm

BloodbathPB wrote:I like this one that I got in the PX @ Ft. Hood about 8 years ago. Nice Blood Grooves on both sides, razor sharp, and made right up the road...
Thats not the one I have but since when were any S&W knives made this side of the great water?
cheers

Winston Smith
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Winston Smith » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:19 pm

By my research, at least some of the S&W knives are made in the USA. I can't tell if all are made here, or where specifically, but I don't see why they couldn't be made right in the huge building the guns are made in. If you have some other info, please share.

"To you it's JP8. To me it's a hallucinogen."-PV2 Winston Smith, Tikrit, Iraq 2003

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:43 pm

BloodbathPB wrote:By my research, at least some of the S&W knives are made in the USA. I can't tell if all are made here, or where specifically, but I don't see why they couldn't be made right in the huge building the guns are made in. If you have some other info, please share.
S&W Firearms is not Taylor Brands, which makes the knives.
They own Schrade as well but easily 90% or more of thier knives are Chinese, too my knowledge no S&W are American-the guns are but the knives are S&W in name only.
cheers

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:00 pm

praharin wrote:I'm not 100% sure what "it's pants" means, but I think sometimes people put down double edged knives more than they should. Anything knifey (knives are for cutting) you want to do you can do twice as much with an equivalent double edged blade. Now, there are some secondary tasks that people often use knives for that the second edge can hinder.

I do prefer a single edge, but I think I could walk into the woods with a nice double edged knife and come out alright.
It's probably less of an issue of utility and more of an issue of double edged knives being illegal in most States in the US.

Double edged knives are great, but if they're illegal to carry then that means that most people are going to avoid the hell out of them. I'm sure that they're probably legal to carry in some locations (seems like there would HAVE TO be somewhere), but I can't think of any offhand and every place that I've ever lived they were illegal (usually a felony).

Don't really have a point to make besides this....just saying that it kind of limits their usefulness.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:07 am

Knives are generaly a local law, in Canada it is legal to carry whatever you want for a blade unless a local town or city says other. As long as it isn't concealed.
Gravity and automatic knives are the only ones which federal law says are illegal.
cheers

JRJ

Post by JRJ » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:06 am

praharin wrote: I'm sorry, but if the knife can't do both to a reasonable degree, it's not suitable as a survival knife. I can do (and have done) both with a stumpy tang, super thin Mora or a full tang, 1/4" thick Strider. ESEE knives, which you linked to, are fully capable of cleaning game. Now you don't need a knife to skin anything if you do it right, but on the same note, any knife can skin game if you aren't worried about preserving the hide. If you're using a knife, expect to ruin the hide; you'll save yourself a lot of disappointment much of the time that way.

I actually had a hard time working squirrels with an ESEE. Meh.

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:01 am

JRJ wrote:
praharin wrote: I'm sorry, but if the knife can't do both to a reasonable degree, it's not suitable as a survival knife. I can do (and have done) both with a stumpy tang, super thin Mora or a full tang, 1/4" thick Strider. ESEE knives, which you linked to, are fully capable of cleaning game. Now you don't need a knife to skin anything if you do it right, but on the same note, any knife can skin game if you aren't worried about preserving the hide. If you're using a knife, expect to ruin the hide; you'll save yourself a lot of disappointment much of the time that way.

Take the squirrel, tear skin at base of neck, pull skin away from neck to tail and twist tail off. Open squirrel with fingers and set aside insides. No knife realy needed for small game most times.
Yes I've done this, with game up to chickens and rabbits.
cheers

praharin

Post by praharin » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:28 am

JRJ wrote:

Really? Maybe you need more practice...

Turtlewolf wrote: Take the squirrel, tear skin at base of neck, pull skin away from neck to tail and twist tail off. Open squirrel with fingers and set aside insides. No knife realy needed for small game most times.
Yes I've done this, with game up to chickens and rabbits.
cheers
Can you imagine trying to do that with a knife in your hand the whole time?!
Biggin wrote:praharin can be an insufferable dick

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:21 am

I've seen people use box cutters to skin/gut small game. Worked ok.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:56 pm

Praharin you just made my day!
Of course I'm pretty sure you knew I was talking about cleaning small game with no blade at all, which is often quick and safe.
cheers

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:43 pm

I never could get the hang of not using a blade to start the cleaning though. More than just making an incision I mean, I almost always need to open up and peel down the neck before I can do the rest by hand. Guess I'm just too rough on my meat... giggity.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

Paul J
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Romero movies. Others tend to pale in comparison.

Post by Paul J » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:26 pm

Not a "knife guy" here so take this for what it's worth. The unit I grew up in, encouraged us to carry a large knife for SERE, I carried a cold steel recon scout , it, served well in unit training and schools, ( cutting sapplings for hide sites, to skinning deer) Curently, i run a big game guide service and do 90% of the skinning myself, and use what ever knife is in my truck at the time i pick the guys up off the stands. Could be anything from a randall mod 1 to a case trapper. this past year my wife gave me an ESSE 6, i used it on a lot of deer, and it works well. It's also very easy to resharpen. The only reason i mention this is that a lot of folks seem to think you cant skin and butcher game with a large "tactical" knife, In my experience a large knife will do everything that a small knife will do, but a small knife can't do everything a large knife can. If i could only have one knife to accomplish any given task it would be the ESSE 6, YMMV. Good luck.
My M4 kills bugs dead

