It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:46 pm 

Alrighty...

Well the thread creator already had my choices>_<
Trench Spike+Katana (Or a Tanto in my eyes because its smaller and not curved) or Shaolin Spade

But if I had to have different things I had on me right now, I'd go for either my Swedish made axe (breaking doors and such, may be unwieldy) and one of the machetes my dad has in his shed (Vintage store owner, he's got this stuff overflowing from buying them)

Or one of my wooden swords (I go by the "Fight if I have to" thing), I have two: One 5ft katana size, one 3-3.5ft Tanto size. And my Mora-made knife.

Any suggestions as to other melee, I know about the Spike and Spade and do consider greatly their destructive abilities, Although I have doubts for the spade in a confined space because of its length.

Daryl, over and out

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:55 pm 

Wow, this thread really dates back awhile. But I'll play... For the record, I'm not going to count my knife as a melee weapon. That should be a freebie. Obviously since there is no established specifics... like whether this is a ZPAW, if I'm humping around a gun, or if this is a "Dies the Fire" situation where guns are non existent, I'm just going to be broad.

I own a lot of weapon like objects, but only a handful of items that were designed from the ground up as weapons. I prefer a utilitarian outlook on my tools. If I'm going to buy something, I want to be able to use it for something practical. Given the choice between a premium sword that will only be used for the showing off to friends and the occasional fun time cutting, and a machete I can use on a daily or weekly basis, I'm choosing the machete.

I've put a good amount of hours into the FMA since I was a kid. I also crosstrained a bit on other things, but nothing formal. For instance I had a good buddy who was a kendo fanatic. We would meet up here and there with 2 shinai and 4 escrima sticks, and show each other how the other half lives, and figure what concepts from either we could apply. My method of learning doesn't revolve around specific techniques, as much as adaptability and drawing concepts that can be applied.

So pick number one? A quality and sturdy machete that subs in equally well for on escrima stick or a short sword. It doesn't hurt that I live in machete country, and use one very often.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:28 pm 

If I'm talking about something strictly meant for fighting other mofos with melee weapons... I have an affinity for pole weapons and spears. Halberds, glaives, pikes, pole axes etc...

Here is my train of thought. The thing about most larger swords (katana/bastard sword sized), is that while they can be used one handed from some strikes (if you have the skill/strength), they really are meant to be used with two hands to be effective. That's one reason why I like short swords and sabers so much. As well as it being a style I am accustomed with.

I'm very big into being able to control my distance when I spar. If I am going to be using a weapon that utilizes two hands, I want something that is also going to offer me SIGNIFICANT reach advantages. Even the legendary Musashi Miyamoto knew and preached this. He used big ass bokens instead of swords in many of his duels, because of the advantages they offer. The only time he didn't win a duel was against a guy using a similar concept, armed with a 4ft (jo) staff.

Swords get all the glory, but people forget that spears and other poled weapons were much more common, and often the "primary" weapon of a soldier. Yes, part of that reason is because they were cheaper to produce... But a big part of that is that they were so damn effective, and the learning curve was much easier than swordsmanship. Being able to close that distance usually involved someone with a lot of skill, and hopefully heavy armor.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:06 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Right now I have a belt mounted black label tomahawk. And a pack mounted Walther tac 2 machete

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/knives/detail.asp?fid=118G&cid=320&tid=110BL

http://smile.amazon.com/Walther-Machete-15-75-Non-Serrated-Sheath/dp/B007BKKZ48/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416959512&sr=8-1&keywords=walther+machete

Ohne selbst sich zu verzehren,

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:40 pm 

I'd just step out in the garage, fire up the grinder and put a point on
a 5 foot piece of rebar for jabbing things and put an edge on a short
section of leaf spring for whacking things. Both pretty sturdy and
effective. Wrap the handle end using the tape from my hockey bag.
I'm a simple boy using simple toys.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:54 am 

What was said way back on page 5. My goal is to survive a melee. Right foot and left foot. One used after the other to disengage from melee range.

If my primary doesn't get me out of the situation, I'll use the IHBMOw/R- improvised heavy blunt metal object with reach.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:13 pm 

Could never figure that out myself. A type of mace and a shield would work for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:14 pm 

Remember people! OTHER WEAPONS!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:01 am 

Hello folks, I'm completely new to all things prepping and living in Sweden with all it's restrictions on gun ownership decent mêlée weapons makes sense as a first step to prepping. At least as defense goes. So I'm making my first larger camping knife.
I'm about to heat treat it and if it chops as well as I designed it to do it'd my backup. Next I'm making a ka-bar swabbie replica with a handle made to fit in an extension handle. The ext. handle will be steel shod at the connection to the ka-bar. This effectively gives me a club/ steel capped quarterstaff depending on how long I decide to make it, a naginata, a short sword and my backup blade. So club/staff and swabbie counting the knife as a tool rather than a weapon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:35 am 

In places where the ownership pf "weapons" is questionable a really good walking stick/ cane is a good alternative and there are several self defense models on the market and books (on Amazon) that teach the self defense techniques with a good cane. A really good hog cane will break a skill no problem.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:19 am 

I was going to do this joke where I weld spikes on to my Maglite. Because nobody is ever going to do that right?

http://www.xcapecap.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:43 pm 

drop bear wrote:
I was going to do this joke where I weld spikes on to my Maglite. Because nobody is ever going to do that right?

Google "Tactical Pen".