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:52 pm

Paul J wrote:Not a "knife guy" here so take this for what it's worth. The unit I grew up in, encouraged us to carry a large knife for SERE, I carried a cold steel recon scout , it, served well in unit training and schools, ( cutting sapplings for hide sites, to skinning deer) Curently, i run a big game guide service and do 90% of the skinning myself, and use what ever knife is in my truck at the time i pick the guys up off the stands. Could be anything from a randall mod 1 to a case trapper. this past year my wife gave me an ESSE 6, i used it on a lot of deer, and it works well. It's also very easy to resharpen. The only reason i mention this is that a lot of folks seem to think you cant skin and butcher game with a large "tactical" knife, In my experience a large knife will do everything that a small knife will do, but a small knife can't do everything a large knife can. If i could only have one knife to accomplish any given task it would be the ESSE 6, YMMV. Good luck.
Now days a 6-7" knife isn't realy what people are talking about when they say "big knife."
In all fairness the ESEE6 is a nice, practical design that is a good field blade, as all of the ESEE blades are.
Actualy I don't even consider it a tactical design.
cheers

Paul J
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Romero movies. Others tend to pale in comparison.

Post by Paul J » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:25 pm

TW, kind of see your point, like I said not really a "knife guy" got some nice ones and really appreciate a good knife, but I beleive things have changed in the knife world over the last few years. I now see different categories of knife such as "bushcraft" "camp knives" etc. Being less of a knife enthusiast i kind of narrow things down a bit further, So for me the ESSE would have been plenty "tactical" (ie useful in combat) I do see where you're coming from though, and yeah i guess these days a 6 in blade isnt really a large knife.
My M4 kills bugs dead

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:37 am

Paul J wrote:TW, kind of see your point, like I said not really a "knife guy" got some nice ones and really appreciate a good knife, but I beleive things have changed in the knife world over the last few years. I now see different categories of knife such as "bushcraft" "camp knives" etc. Being less of a knife enthusiast i kind of narrow things down a bit further, So for me the ESSE would have been plenty "tactical" (ie useful in combat) I do see where you're coming from though, and yeah i guess these days a 6 in blade isnt really a large knife.
Isn't it wierd how knives got classified in a hurry?
I remember as a young fellow using my "tactical" Cold Steel Carbon V Recon tanto for everything, but that was ages before the internet and before I understoond that tantos were "mall ninja only."
I also used an Ontario Knife Company Aircrew Survival (model 499) to skin tons of game and carried it for more miles than I care to remember and it was designed as a combat knife.
If a knife works for you it shouldn't matter if the "experts" tell you it is too short or too long, you're knife should be a little bit personal and fir your hand like a nice deerskin glove.
Actualy the "knife" I trust the most is a hatchet, a good one, but most often lately a Fiskars-which cost me all of $25-the new X7 model or as often as not the older 14" model. Both were $25 when I got them.
cheers

Paul J

Post by Paul J » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:08 am

Yeah, no shit. You remember when a Buck 110 was as tactical as a folder could get.... and then spyderco happened. I guess the same thing has happened to guns, a decade ago you could get a carbine, an SMG or a sniper rifle, now you can get an sbr , spr , pdw, or Battle rifle. Don't get me wrong Im not" old school"
I like the best equipment available, I'm just sayin.
My M4 kills bugs dead

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Post by ForgeCorvus » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:12 pm

Praharin, "Pants" is English for "Rather Crap"..... I keep forgetting I'm talking to foreigners :D
And I was pointing out that a lot of places (not just States) have laws against carrying double edged knives, as well as my bias when it comes to having a second edge pointing at you when you are using your chosen bladed tool.

BloodbathPB, That looks like a (slightly uglier ) version of a Fairbairn & Sykes
What do you use it for ? (or aren't you allowed to say )

I'm finding this interesting still
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

Winston Smith
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Winston Smith » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:06 pm

ForgeCorvus wrote:Praharin, "Pants" is English for "Rather Crap"..... I keep forgetting I'm talking to foreigners :D
And I was pointing out that a lot of places (not just States) have laws against carrying double edged knives, as well as my bias when it comes to having a second edge pointing at you when you are using your chosen bladed tool.

BloodbathPB, That looks like a (slightly uglier ) version of a Fairbairn & Sykes
What do you use it for ? (or aren't you allowed to say )

I'm finding this interesting still
That S&W is quite a bit shorter than the knife you showed (I believe that is an old issue British Army issued fighting knife, no?) I think the blade on it is only about 4 inches. As a military boot knife, the S&W was one of 3 I kept on me(CRKT M16 Tanto next to my belt buckle, and my old style bayonet on my web gear were the others)along with my 2 Gerber tools. Admittedly not to useful for woodscraft, but there's not much woods in Iraq. :wink: My mentality was the more knives you have on you, the better chance you'll have access to one when you really need it.

It just stays in a drawer now which is legal in CT.

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:54 pm

This is my everyday carry and i love it.

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-211359.html
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

Murph

Post by Murph » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:29 pm

74_or_more wrote:This is my everyday carry and i love it.

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-211359.html
That's an interesting choice. Did you get some custom kydex cut, or are you still using the original leather?
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:21 am

I use the leather sheath it comes with. It holds up just fine.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

Return to “Other Weapons”