Personally, I'd take a sturdy walking stick. If I have to use it, I want some standoff distance and I want both hands powering it. And, I'd take a WW1 era trench knife or bayonet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I believe my first post in this thread was praising the capabilities of the brush hook. Welp, ZGB did a test with it and I still stand by my original brush hook/machete melee load out:

Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:54 pm 

Dogan wrote:
I believe my first post in this thread was praising the capabilities of the brush hook. Welp, ZGB did a test with it and I still stand by my original brush hook/machete melee load out:

I've seen a lot of the smaller ones down here used for clearing chaparral, but I know then as brush axes.

Hmm, excellent cutting ability, not overly heavy (~3 lbs). I may have to change my selections...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:22 pm 

I will take a sling. Yea the same ones they use in the Bible. String, leather patch, rock. It's light, ammo is very available, you can carry a long distance sling and a short distance sling as a headband just like the ancient Greeks. They are suprisingly accurate and deadly. You have use of both your hands and don't tire out.
Xenophon certainly used them to good use.
Take this you Babylonian Bastards

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:41 pm 

The Twizzler wrote:
I will take a sling. Yea the same ones they use in the Bible. String, leather patch, rock. It's light, ammo is very available, you can carry a long distance sling and a short distance sling as a headband just like the ancient Greeks. They are suprisingly accurate and deadly. You have use of both your hands and don't tire out.

So, million dollar question: How far can you, personally, reliably hit a man sized target? I'm not talking about some of the Balearic slingers who can take somebodies head off from 30m, but you. It takes me about a 4-6 tries to connect at 20 yards.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:00 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

The Twizzler wrote:

Twizz, I think you missing the point
Several common definitions regarding melee exclude ammo using or ranged weaponry
From Wiki
"A melee weapon is any weapon that does not involve a projectile meaning in normal use it is simultaneously in contact with the user and the target; compare: Ranged weapons."

My favorites which I own, spade shovel with one sharpened edge and a three pound drilling hammer

A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:53 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

The Twizzler wrote:

Do you practice with it enough?

I mean, I know I don't practice with my bow enough. It takes dedication to be good enough.

And melee means close combat, slings are not really in that category.

However, anyone who has read the Anabasis knows how awesome Xenophon's speech on ranged weaponry is.

My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:16 pm 

I once used a dead goblin for a melee attack in DnD.

Can I have a dead goblin?

Speaking of dead things and DnD, who is the necromancer that revived this thread???

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:43 am 

That's a good point but you have never been hit with a pillow case with a bar of soap in it have you? It really hurts, back when I was in Fraternity in college (good times :rofl: ). Replace soap with a shaped stone and that is an effective melee weapon as long as you don't release. Imagine a fist sized stone spinning at the end of 3 feet of rope as fast as can be spun. I could release it or I could just hit you directly. The Romans often made them from lead. So lets say a 1/2 pound lead ball being spun at 100-150 mph thats deadly. The Romans even ordered a special tool carried by each centurion to pry these from the bodies of the injured.

Ad'lan wrote:
The Twizzler wrote:

Do you practice with it enough?

I mean, I know I don't practice with my bow enough. It takes dedication to be good enough.

And melee means close combat, slings are not really in that category.

However, anyone who has read the Anabasis knows how awesome Xenophon's speech on ranged weaponry is.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:28 am 

The Twizzler wrote:
Imagine a fist sized stone spinning at the end of 3 feet of rope as fast as can be spun. I could release it or I could just hit you directly.

If you use it as a contact weapon, it's basically a slungshot with no assurances that it won't turn into just a handful of string after the first strike or two. While slungshots and monkey fists have proven to be effective improvised weapons for centuries, my first choice of melee weapons wouldn't be what amounts to a pet rock on a leash.

All that said, the sling is a badass low tech weapon and apparently good for psychological warfare as well. whistling sling bullets

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:25 pm 

Close_enough wrote:
drop bear wrote:

Google "Tactical Pen".

Personally, I'd take a sturdy walking stick. If I have to use it, I want some standoff distance and I want both hands powering it. And, I'd take a WW1 era trench knife or bayonet.

Rocking the sheleligh would be cool. Gangs of new york style.
https://youtu.be/LWezyvsMXKE

One handed is better if you have a torch or a gun though

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:29 pm 

yossarian wrote:
The Twizzler wrote:
Imagine a fist sized stone spinning at the end of 3 feet of rope as fast as can be spun. I could release it or I could just hit you directly.

If you use it as a contact weapon, it's basically a slungshot with no assurances that it won't turn into just a handful of string after the first strike or two. While slungshots and monkey fists have proven to be effective improvised weapons for centuries, my first choice of melee weapons wouldn't be what amounts to a pet rock on a leash.

All that said, the sling is a badass low tech weapon and apparently good for psychological warfare as well. whistling sling bullets

Curious as to how well you could throw a sock with a rock in it. Because that is a weapon you could pretty much do at any time any where.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:14 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

drop bear wrote:
Curious as to how well you could throw a sock with a rock in it. Because that is a weapon you could pretty much do at any time any where.

Related to sock with rock or soap in it - as a real life non-ZPAW expedient weapons, I always used to carry a bike lock. Being a cheap bastard, my bikelock was a steel chain with a modest solid-body padlock on it. Yes, it was a bike lock first and foremost, but I always stored it with the top link of the chain clipped to the top of my bike pack - both so that when I was locking up I could grab it quickly, but also so that if the need arose (lived, worked and commuted through some SUPER sketchy areas of my AO) I could just reach over my shoulder, grab it and be ready to go.

Something to consider. But please note this only really applies to people who ride bikes.

Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next